News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

That might play out well in the long-term if the west end of downtown can add a number of residents to the point it actually becomes more residential than commercial. It also might create a decently dense residential swath from the Beltline via 8th street though DT continuing on through to Kensington. We almost have that now, and with proper pedestrian upgrades along 8th street through DT to the river it could be a game changer for DT.
I was thinking is the nexen building being empty not a huge contributor to the west part of downtown's vacancy rate? When a large building has 100% vacancy surely that has to weigh on the numbers?

I was thinking is the nexen building being empty not a huge contributor to the west part of downtown's vacancy rate? When a large building has 100% vacancy surely that has to weigh on the numbers?
Nexen is 600K sq ft, so about 5% of the total downtown vacancy. I don't know how much of the office space is in what they consider the west end, but I think it's likely 15-25% of the total space; at those rates, Nexen would be 20%-12% of west end vacancy, respectively.

Nexen is 600K sq ft, so about 5% of the total downtown vacancy. I don't know how much of the office space is in what they consider the west end, but I think it's likely 15-25% of the total space; at those rates, Nexen would be 20%-12% of west end vacancy, respectively.
My high-level math says without Nexen the west side wouldn't be any worse off than the rest of downtown. Give or take a few percentage points.

My high-level math says without Nexen the west side wouldn't be any worse off than the rest of downtown. Give or take a few percentage points.
I think that only works if you assume the west end is a quite small portion of the total downtown office space, on the order of 5%.

Here's the math assuming 10% in west end:
45M sq ft total * 0.1 pct in west end = 4.5M sq ft in west end
4.5 M * 0.44 vacancy rate =1.98M sq ft vacant
West end excluding Nexen: (1.98-0.6 = 1.38 M sq ft vacant) / (4.5-0.6 = 3.9M sq ft total) = 35.4% vacancy

At 5%:
45*0.05 = 2.25 total space; 2.25*0.44 = 0.99 vacant
(0.99-0.6=0.39) / (2.25-0.6=1.65) = 23.6%, comparable to the rest of downtown.

(At 15% of the market, vacancy ex Nexen is 38.5%, and at 20% it's 40%.)

I don't know how much they consider the west end to be, but 5% seems low; my guess would be 15%. And of course, the vacancy rate anywhere else would be better if you ignored the single worst building in it.

It makes sense that even ex Nexen the west end would have higher vacancy rates; it has a lot of class B and C buildings, and I don't think any class AA ones.

I found the end of this article interesting... And makes a great point:

For context:

Justin Simaluk and his wife have lived in Calgary’s inner city for five years, but the recent birth of their child means they are already worried about where their child will go to school.

Simaluk said he got a letter from the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) last year that warned them that their neighbourhood school is now full and new Kindergarten to Grade 6 kids will be overflowed.

In an online update posted in September 2023, Connaught School administration said overflowed students will now have to attend Wildwood School because Ramsay School and Earl Grey School have reached their capacity and can’t accommodate additional overflow students.

For Simaluk’s family, that means a 20-minute drive or a bus ride that will take more than 30 minutes.

The point I found interesting:

Simaluk is hoping the city, the CBE and the province will also acknowledge that many couples want to raise their families in inner-city neighbourhoods. He said the CBE needs to be more communicative with families living in neighbourhoods with overflow schools, and the city needs to have a proper census to know where families are living.

“I don’t think a lot of people look at the Beltline as a residential neighbourhood, even though it’s one of the most populated and dense residential neighborhoods in the city,” he said.

“If the city wants people to adopt higher density living and living more sustainably, then we have to go beyond services like a bar or restaurant. We need to start providing base-level services like schools and childcare and the bare minimum that we need to live in Canada.

“If you want families to be moving and living like this, you need to support families.”

So... when is the province paying to convert a downtown west-end/Beltline office to a school?

Just thinking of something small that can take some extra students until schools can be expanded or built. However, given our governments track record with schools, temporary would mean like 30 years...

It's probably been 25 years since I was in the Beltline pool, but IIRC, it seems to be not well suited for classrooms...

One challenge is elementary schools need fields/playgrounds. Maybe a rooftop could be converted to outdoor space to make it work, but hard to find an existing building that has lots of room for kids to play outside.

Last edited:
One challenge is elementary schools need fields/playgrounds. Maybe a rooftop could be converted to outdoor space to make it work, but hard to find an existing building that has lots of room for kids to play outside.
I did second grade at the MacDougall School dt. At the time, the entire lot was paved and called a playground. Times were different as all kids walked to school through dt.

Using this image (the interactive map is no longer active) from a 6+ year-old CBC article about office vacancy, I'll assume the empty buildings are likely not much more full.
1724443153528.png

Near the Beltline I see Fina across from Nexen but we know that is already a conversion that is lined up.

Across the street from that though there's this. Its advantage is you cross 8th Ave and you have Century Gardens as a potential run around spot for the kids. I think this is probably best suited as a Middle School/Junior High though.
1724443857041.png

You could put a sports court or mini field on the roof.
1724444000128.png

In the Beltline, what about this building, why can't it be a permanent school?
1724443560151.png

It has some out door space you could fence off and build a park, and you could do a very small field or sports court on the roof.
1724443715493.png

Back