8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of projects with carpet in the bedrooms as standard instead of hardwood. is this a modern trend or just a way for the developer to save money? do people really like this type of design?

Is there much of a difference in cost between hardwood vs. carpet with under-padding? I see some projects where carpet is standard in the bedrooms - some not, it could also be an option that some purchasers choose when it's available from the developer. I prefer carpet in a bedroom, but that's just my preference.

i'd rather keep the flooring consistent, especially in the current slew of open concept small condo units.
otherwise the various chopping up can make the small space feel even smaller.

if you want carpet in the bedroom, one can consider area rugs.

Carpet is just ewwwwwwwww! I would never ever allow carpet in any room in my place. Off gassing, trapping dirt, bugs, allergens...truly impossible to clean.

To me, carpet gives a place a more "homey" feel. Hard floors makes it feel like an office or something rather than like a home. A softer surface is just more comfortable to walk on. Maybe it's just me. But if buying a condo/house I would definitely prefer carpet everywhere except the bathroom, kitchen, and possibly the immediate entrance area where you leave your shoes.

I actually haven't noticed a difference in the amount of effort required to keep carpet clean compared to hardwood, except that one you vacuum while the other you sweep.

I did notice that the vast majority of apartment buildings I looked at when I moved to Toronto had laminate floors whereas in my previous city (waterloo) all the apartments I looked at had carpet (although usually not nice carpet).

You could always add a nice rug on the hardwood if you want something "comfy", and you could easily change it if you decide to change your decor later on.

I prefer hardwood myself, as I hate floor transition strips and I think hardwood looks more upscale than carpet. Wood is easier to clean than carpet too.

I'm not a fan of carpet. I love having all hardwood both because I prefer the look but I also find it easier to keep clean.

Back