News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Too bad word got out about Herdman's talk with the players after the Belgium loss, definitely seemed to be a big motivator for Croatia. Glad the boys scored a goal, but hopefully they can take this experience, get better and do some damage in 4 years.

Only in soccer can the storyline be 'we got eliminated but hey ...at least we scored our first goal ever in a World Cup'. 😀

Kind of underscores why I can't get excited about this sport.

It's interesting to see how Canada is doing in the biggest sport in the world, but soccer can be very hard to watch and get excited about for sure. It's always going to be the diving to me, no matter what happens, guys drop like they are shot, only to get up a minute later and keep playing. It actually takes away from legit injuries quite a bit too.

Seeing both Croatia and Morroco in the semi finals after beating teams such as Spain, Portugal, and Brazil makes me feel a lot better about Canada losing to those two teams.
Canada did really play quite well in the tournament I think, they just didn’t get the stars to lineup very well for them, facing two teams that were playing really well, and losing another game that they probably should’ve won. The fact that Croatia is there again shows that last World Cup was no fluke.
I’m already excited about Canada for the next World Cup.

Thought this article had some good points about what Canada needs to take away from the tournament
Some good points brought up for sure, particularly about playing against better teams, and to get that experience. And they'll need to get a young goalkeeper. One good thing is many of their star players (Davies, David, Eustaquio and Johnston) is they're all young 22, 22, ,24 and 24 respectively.

Canada still has to qualify for the next World Cup, we had a bit of a Cinderella run there I think. 3 (maybe 4) of 35 teams in CONCACAF get to move onto the next round...

Cheapens it a bit but we can still say we made it before the expansion. See where we're at in 2030 and what a 30 year-old Davies looks like.

48 is a lot of teams - A quarter of the world's countries, but at least it allows for more European teams to get in. I would think Canada would have a good chance of being in fairly regularly with our region set for 6 teams.

Back