The marketing for Mondrian has gone live now, it is the project I found a few posts up. It will be located on the north side of Broadcast Ave, between the Oak & Olive proposal and 81st Street SW:
1656990675409.png

1656990834203.png

And the updated community map:
1656990963970.png

Would be good to see this kind of 3-bedroom unit anywhere more central. 3 bed under 900 sqft is a very efficient layout:

1657036726620.png

This type of thing isn't talked about enough in affordability - unit size. If through the building design you can centralize and share costs for storage of bulky things and amenities (bicycle, parking and other storage elsewhere), then you don't need as much storage in-unit and allows smaller floorplans, all of a sudden you can provide 3 bedrooms that are actually practical and affordable (assuming you design them properly).

A little attention to detail on the sound-proofing and build quality and you have created a truly affordable, family-sized unit (by contemporary family sizes). Put all that in a good, walkable location - game-changer.

You can see the weirdness and poor layouts in the existing 3-bedroom apartment market in the Beltline. They exist, but generally in 2 formats - a 1970s/80s era, 1,000+ sqft 3-bedroom unit with high fees, no storage and few amenities or a 2000-2010 era, 1,400+ sqft 3-bedroom penthouse style thing with huge purchase cost, high fees and good amenities.

There are niche markets for both these 3-bedroom products but neither exist in any material quantity, and neither are efficient per sqft in cost or value.

Efficient 3-bedroom units are the backbone housing stock across the planet in most major cities. We need some more local examples like this.

Last edited:
Would be good to see this kind of 3-bedroom unit anywhere more central. 3 bed under 900 sqft is a very efficient layout:

View attachment 411774

This type of thing isn't talked about enough in affordability - unit size. If through the building design you can centralize and share costs for storage of bulky things and amenities (bicycle, parking and other storage elsewhere), then you don't need as much storage in-unit and allows smaller floorplans, all of a sudden you can provide 3 bedrooms that are actually practical and affordable (assuming you design them properly).

A little attention to detail on the sound-proofing and build quality and you have created a truly affordable, family-sized unit (by contemporary family sizes). Put all that in a good, walkable location - game-changer.

You can see the weirdness and poor layouts in the existing 3-bedroom apartment market in the Beltline. They exist, but generally in 2 formats - a 1970s/80s era, 1,000+ sqft 3-bedroom unit with high fees, no storage and few amenities or a 2000-2010 era, 1,400+ 3-bedroom penthouse style thing with huge purchase cost, high fees and good amenities.

There are niche markets for both these 3-bedroom products but neither exist in any material quantity, and neither are efficient per sqft in cost or value.

Efficient 3-bedroom units are the backbone housing stock across the planet in most major cities. We need some more local examples like this.
Love the layout, i am very curious what pricepoint these will come in at. Vancouver has struggled to get anyone to do 3 bedroom units because in most places they were not cost-competitive with townhomes and were priced so high they didn't sell well. Curious to see if they have cracked the code on providing reasonably priced 3 bedroom apartment units, my gut tells me these will be as expensive or possibly more expensive than comparable 3-bed townhomes. Also, 3 bed apartments weren't as competitive with townhomes for the exact reason haltcatchfire just mentioned.

Love the layout, i am very curious what pricepoint these will come in at. Vancouver has struggled to get anyone to do 3 bedroom units because in most places they were not cost-competitive with townhomes and were priced so high they didn't sell well. Curious to see if they have cracked the code on providing reasonably priced 3 bedroom apartment units, my gut tells me these will be as expensive or possibly more expensive than comparable 3-bed townhomes. Also, 3 bed apartments weren't as competitive with townhomes for the exact reason haltcatchfire just mentioned.
Totally agree - it's more of a comment that a small (sub-900 sqft) efficient floor-plan 3 bedroom units don't exist much at all in Calgary, in any format. Townhomes are great and have some layout benefits, but have accessibility issues + can be unaffordable in many locations. Even in high-priced areas, 900 sqft is usually cheaper than 1,200+ sqft.

I called them family-sized which is true - but in reality it's the flexibility that a 3-bedroom space allows that's the real benefit. Some will be empty-nesters with a two guest rooms, some will be parents + a single child + an office.

This kind of style of unit can also work to delay when a family feels they "have to" move. Add a kid (or two) and you can make it work for a number of years. In a two-bedroom apartment format you have that second kid or 1 kid and a guest and all of a sudden your place isn't convenient anymore immediately. This layout buys some time to think about it but it's not so large that you are over future-proofed with a ton of space you pay for but can't/won't/will never use.

Last edited:

Back