News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Losing our Bay building would be a tragedy! we probably have the nicest in the country! Winnipeg's store is pretty nice too, would be a shame to see it go as well. According to the report, the Winnipeg store is essentially worthless, not too surprising given the market in that city.

The article mentions Vancouver, Edmonton & Winnipeg as up for sale. Up for sale does not mean the building will be torn down in all cases. HBC would merely lease the space from the buyer in Vancouver and Edmonton.
The only site that appears in jeopardy is Winnipeg as there is no value to the building itself after HBC closes. It would have to come down so that something of value could be built in it's place.
I have not heard any talk about HBC closing the downtown Calgary store but the way retail business is suffering in the core right now ... who knows what the future holds. :oops:

Doesn't specifically mention Calgary, but it says "This would likely be the fate of other HBC downtown locations in Canada" so I think it may be up to the city to protect the building if HBC won't.

When the Guild opened in part of the HBC space, did they add to HBC's bottom line, or the owner of the mall?

It would be completely insane to demo the HBC store in this day and age. That would be akin to Montreal demoing the Bonsecours Market building. I feel like it would have a really low chance of happening, but stupider things have been proposed. This is one of our last 10 major historic structures, it's shocking that it's not protected really. What is wrong with the Calgary Heritage Authority?
It's out of the Calgary Heritage Authority's hands (now known as Heritage Calgary). The Alberta government has the legal power to legally protect without requiring compensation but it's rarely used, Calgary city council also has the power but they would need to "compensate for loss of economic value" should they go ahead. Although council has this power I don't believe it has ever been used. If the HBC building was at risk it would be an interesting test to see if they have the will to use it, and by extension the will to prevent demolitions of historic Stephen Avenue.

Back