Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
This is gonna be one massive pit when it gets going.

Wow! I am so happy to see this!
If you look closely, you'll see they are excavating the NW corner of the block as well. They probably just haven't gotten to the NE corner yet because it's such a massive area. All the drillers/pile drivers are in that area so they must just be finishing up putting in the shoring piles. :) Great to see the whole thing under way!

Hi Group,
In those Pictures of the Site, is that small Storey Bldg also Coming Out as Well? Not sure if they Own the Whole Block etc. Thanks for any Update.
Tnx,
Operater.

Hi Group,
In those Pictures of the Site, is that small Storey Bldg also Coming Out as Well? Not sure if they Own the Whole Block etc. Thanks for any Update.
Tnx,
Operater.
That smaller building is staying. Cidex only controls the portions of the block that are already excavated/disturbed through construction.

Hi Group,
Tnx for the Update. Somehow I Can't see that Smaller Bldg lasting for a Long Time. Just that the Land gets to B Worth a Lot More in Value that its Cheaper really to Sell Out, take the Money and run really. True we can disagree on This One but I've Seen it B 4. A Portion of a Block Stays and at Some Point in Time is Bought Out to Complete a Project of Sorts
Tnx,
Operater.

I hope it isn't purchased by Cidex and added onto the West Village. This development already covers too much area with a long, bland podium and triplets

That little building at the corner of 11th Street & 8th Ave SW is in the renders. I wouldn't mind if they did something to spice it up a bit. This is total conjecture, but it kinda looks like it's low income housing, I'm guessing Cidex wouldn't be allowed to demolish it without adding more back. Low income housing doesn't have to look bad. I like the results of the reclad they did on that tower in Spruce Cliff. Something similar might work on that little guy.

I don't normally like large multi tower developments, but in this case the podium and the extra density from the three towers will be nice and the project as a whole will do wonders for improving the 11th street connection between Beltline and DT.

If the podium gets built as designed, it definitely won't be bland, it could turn out to be one of the nicer elements of this project.

It's simply too big. The storefront repeat themselves. The material palette is the same across the entire frontage. They had the opportunity to break up the block to create inviting public spaces within the development ( like the Rift) but, instead, it appears the interior is just a courtyard and driveway for residents. I'm happy to see the lot eventually developed with something entirely different from the West Village development including a tower that isn't a clone of the triplets.

I don't normally like large multi tower developments, but in this case the podium and the extra density from the three towers will be nice and the project as a whole will do wonders for improving the 11th street connection between Beltline and DT.

Yeah, I'm hoping once this quadrant of the core and the adjacent quadrant of the Beltline get intensified, they'll separate 11th street from the tracks. It's absurd that a municipality of 1.3 million has an at-grade train crossing in its downtown core.

Except that it's the CPR we're talking about. They'll probably tell us all to take a hike.

Man do I really want them to bring passenger rail back to downtown on that line.

You are always going to get a big podium on a project that takes up an entire city block (minus that stupid little building), this one has a unique angled facade with lots of different materials that should make for some interesting retail. I agree about the internal part, but that will mostly be service / parkade access similar to Keynote. Making something like the riff won't happen unless the city forces it to as that will take away saleable space.
All imagaes from this website http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/west-village-towers/
SE_50-08.jpg

streetscape_14-08-13.jpg
NW.jpg
SW_50-07.jpg

I like it! 'Course, cheap finishes will probably dampen my enthusiasm. 'Tis the way of the world.

Last edited:
The angles are different. I don't find them at all attractive. The different colour panels don't do much to break up the monotony either. So much more could have been done to break up this block including individualizing the 3 towers instead of copying and pasting. This is what Vancouver does extremely well (maybe a little too well?). I don't consider this a good jumping off point for this neighbourhood. Density alone isn't enough to get me excited about something.

Back