News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It’s pretty much guaranteed that Canada will play in Edmonton, given the size of the stadium. Also better for a domestic audience because there’s less hotel and international flight options.

Montreal would be good for a large African or European pool and Toronto could take more smaller games from the Caribbean, Asia or pretty much anywhere.

Canada apparently from the proposed match schedule that I have seen online could play their opening game of the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Toronto at BMO Field

But then for their other games they could play those in Edmonton or Montreal depending on how far Canada goes in the 2026 FIFA World Cup as hosts

Canada though as hosts in 2026 if we are given automatic qualification which I see no reason why we shouldn't, Canada is not going to be taking part in qualifying which means they will have more than enough time to prepare for the 2026 FIFA World Cup as hosts. In the build up Canada is going to no doubt be playing a lot of friendly matches and the thing about being a host nation is when you become a host, the other potential countries who do qualify in 2026 are going to want to face Canada in friendlies. It gives Canada even more of an advantage.

With the WC being a 48 team WC in 2026, I think we will get 4 or 5 group stage matches per day on TV and games actually starting from:

7am
9am
12pm
3pm

Or

9am
12pm
3pm
6pm
9pm

With the WC being a 48 team WC in 2026, I think we will get 4 or 5 group stage matches per day on TV and games actually starting from:

7am
9am
12pm
3pm

Or

9am
12pm
3pm
6pm
9pm
Don't forget about scheduling the final group match for each team (they are all simultaneous, even accounting for time zone differences), thanks to the Disgrace of Gijón during the 1982 FIFA World Cup.

Don't forget about scheduling the final group match for each team (they are all simultaneous, even accounting for time zone differences), thanks to the Disgrace of Gijón during the 1982 FIFA World Cup.

By doing that the final group games would have to all be 3pm games but with the USA,Mexico and Canada time differences it would be at different times but games would still be simultaneous

BMO Field could be expanded to seat 45,000 if Toronto is chosen as host city for 2026 World Cup: Tory

From link.

Mayor John Tory says that BMO Field could be expanded to accommodate upwards of 45,000 fans if Toronto is chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 World Cup.

Tory made the comment to reporters on Monday afternoon following a press conference alongside several FIFA officials who were in town to conduct a site visit as part of the selection process for the tournament.

FIFA has already awarded the 2026 World Cup to a joint bid from Canada, Mexico and the United States but it has not yet finalized which 16 cities will play host to games.
Right now Toronto is on a short list of 22 cities that are under consideration to host games. Edmonton is the only other Canadian city on the list after Montreal withdrew its name from consideration amid concerns about the financial cost.

“I will just say that we made a commitment as part of our presentation that we would have the field be such that it complies with the FIFA requirements which are I think a minimum of 45,000 (seats) I think we believe we can do better than that,” Tory said of BMO Field during the press conference “I would just point out as well that while it could be different for the World Cup in 2026, this would not be the first time we have done this with the very excellent facility we have at BMO Field. We have expanded it for past FIFA events and I think Grey Cups and a number of other events.”

BMO Field currently has a capacity of 30,000 for soccer but can be expanded to host upwards of 40,000 fans through the addition of temporary seating.

Speaking with reporters, Tory said that the plans to expand the venue further “still need to be finalized” but he stressed that seating capacity shouldn’t be a stumbling block when it comes to hosting World Cup games in 2026.

The mayor also suggested that the city is prepared to make other improvements to “several city parks and facilities” that could be used as practice facilities by visiting teams during the tournament.

So far no estimate has been provided for the cost of the infrastructure improvements.

“I can just tell you that the amount involved here in terms of investment is not insignificant but these will be legacy assets that will be here for people to play soccer and do other things in the years following the World Cup,” Tory said. ”I can also just say that whatever we do here, we wouldn't have put forward a bid if it hadn't been for our strong belief and my strong commitment to make sure that it is done in a way that is financially prudent. I am so optimistic that when the plans are finalized people will see this is not one of those kinds of events that will place an undue burden on them because it is a partnership and because we will do it with a degree of prudence but we'll do it first class.”
Toronto was final site visit

FIFA officials have already visited all 21 cities that are under consideration to host games during the 20226 World Cup and the Toronto trip marked the final site visit as part of the selection process.

FIFA Vice-President and CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani told reporters that the presentation the delegation received on Monday “exemplified not only the nuts and bolts of what’s required” but also included a lot of detail about football has meant to the city.

“Football has been here a long time but obviously it has gone to another level I would say over the last 10 years and that was all evident in their presentation,” he said. “It was very through and excellent and of course we have to do our due diligence and will continue to do that but it was a pleasure to be here.”

FIFA officials have said that they plan to make a final decision regarding the list of host cities in the first or second quarter of 2022.

Officials have estimated that being chosen as a World Cup host city could result in more than $330 million in economic spinoff for the Greater Toronto Area.

Globe and Mail Editorial Board out w/a pretty scathing take on the cost of hosting 5 games here in Toronto.

From the above:

1655884406445.png

1655884433098.png

1655884462509.png

1655884506714.png

Not paywalled at time of posting.

Globe and Mail Editorial Board out w/a pretty scathing take on the cost of hosting 5 games here in Toronto.

From the above:

View attachment 409147

View attachment 409148

View attachment 409149

View attachment 409150

Not paywalled at time of posting.

Interesting - did FIFA make any similar demands of Toronto as they did of Montreal, that during the WC that there must be an "event vacuum" here as well? (couldn't read the article since it's paywalled)

Interesting - did FIFA make any similar demands of Toronto as they did of Montreal, that during the WC that there must be an "event vacuum" here as well? (couldn't read the article since it's paywalled)

There were no specifics on that in the article.

Back