Another DP has been submitted for the West District neighbourhood, for 15 buildings (townhouse complex). This one is actually owned by Trico Homes I think, based on the giant billboard the have set-up at the current end of 81st Street SW, where this project is going. No drawings yet, but the DP link is here:

An update to the community project map, to show this project:
1651094853500.png

The DP drawings for the Trico townhoms are now posted. Just elevations, and no site plan from the looks of it. They look to be more traditional in design, and less modern than the Truman ones built.
Pretty typical of all of them.
1651779424062.png

I bet they will be very similar to the ones that Trico built just to the west, on 85th Street:

The DP drawings for the Trico townhoms are now posted. Just elevations, and no site plan from the looks of it. They look to be more traditional in design, and less modern than the Truman ones built.
View attachment 398188

I bet they will be very similar to the ones that Trico built just to the west, on 85th Street:
My live reaction to those elevations:
Could be saved with materials maybe, but looking like it'll be Hardie Panel and Easy Trim.

View attachment 398188

Truman should have forced them to work with S2!! 😂

This really ruins the vibe. I was hoping for something more University District-like.

Not sure which project it will be for (maybe the Truman Headquarters building), but the marketing is being previewed for Truman's next one in West District, called Oak & Olive:
1652222929437.png

This image appears on the West District community website, so not sure if it is something else:
1652223029844.png

Looking at that second image more, it looks like it is the bigger buildings to the north of the Gateway condos, which are #1 on the map above. They are in from 85th street, not sure if that lower building is a Save on Foods, or if it is meant to represent the current sales centre on that lot.

They fade the bottom of the above rendering, but all I see is endless parking lots. I can't unsee it!! 🤢Reminds me of the parking lots west of Eau Claire. Good density and then a sea of parking lots to counteract the density.

Well, if they have landed a Save on Foods, which would be a major coup for that development, and bring the 3rd walkable grocery store to the area (No Frills and Co-op are just down the road), I am sure it is with the requirement that it has a larger parking lot, as it is still a suburban grocery store. So long as the "back" of it has shops facing Broadcast Ave, I am less concerned. This will still be greater than 95% of all areas of Calgary (suburban or inner-city) with the overall design and density.

They fade the bottom of the above rendering, but all I see is endless parking lots. I can't unsee it!! 🤢Reminds me of the parking lots west of Eau Claire. Good density and then a sea of parking lots to counteract the density.
The bottom of the faded out render looks to be already built out suburban commercial and not part of Truman's West District masterplan. The white building in the bottom left I think is the existing World Bier Haus. All in all a pretty small parking field that is tucked away from the main street. My two cents is that I wouldn't say they are counteracting the density by any means for this context. I'm happy to see the best parts of the plan protected and focus on the edges that can be salvaged and matter.

Well, if they have landed a Save on Foods, which would be a major coup for that development, and bring the 3rd walkable grocery store to the area (No Frills and Co-op are just down the road), I am sure it is with the requirement that it has a larger parking lot, as it is still a suburban grocery store. So long as the "back" of it has shops facing Broadcast Ave, I am less concerned. This will still be greater than 95% of all areas of Calgary (suburban or inner-city) with the overall design and density.
Liner retail on Broadcast Avenue would be a great outcome indeed. Hard to imagine they'd make the gateway site to their main street a dead zone given the upfront quality investments.

Nothing says Calgary like 2 types of trees we can't grow here! lol. I know we can grow a Bur Oak, but that's not what people think of when you say Oak.
You can grow a Russian Olive tree too, so technically we can grow an oak and an olive tree. Marketing folks just barely made it through that hoop ;)

Back