News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Be a shame to lose all that pedestrian traffic that fits so nicely into the backdrop on Breakfast Television and replace it with all those cars zooming by. On the other hand, strategically placed cameras could provide really nice views of all that's "new" down there. Either way, the impact will definitely be noticeable.

For window dressing, maybe they can encourage Zanta to make a return from deepest, darkest Brampton.

What if Rogers were to partner with Ryerson (they've given them a ton of money over the years, I'm sure they have Levy's home phone number) in redeveloping the Sam the Record Man/Future Shop site on Yonge Street?

Citytv could incorporate the Sam's neon into their frontage on Yonge while rebuilding the buildings behind. They could have a walk-up studio presence on Gould. There would be a ready supply of RTA students for interns at City.

Ryerson could have a front door on Yonge where the current Future Shop is, and could build whatever they want up above the Citytv lower floors, all as part of another mixed use complex.

It keeps Yonge and Gould animated, it saves the Sam's neon, it gives Ryerson their public face.

Work with me people!

That would be a really good idea. 1 Bloor is not a great idea and they would never go for it: its a high end retail district where an element of low-brow culture, such as a tv station, would be a poor fit. Further, the rent would be too high for space such as offices, libraries, equipment storage, etc.

One of the big 3 in the US has their morning show at 59th and 5th, the epicentre for high end shopping.

Rogers will likely be consolidating both City and Omni operations in their owned building at 350 Bloor St. E.

The Insurance District is so hip it hurts! We wait with baited breath!

That sounds about right to me. $50 million to build a studio there and that certainly fits the "high profile" description. I don't think it will go in the Lakeshore building - it wouldn't cost $50 million to move to an existing studio. Love 'em or hate 'em, Rogers would'nt screw around with City's successful formula by banishing it to the Omni studios.
I had suggested that City-TV would be built as part of an extension to that building on the south-side parking lot, so it "could" cost $50 million in such a scenario.

BTW, the CRTC approved Roger's purcahse of the City's today. They will also be allowed to keep the OMNI's. The only condition of sale was as follows...

The company must also sell two religious TV outlets in B.C. and Winnipeg as a condition of the acquisition. The new owner has pledged to continue many of the hallmarks that have made Citytv famous as well as revitalizing the local brand, and it will keep its newsrooms -including this website, CityNews.ca - intact and separate from its existing OMNI properties.

Wow. Weak. I'm really disappointed with the CRTC. They've now set a precedent that allows once company to operate three broadcast stations in one city. Forget about the old days and the twinstick prohibitions.

We all know how weak pledges by media outlets are. Look at Hamilton - they don't even have their own station anymore, it being rebranded as an "E!" station, and seems like a cable station. Then there's SunTV, format changes in radio and cable stations that go against the original approval criteria, and the CRTC doesn't even care.

I agree, the whole "E!" rebranding of CH really really bugs me. It's a local station, not an entertainment station, especially when it's a brand that is known, particularly in the US, as a celebrity-focused gossip cable channel. There's absolutely nothing local about it. The low quality of their now "CHCH" newscasts is an insult to the community and spits in the face of the CRTC, not that they seem to care anyway.

--

in other news, on Breakfast Television this morning, they poked a little bit of fun at the fact that they are owned by Rogers this morning. Kevin Frankish wore a Rogers t-shirt instead of his trademark shirt and suspenders and as a gag, they played the Rogers chime every time he said "Breakfast Television".

At one point, they brought on the head of Rogers Media, who did mention that they were hoping to make an announcement within the next two weeks about where they will be relocating. He seemed to stress that they were looking for a place that will continue the tradition of CityTV and its urban focus. He said they were in final phases of negotiations, which inclines me to believe that they are not going to be in their currently owned properties, since they wouldn't really need to negotiate for that. There's still hope!

Hopefully they are in negotiations for a new property (rather than stranding City tv up at Jarvis and Bloor), but conceivably "negotiations" could refer to internal discussions for making Rogers-owned space available. But I have faith that it is the former.

Sadly, the local station appears to be a dying concept in Canada. Local production has been slashed, CHCH is now "E", and CTV has abandoned all of its local call letters (even the local news is now "CTV News"). If it's lucky, a local station still gets to do local news (and a handful might even have the budgets that allow them to do a decent job), but that's about it.

Fortunately, you can slash budgets and still be able to afford to make episodes of Speakers Corner.

How could CTV be getting Speakers Corner? It originated as a CityTV concept, I can't see how CTV would be given the intellectual rights to that.

It's already bad enough that CP24 will likely be rebranded at some point soon with continously streaming CTV news.

speaking of which, i'm surprised that the CRTC didn't even bother asking CTV to sell CP24 as well, as now CTVgm will own two 24-hour news stations in the same market, locally or nationally based aside.

Back