This is one location where almost anything built there would be a win. For the most part it's a pretty decent build, and as an added bonus, there's now a stretch of proper sidewalk along that section.

I mean technically that stretch had a sidewalk, but, it barely passes the definition.
View attachment 551757
Wow that is one desolate looking image. So glad that the intersection will see some life now.

Definitely a win, just need something to happen with the west side of 14th and 10st now!
A couple of years ago I would have confidently said more development there was going to happen, but these days I honestly don't know. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but the residential development trend is blocks and blocks of 6 storey wood frame builds in places like Seton, Skyview, Sage View etc..

The suburbs are where most of the growth in this city is, so it's not surprising that's where most of the development is. The downtown areas will start to pick up again once interest rates start to come down, lots of stuff in the pipeline. Not sure about any major projects in Sunalta though.

Do we have any info on what the street interface with 14th will look like? Went by on the weekend and it's still hostile and uninviting, and it looks like this development won't change anything. Hope I'm wrong...

Do we have any info on what the street interface with 14th will look like? Went by on the weekend and it's still hostile and uninviting, and it looks like this development won't change anything. Hope I'm wrong...
It's challenging because it's a major area for drivers exiting the downtown to go to work. I have to drive through the intersection to get to work most days, and unfortunately there aren't many options public transit wise that could serve as an alternative given where I live and where I work. Man, to live in a city that is walkable with robust public transit... one can dream 🥰

129140701.jpg

1035483825.jpg

The sidewalk is very wide. They have built a dog park next to 14st as well. Wondering what they will do with the outdoor space? A patio for a restaurant?

Sloped grass that's already dead? That's a big FAIL.
I mean, this one might have a legitimate excuse - they did plant this sloped sod about 24-48 hours before citywide watering restrictions went in on outside watering. Not that we haven't seen dead sod on new developments regardless of the water supply situation before though!

Oh sure, bad timing for the grass. What I'm saying is it shouldn't just be sloped grass that will die anyway, there should be some terraced planters or something creative, not the bare minimum.
Totally agree - it's clearly just a box check, not any intention to make a meaningful green space that does anything more than exist.

I find the site-specific green space stuff often falls into awkward gap, especially when the developer doesn't have any eye or interest for the value of making their buildings nice places to be around. The rules don't seem to always help either - seems like we are both too prescriptive (e.g. you must have green space in all situations) and not prescriptive enough (e.g. sloping grass hills are okay even though they do nothing to support the intention of requiring green space in the first place).

Back