News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Are you in favour of Calgary's Potential Olympic Bid in 2026?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
So, the village in Vic Park had two parts, athletes and team officials, 1720 for athletes, 1154 for team officials. Demised units, from 70 affordable housing units, 140 attainable housing units and 500 market units. Scale that down by one third, and partner to have that 1/3rd be entirely market units, so you only pay operating and conversion costs.

So, the village in Vic Park had two parts, athletes and team officials, 1720 for athletes, 1154 for team officials. Demised units, from 70 affordable housing units, 140 attainable housing units and 500 market units. Scale that down by one third, and partner to have that 1/3rd be entirely market units, so you only pay operating and conversion costs.

Nah. Sell them all at market value like Vancouver did. It'll help us recoup the cost of the games.

Nah. Sell them all at market value like Vancouver did. It'll help us recoup the cost of the games.
That was the CBEC 2017 plan. Lowers the direct cost of the bid. Council indicated legacy was important however, so the budget went up with the BidCo plan.

Just for reference, the bid is still alive and the plebiscite is still happening. The vote was 8-7 in favour.

CBC reported 8-7 against but they needed 10 against so it is going ahead? By against I mean vote to not continue.
Correct, a majority of council, 8 out of the 15, voted to stop work on the bid and cancel the plebiscite. However, they needed a supermajority of 10 votes, so the 8 wasn't enough. Plebiscite is still on for November 13th.

An interesting couple of weeks for Calgarians. I've never been through a plebiscite before, is the voting the same as it would be for a municipal election?

Hi,

If this thing goes to a VOTE Where do We VOTE on the Matter? I want to VOTE NO. I Hope there are Others on the NO Side. I will have to GO with the Feeings that a Lot of People are Saying NO Deal. Only What A Week or so Away.

Tnx,
Operater.

I have seen all kinds of numbers thrown out there, of what it'll cost but haven't seen anything showing the money promised by the IOC? Wasn't it around $1Billion?

This is the basic breakdown of the costs and funding as I have seen it.

Total estimated cost: $5.1 billion.

Public investment:
Government of Canada, $1.45 billion;
Province of Alberta, $700 million:
City of Calgary $390 million, plus $150 million credit for previous financial commitment to improve a downtown district that would be a games hub;
Town of Canmore, $3 million.

Private funding:
$2.23 billion from games revenues,
$1.2 billion contribution from the International Olympic Commitee in cash and services

Security budget:
$445 million

New Calgary sports venues proposed:
$403 million for a multi-purpose indoor fieldhouse and 5,000-seat arena.

New Calgary sports venues proposed:
$403 million for a multi-purpose indoor fieldhouse and 5,000-seat arena

1988 venues reboot:
$502 million to upgrade McMahon Stadium, Scotiabank Saddledome, Olympic Oval, WinSports sliding track and
ski kill, Nakiska Ski Resport, Canmore Nordic Centre, BMO Centre and Big 4 buildings

Back