Is anything getting built where they recently demolished the Varsity Courts just north of 18/19
It looks like the plan is to do utilities, surface works, and grading in 2024 to open up blocks 11A/B, 16A/B, 17A/B for development. I assume we might see something being built there in 2025 and beyond. Beyond that the focus seems to shift to the South Lands as the next big phase of development. Varsity Courts aren't going to be fully demolished until 2026, so it'll be a while before the rest of those blocks get built out. Hard to say when Blocks 18 and 19 will be developed, but it would be nice to see the Main Street extended another few blocks!

I’m just amazed at how fast UD is going. Not a single slow down or break since it popped off. Just fantastic.

I walked through the south lands today and it looks like some grading work has begun:

PXL_20240521_184153672.jpg

PXL_20240521_184203727.jpg

Also, the Ronald McDonald House expansion is coming along:

PXL_20240521_183856626.jpg

Looks like Truman has another one coming for University District. Not a lot of details about location yet, but some renderings are up on their website:
1718050067926.png

1718050088438.png

1718050111112.png

Are there any bars/pubs in the area? Or is it just Canadian Brewhouse? I feel once it is dense and is near campus the place will need some sorta evening options for mild nightlife

Are there any bars/pubs in the area? Or is it just Canadian Brewhouse? I feel once it is dense and is near campus the place will need some sorta evening options for mild nightlife
They have the Brewhouse and The Banquet right next to each other - haven't been there but both give me generic-pub vibes. Still though, big, late night and lively bar energy. Marda Loop and some of the other urban redevelopment hubs haven't got anything like that yet, in size at least.

Where these U/D bars excel though is the design - both have giant south-facing patios overlooking a large park and plaza space instead of a road. The Brewhouse has multiple elevated/rooftop ones I think.

As far as I am aware, this might actually be the only bar patios in the city that don't front onto a road? I have no idea if that's true, but feels at least mostly correct? Wild we don't have more areas that support this.

Banquet is kinda fun, they have a small 5 pin bowling alley and a massive patio. There is also a resto-lounge called Borough, it's a bit more upscale. They need another pub in there, hopefully one that doesn't allow kids!

Back