Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
This town could definitely use way more graffiti artists. I'd love to see alleys like this... look like this.

A little Melbourne in our alleyways wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately losers that tag everything are everywhere by the looks of it. The alleyway below was very cool when first painted, and people have come along and covered a lot of it with tags.

Melbourne, Australia
by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Melbourne, Australia

Definitely would love to see this kind of work in Calgary.

Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:
A little Melbourne in our alleyways wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately losers that tag everything are everywhere by the looks of it. The alleyway below was very cool when first painted, and people have come along and covered a lot of it with tags.

Melbourne, Australia

I know it's in the eye of the beholder, but I don't understand how anyone can look at this wall and not see beauty. It's basically a Jackson Pollock. I actually prefer the spontaneity and transgression of this graffiti to the staged murals - and it's certainly better than a blank concrete wall.

I know it's in the eye of the beholder, but I don't understand how anyone can look at this wall and not see beauty. It's basically a Jackson Pollock. I actually prefer the spontaneity and transgression of this graffiti to the staged murals - and it's certainly better than a blank concrete wall.
I know where you're coming from, but I would like the randomness and the spontaneity more if it wasn't tagging and was instead smaller pieces of something with a bit of creativity.

They are not really the same thing. You see taggers having less and less respect for the art pieces by tagging over them. It's no longer about artists honing their skills by using the city as a blank canvas. It's simply, in your face, vandalism to share with friends.

I also happen to like the shadowy, artistic self indulgence over commissioned work.

2017 July 17 207.JPG
2017 July 17 208.JPG
2017 July 17 209.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 July 17 207.JPG
    2017 July 17 207.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 459
  • 2017 July 17 208.JPG
    2017 July 17 208.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 466
  • 2017 July 17 209.JPG
    2017 July 17 209.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 470
Great shot. I had no idea what was going on behind the board. I'm kinda surprised to see that they're only excavating the southern half of the lot. Does that have any relevance?

I'm not sure I follow. The tagging has to be part of the random spontaneity? I'm not an artist, but I don't think of tagging as art...even a basic happy face done in spray paint would be art IMHO.

I'm saying that cities with thriving graffiti scenes are also cities that have a lot of random tagging. Cities that crack down on tagging are not going to have thriving graffiti scenes. I'm also saying that graffiti artists don't come out of nowhere. They emerge out of local cultures where tagging is rampant and probably begin their "careers" by tagging.

I'll also add that tagging is really the least of our worries in Calgary. The architects and developers that have been doing things like this to our streets are guilty of vandalism on a far greater scale. Bad architecture and urban design is the main threat to street life in this city, not tagging.

Wow! I am so happy to see this!

Great shot. I had no idea what was going on behind the board. I'm kinda surprised to see that they're only excavating the southern half of the lot. Does that have any relevance?

If you look closely, you'll see they are excavating the NW corner of the block as well. They probably just haven't gotten to the NE corner yet because it's such a massive area. All the drillers/pile drivers are in that area so they must just be finishing up putting in the shoring piles. :) Great to see the whole thing under way!

Back