News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If we're still time traveling in this thread, maybe Israel could have not helped Hamas grow to what it is now by funding it explicitly to destabilize the PLO.
Fair point. On another angle, I wish the Arab world, including Jordan and especially the Saudis and other oil rich Arab nations had helped the Palestinians instead of using them as pawns. The Arab countries in the Middle East have the money and the space to resettle all five million Palestinians currently living in the West Bank and Gaza into their own countries, as full citizens. Jordan, where over three million Palestinians live could grant Jordanian citizenship to these people and allow them to integrate into regular society. And speaking of Gaza, Egypt need only open its border and all 2 million Gazans would gladly flee into Egypt. In doing so, Egypt could demand financial support from the UN or Arab League to cover the resettlement cost. But no, it's somehow better for the Arab nations to have the Palestinians as stateless nomads.

Last edited:
I, too, don't want to continue the Israel-Hamas discussion. Much like discussing Democrats v Republicans or Liberals v Conservatives, positions are already cemented into 'one side evil: other side good'.

Discussions about morality in previously conflicts have gone on for years. Some believe Churchill and Roosevelt/Truman were war criminals. I don't believe the Allies, Canada included, 'indiscriminately' bombed Germany. They bombed the country as part of a strategic campaign in an effort to disrupt its war industries and break the will of its people. Whether or how effective that was is a matter of debate and, as always, benefits from hindsight. However, I understand the argument that whether your roof caving in is part of a thought-out campaign or not is rather moot.

Given the technologies and information available at the time, and in light of the casualties involved in a fight we didn't start but were prepared to finish (which is the only way to enter into armed conflict) I'm not sure what other options were available.

Similarly in the Pacific, theoretical altered-history scenarios abound, but it was estimated that it would cost around 2Mn Allied casualties to take Japan by force. Given the Allied (mostly US) experience up until that point, and very limited knowledge of the effects of the atomic bomb, I'm not sure Truman had much of a choice, certainly not a better one.

The Arab countries in the Middle East have the money and the space to resettle all five million Palestinians currently living in the West Bank and Gaza into their own countries, as full citizens.
Why should they be displaced so that Israelis can steal their homes and build coffee shops over their cemeteries??

Reactions: T3G
There are a lot of arbitrarily drawn lines that constitute borders in the Middle East and Africa, mostly drawn by European based Empires during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s ,that continue to be flashpoints of conflict to this day, and most likely into the future. It is also worth acknowledging that the countries constituting what we call the Middle East and centred around present day Israel, have been the theatre of ongoing conflict, long before present day borders were established, since at least the time of the Crusades. And you can certainly draw a line further back to the time of the Romans and a significant event in religious history as well. The chances of these interwoven and complex conflicts all ending soon are almost nil and the chances of forms of conflict continuing are much, much greater then nil. Such a warming and reassuring thought come this time of the year.

Non-Canadian Palestinians, who no longer have a safe place to live, who have Canadian/PR relatives.

So basically they are acquiescing to the bleeding hearts and exacerbating the immigration issue.

Arab nations need to get off their high horse and take refugees. For all its rhetoric you think Iran would happily take in Palestinian refugees.

Iran? First of all, they’re Persians, not Arabs. In addition, the majority of Iranians are Shiite Muslims while most Arabs are Sunni Muslims. Those two do not mix.

Agreed but my point was that they both hate Isreal so much you think they would welcome them with open arms given how open Iran is to supporting Hamas.

So basically they are acquiescing to the bleeding hearts and exacerbating the immigration issue.
Hope you never have a family member in another country being leveled with bombs daily, indiscriminately killing civilians, if you think it's "bleeding hearts" to allow families to reunite.

Hope you never have a family member in another country being leveled with bombs daily, indiscriminately killing civilians, if you think it's "bleeding hearts" to allow families to reunite.

You stay and fight not leave and protest later.

I am sorry but I am tired of seeing all these ex-pats complain about how bad things are in their home country. All they do is protest and expect the Canadian government to do something all while they sit in a nice safe country.

If people are so concerned about what is going on in their homeland they should stay and fight not hide behind a safe nation like Canada.

News flash people.. protesting every day demanding action be taken is not going to solve the issue. Canada is not going to pull a rabbit out of it's hat and create world peace just because you asked them to.

Why should they be displaced so that Israelis can steal their homes and build coffee shops over their cemeteries??
We all live in Canada, right? Should we be leaving in order to return the land to the First Nations?

You stay and fight not leave and protest later.
This isn't a movie, you're literally advocating for children to go out and throw stones at bombs being dropped on their heads.
For what? So you don't have to be inconvenienced by a protest bringing to light the humanitarian crisis going on?

Back