News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I recall a while back there was talks about a pilot to make a section of street in Inglewood (I believe) all modes open, as in cars, bikes and pedestrians sharing the entire space. No designated pedestrian crossings or bike lanes... Did this ever happen? This is something I could see 3 Ave between 10 & 9A being a good candidate for, especially since it is almost used as such already...

I like woonerfs myself and 3rd ave would work for that one or two block section. It's a shame that the Inglewood proposal didn't get traction....I mean 268 residents out of 4,008 isn't a good consensus, and it also looks like it was an organized Nimby campaign that brought it down.

Bow to Bluff looks fuckin sweet. Way better than the original design. Way more thoughtful.

I also like that idea of the woonerf on 3rd avenue, as it is now traffic is already very slow moving there as most are turning off of 10th street for Safeway anyways. You've got a nice assortment of shops on the south side of the street (Second Cup, Sidewalk Citizen Bakery, and Sunnyside Natural Market) and then the little blue condos east of them. Lots of pedestrian and bike traffic, open that road up as a woonerf plus the Bow to Bluff improvements right there and it could be really cool.

Some updates, lots changing on the retail landscape of Kensington. Apparently the Starbucks on Kensington Road is closing down, as it Julio's Barrio at the end of the month (may be getting renovated into something else).

While not quite in Kensington the Vendome block has seen Melange for the Home actually move out for real this time, and there is a BP with work being done on that side. Believe it is the Teatro group so it could be Vendome expanding into that space too.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. A quick look on the development map shows the following:
For the Starbucks location there is an approved Cannabis Store, however that parcel of land contains more than just the historic building Starbucks is in, so I am not sure if that is what is going there:

For Julio's Barrio it is tough as well, as the entire block is one parcel. But there are currently 2 change of use DPs:
General Retail and Consumer Service:
And Fitness Center:

Some updates, lots changing on the retail landscape of Kensington. Apparently the Starbucks on Kensington Road is closing down, as it Julio's Barrio at the end of the month (may be getting renovated into something else).

While not quite in Kensington the Vendome block has seen Melange for the Home actually move out for real this time, and there is a BP with work being done on that side. Believe it is the Teatro group so it could be Vendome expanding into that space too.

Vendome could definitely use more space, they are crazy busy. Never understood what Melange for the Home was doing in Sunnyside, just doesn't seem like a Louis XIV furniture type of neighborhood.

Starbucks is closing 3 locations in Calgary - Kensington, Bow Tower, and one other.

Vendome could definitely use more space, they are crazy busy. Never understood what Melange for the Home was doing in Sunnyside, just doesn't seem like a Louis XIV furniture type of neighborhood.

Starbucks is closing 3 locations in Calgary - Kensington, Bow Tower, and one other.
Too much competition?

Anecdotal but I know people would come from far and wide to go to Melange, but yeah way better if it is more space for Vendome.

As for Starbucks sounds like there may be more than the three that have closed. Not really a big deal in Kensington, much better places there to grab a good coffee.

Anecdotal but I know people would come from far and wide to go to Melange, but yeah way better if it is more space for Vendome.

As for Starbucks sounds like there may be more than the three that have closed. Not really a big deal in Kensington, much better places there to grab a good coffee.

In a neighborhood where the average age is 30, how many antique-y duck throw pillows can you sell? I'm sure there's a market for Melange but it isn't Sunnyside...

Closures over the last little while and announced as coming up:
- Fitness equipment store near Shoppers
- Prohibition
- Jugo Juice
- James Dickson Clothiers
- Canvas painting
- Vietnamese restaurant
- Toy store
- Starbucks
- Bernard Callebaut
- Lingerie store
- Juice bar
- Nepal goods store
- Fake flowers store
- Burger 320
- Second Cup
- Julio’s Barrio

New openings:
- Good trade coffee (in Jugo Juice)
- PB&J YYC (Peanut butter & jelly Calgary airport??)
- Pet Planet
- High end pet goods
- Construction has been happening in the Prohibition (Molly Malone’s) building lately

Relocations:
- Naked Leaf moved into the Canvas spot
- InGear moved to 10A behind the new pet goods
- Splash of Fashion moved to 12th St

Last edited:

One of my favorite places in Calgary, Oak Tree is closing its doors permanently, along with Midtown just up the road. So now Julios spot is empty along with oak tree, burger 320, midtown, almost every commercial unit in the kensington gate building...all empty. I love kensington but its getting to the point where its no longer a destination neighborhood because half of the commercial spaces are empty

Maybe someone with more insight into commercial real estate can give a good explanation, but i don't get it, what do landlords gain by charging such high rents that no one can afford the space? seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

Back