8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Monaco

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would you buy a unit in a condo that has no visitor parking and no resident parking, although there would be 9 auto share spots?

Is having a parking spot less advantageous than it used to be? You save money by not having parking. And I think the article is correct in regards to more and more people living without a car in the downtown area. I see many empty spots in the parking garage at my condo.

But it's a pain when there is no visitor parking.

Car-free Condo - from Globe and Mail

I am guessing that there is pay for parking garages in the surrounding office buildings for visitors if needed, but what about deliveries, contractors, and service trucks, as well as moving in and moving out.

There have been a few threads on this topic in the past:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=8063
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6781

Basically, about half the people feel that it's a bad idea because you are limiting the people you can resell the unit to. They see it as a bad decision investment-wise, and recommend that you buy a spot even if you're not going to use it and rent it out.

On the other hand, the car-free people like me think it's no big deal. Downtown a car is just a hassle, and there are many, many people who feel this way. If anything I suspect the number of voluntarily car-free will only increase in years to come. I say, why not invest your money into a slightly large condo, or a condo in a better location, rather than into a parking spot you don't need? Spots are 10s of thousands of dollars... hardly pocket change. It probably keeps the monthly fees lower, too. I think this is a welcome trend for all.

Even many condos with underground lots don't have visitor parking. Those that do often have small lots that are usually full anyway. Visitors can street park or find the nearest Green P lot; welcome to the world of downtown.

they cite the lot size making it difficult to construct parking spots.

then they should consider what has been done in Europe, Asia and some new construction in NYC where spaces are compact ... actually i think Trump Toronto has garage elevators too.

On the other hand, the car-free people like me think it's no big deal.

The sidewalk in-front of the garage seems to be the most dangerous place to walk on a Saturday night; and, of course, lousy design also means it is the only way out of the building for pedestrians.

I would consider it a bonus to live in a building without drunk drivers. Removing either the drunk or the driver* from the equation improves things immensely.

* Drunk also includes drugged, exhausted, distracted (looking for remote), and impatient (speeding around blind curves).

I don't really understand why this is a big deal, honestly. I'm hardly a hardcore free market type, but isn't this just the type of situation where the free market can work best? Approve the plan, start selling the units without parking - if they get buyers, they'll build it. If they don't, they won't.

The only argument I can sort of buy against approving this would be that people with cars will still buy there, then take up parking spots in the neighbourhood all the time. But that seems pretty unlikely.

(I'm more worried about what they're going to do to preserve the historic building they're plunking this on.)

they cite the lot size making it difficult to construct parking spots.

then they should consider what has been done in Europe, Asia and some new construction in NYC where spaces are compact ... actually i think Trump Toronto has garage elevators too.

So does Glas.

the idea behind condo living is to live in an area which has public transit, walkable and not having to depend on a car to go everywhere.

That's how I live, so don't really have a problem with the concept. Just wondering what others thought here as most people I know in real life feel the same way as I do.

I wonder if the roundabout will be off University....at least with no parking garage, this would limit the amount of traffic there.

That's how I live, so don't really have a problem with the concept. Just wondering what others thought here as most people I know in real life feel the same way as I do.

I wonder if the roundabout will be off University....at least with no parking garage, this would limit the amount of traffic there.

since this building goes from street to street, i think it would be better to have it at the back and keep the facade for public/pedestrian friendly.

I am guessing that there is pay for parking garages in the surrounding office buildings for visitors if needed, but what about deliveries, contractors, and service trucks, as well as moving in and moving out.

There are several parking lots in the vicinity of the building, including Green P lots.

As for services, deliveries, contractors and moving... you cannot avoid providing space for these services. The building will have space at the rear for all of this.

My opinion,

I already live downtown and don't own or rent a parking space. I am also a Zipcar member. I use Zipcar maybe once a month. There is no visitor parking at my building and most of the time visitors just park in the lot next door. Living this was hasn't inconvenienced me at all. Would I consider buying in this building? For sure!

Last edited:
So does Glas.

Last I checked, so does Museumhouse on Bloor. Nevertheless, there may be other reasons why even the car-elevator would not be applicable for this project (but, I have no clue anything about car-elevators).

This building will require pre-construction sales in order to obtain construction financing. As such, the market will determine if there is enough demand from people who want to purchase without a parking space or not. People who are complaining about the lack of permanent parking simply should not purchase at this development.

This project is within a couple hundred meters of two subway stops and two streetcar lines, and great amenities. And, it will have 9 car-share parking spaces.

Personally, I would not purchase a unit with no parking space (or very nearby parking), but I am just one person out of many.

Bravo to Tribute for giving this a try. Then again, it still needs City Council approvals.

M.

Last I checked, so does Museumhouse on Bloor. Nevertheless, there may be other reasons why even the car-elevator would not be applicable for this project (but, I have no clue anything about car-elevators).

This building will require pre-construction sales in order to obtain construction financing. As such, the market will determine if there is enough demand from people who want to purchase without a parking space or not. People who are complaining about the lack of permanent parking simply should not purchase at this development.

This project is within a couple hundred meters of two subway stops and two streetcar lines, and great amenities. And, it will have 9 car-share parking spaces.

Personally, I would not purchase a unit with no parking space (or very nearby parking), but I am just one person out of many.

Bravo to Tribute for giving this a try. Then again, it still needs City Council approvals.

M.

It will have a parking elevator, as the 9 parking spaces are above ground. (The lower floors are exclusively dedicated to the RCMI)

It will have a parking elevator, as the 9 parking spaces are above ground. (The lower floors are exclusively dedicated to the RCMI)

Again, I do not know anything about car elevators. But, if in fact there will be a car elevator for those nine cars, I imagine that it would have to be a much smaller elevator than that to accommodate 300 cars.

Then again, I don't even think this is an issue. Nor do I think it should be controversial. In fact, I would think it would be an amazing achievement for any city to be able to house a condominium with enough demand for no permanent parking.

Why does everyone in Toronto complain about traffic congestion, then the minute a condo tries to come forward with no parking it also becomes "controversial". I previously blogged about this, here.

This is an amazing location for such a project, and I think it will be very interesting to see if there is demand for the building. With all the hype this project has received over the past few days, I am sure there will be!

Well, as mentioned in my previous post, it will also be interesting to see if City Council allows it.

M.

Last edited:
i hate that it's all bachelors and 1 bedroom units ... you know they're all going to be shoeboxes of under 600 sf ... probably from 350 - 550 sf.

i wonder if they would accomodate multiple units for 2 bed + units?

Back