News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That's a really cool idea, thanks for taking the time to make this! I would like to see motormen remain, since this is a 'living museum' and the historic streetcars are restored as accurately as possible (even the driver controls are as they were when first built). It gets people around for sure, but they want to do it accurately :) But, I love the idea of this being used by Edmontonions as a way to get around in their day-to-day lives.

And the governing model is an interesting idea that could have potential, I'll have to give that some thought. I can't go into detail, but I'll say that there is a specific incident which makes me weary of ceding too much control to organizations which have more pressing concerns and don't have an incentive to worry about how their decisions impact the ERRS' operations.

@CplKlinger, I agree with your sense of historical accuracy and I know that this would be a billion-dollar project so there is a great deal of research ahead -- since it is a passion that we share I would certainly like to work through this with you (if you are up to it) -- I also see valuable input from @Kaizen and several others (no need for a long list of names here). I see a HUGE potential for a pedestrian boulevard along 108th Street that would spur development in the area -- there are a few cool one-time warehouse buildings that would be worth preserving, the loop encircles the proposed Warehouse District Park (if the City and its heavy-handed thumbprint doesn't fark it up such that it becomes Harkenfarkpark), it connects to major post-secondary schools, it people-friendlies the Government precinct, it enables a linear park (think NYC's highline), it creates a strong connector between Old Strathcona and Downtown E, and it spurs on an equally potential-sodden 106th Street corridor. When you ride for free, everybody likes the possibilities. On the south side the ERR corridor opens up possibilities for conjoined parks and extended commercial development.

This single project could solely put Edmonton on the map! We just need people with drive and imagination (no nay-sayers please).

Thanks again, Kevin, for repositioning this discussion. It would be cool if you could create a photo-journal of what exists there now -- along the route we are discussing. I would then take that and relate it to a 3-d concept drawing, block-by-block to illustrate how this area could be activated into a linear park "Edmonton-style". It would begin as a labour of love; who knows where it would end up. I'll start snapzing relevant Google maps.

Back