News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Read up on substance induced psychosis - it's not a coincidence that we've seen an increase in random violence and social disorder alongside the rise in meth over the last decade.
Not like that is the only factor at play. Certainly upped the urgency for the general population, but there is the underlying opioid crisis providing a supply of ready meth users, that we should address too.

Keep in mind that the mental illness is usually caused by the addiction. Solve the addiction issue and you solve the mental illness.
I don't know that this is a fact. There are many types of mental illnesses. It's probably best to think of them as mutually reinforcing.

Anyway, we've tried for decades to rehab addicts who live on the street. Without a stable living arrangement, it's virtually impossible to resolve both addiction and mental illness.

Rehab is not a silver bullet, and service providers know this. A lot of the talk (especially among conservative politicians) promoting rehab is just thinly-veiled moralism about making people prove their worthiness before they receive any help. I think we need a lot less moralism on both sides. Demonizing the homeless is not going to solve anything. Nor is getting overly hung up on superficial displays of empathy and drawn out debates over which terminology is the most "humanizing". It's a problem to be solved. A really difficult problem. But we're not completely in the dark here. There are solutions that have proven more effective than others. The more we implement those solutions, but better they can be fine-tuned and further improved.

Last edited:
Of course it is. Barely even veiled.

Was the DI lease extension ever in doubt?
I think there was some discussion about moving it to another location. Would be a waste of money though, the current location is ideally suited to it's purpose. The effect of the DIC on the neighbourhood is not all positive, but this is the reality of a major city in the 21st century.

Reactions: Urb
I think there was some discussion about moving it to another location. Would be a waste of money though, the current location is ideally suited to it's purpose. The effect of the DIC on the neighbourhood is not all positive, but this is the reality of a major city in the 21st century.

The effect of the DIC on the neighborhood is 100% negative, but I agree, probably not worth moving it at this time, and we still come back to the question of where to move it too.

Move it to an industrial area, somewhere closer to Manchester where it’s not out the suburbs but not right downtown. I’m sorry, but it’s time downtown get cleaned up and returned back to the law abiding citizens. Whatever demons these people are battling they can still receive the help and treatment they need, but not in the heart of downtown. Tired of reading stories from people being harassed by meth heads or walking over around an overdosed body. Downtown should not be their playground to destroy. Getting sick and tired of the lawlessness that goes on down there and destroying the urban renewal efforts.

Back