Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Which branch of the Loblaws brand is going to fill it? A Shoppers Drug Mart? I can't imagine they will put 2 grocery stores in the downtown, with this one and the Superstore in East Village.

I’m so curious to know what the retail bays look like inside. Smart to lease to one tenant than multiple, because I think these were going to sit empty a long time if leased piecemeal. I’m guessing Loblaw got a smoking deal.

Which branch of the Loblaws brand is going to fill it? A Shoppers Drug Mart? I can't imagine they will put 2 grocery stores in the downtown, with this one and the Superstore in East Village.

I believe that it's going to be a No Frills. Loblaws was also eyeing the retail space at the new building on the corner of 10th ave and 14th street, but they didn't sign the lease.

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Loblaws is planning to lease out the retail portion of the podium. Everyone loves to hate this podium, but I don't think it's so bad from an urban design point of view. A line of trees separates the sidewalk from the roadway. If the city was ambitious and built a cycle track on the north side of 9th ave, from 11th street to Macloed trail, then it would be a half-decent sidewalk to walk on.

View attachment 533802
What's your source? Do you have a timeline?

I’m so curious to know what the retail bays look like inside. Smart to lease to one tenant than multiple, because I think these were going to sit empty a long time if leased piecemeal. I’m guessing Loblaw got a smoking deal.
Drive by in the dark and you get a good idea, it is one big space that a smaller scale no frills would do well in.

The timing of adding a No frills makes sense, given the third tower is going ahead. Between the three towers and the cluster of towers to the north, there is enough residents to support it. It will also be super handy for people using the LRT with Kerby station two blocks away. It might be the catalyst that gets the rest of the retail going.

Back