News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Altadore has been one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in the city to move to long before this main street work was done.

Residentially, sure. But for nightlife, dining, or shopping, Marda Loop leaves much to be desired.

In large part, because the car-centric road design has made it feel inhospitable.

Once the mobility improvements are in place, the calculus will change for many.

Feels very haphazard in the execution.

I think some Calgarians are just a very complaint-prone people.

Those who drive everywhere tend to complain a lot because their lifestyle is brittle and easy to disrupt.

Potholes, fuel costs, car repair, construction, parking, other drivers, etc...

Drivers submit themselves to a host of daily annoyances that they expect someone else to fix.

But the annoyances will never go away, they're inherent to the system.

If you don't want to be annoyed on a daily basis, stop driving.

Residentially, sure. But for nightlife, dining, or shopping, Marda Loop leaves much to be desired.

In large part, because the car-centric road design has made it feel inhospitable.

Once the mobility improvements are in place, the calculus will change for many.

I think some Calgarians are just a very complaint-prone people.

Those who drive everywhere tend to complain a lot because their lifestyle is brittle and easy to disrupt.

Drivers submit themselves to a host of daily annoyances that they expect someone else to fix.

Not sure how someone’s comment about lack of sidewalk space managed to spur a rant about cars and drivers.

Not sure how someone’s comment about lack of sidewalk space managed to spur a rant about cars and drivers.
Because nobody who is actually in support of improving active mobility is opposed to the marda loop construction.

People who actually walk in the area are in support of the improvements. Drivers just bring up short term issues to walking access as a bad-faith attempt to maintain the car dominant status quo.

shermanator above literally just complained about streets with sidewalks closed on both sides - a concern a pedestrian would have, and a valid concern at that.

And of course it doesn't imply that he's against the project, any more than somebody complaining of closed lanes, parking, and detours, would be against the project either.

As a pedestrian, I've been annoyed by narrow sidewalks, lack of trees, driveways, drivers, cyclists, the weather, horrible intersections like 33 Ave & Crowchild...

As a cyclist, I've been annoyed by lack of bike lanes, and again, drivers and the weather.

As a bus rider, I've been so annoyed by the service (back in like 2011) that I gave up and bought a car. I think what broke me was I knocked on the door because the bus was about to pull away, and the driver was so offended by that he wouldn't let me on. Never mind the fact that the next bus was in 30 minutes. (I do actually take the bus to work now, but I'm fortunate enough to live and work on the same bus line, one which comes quite frequently).

Because nobody who is actually in support of improving active mobility is opposed to the marda loop construction.

People who actually walk in the area are in support of the improvements. Drivers just bring up short term issues to walking access as a bad-faith attempt to maintain the car dominant status quo.
Are you the same guy from a while ago that wanted to ban all cars and make everyone ride bikes? If so you need to tone it down and concentrate your efforts on better pedestrian and cycling infrastructure without the anti-car/driver stuff.
Cars are not going anywhere, accept that and move on. Concentrate on the better infrastructure for cyclist and pedestrians. It’s not a zero sum game you can have both.

Cars are not going anywhere, accept that and move on. Concentrate on the better infrastructure for cyclist and pedestrians. It’s not a zero sum game you can have both.
This exactly. It’s not a zero-sum game, whether you like cars or not, they’re here to stay. Energy and resources are best put into pushing for better infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists. In some cases, it may be at the expense of roads and drivers, but in most cases, both can exist. And that’s the way it’s going to have to be because as others have mentioned cars and roads are here to stay forever.

Are you the same guy from a while ago that wanted to ban all cars and make everyone ride bikes? If so you need to tone it down and concentrate your efforts on better pedestrian and cycling infrastructure without the anti-car/driver stuff.
If cars aren’t going anywhere then it’s more parking lots we need and not roads!

We’ve been through these arguments already, but as much as you hate cars, the fact remains, people who drive cars have a right to complain about construction. Cars and drivers are part of society. Why should cyclist have more of a right to complain about construction than drivers?
Earlier you posted that drivers don’t have a right to complain about the design of flyover block, only cyclists and pedestrians had the right to complain.

I live in the area and walk in the affected area multiple times a day. I am not opposed to the construction, rather am fully in support of it. But it is an absolute pain in the ass walking around the neighbourhood right now. Worse than driving, IMO.

I'm the one using my legs to get out and support the businesses who are complaining about the construction during the construction. I'm the one on the Marda Loop Brewing patio (having to take twice as long to get there because not only has 18th street been closed since April but now suddenly 36th ave is closed as well). I'm the one on Le Comptoir's patio trying to ignore the sounds of daylighting 4 blocks away. I'm the one having to walk through an alley and a parking lot to go to my barber because the South side of 33rd between 21st and 22nd street is ripped up. I'm the one who has to walk through an office to get to the eye doctors because the entire North side of 33rd between 19th and 20th street is ripped up.

With a wagon hauling my 4 year old? Forget about it.

Everybody, cyclists, pedestrians, drivers have been complaining about the Marda loop construction. Not sure why you feel the need to bring up the anti-car stuff. It’s not related to the original discussion. It comes across more as you wanting a chance to rail against cars and people who drive them. I thought we had another thread somewhere for that.

It's really weird when people get so myopic and combative about cars or bikes or whatever. All those things have their benefits and trade-offs, and what's nice is that you can pick and choose what makes sense for your situation at the time. But having that choice is awesome. Some cities are so congested it's a total pain in the ass to drive, and some cities have zero bike infrastructure, and some cities don't even have sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. We're not perfect, but what makes Calgary livable is that we have pretty descent infrastructure for it all. Maybe it's not Barcelona or Copenhagen or whatever European wet dream people have, but I think in general we're pretty solid.

I mean I love biking, and I also fully agree that some streets should be car-free... but to live without a car in North America? Man, you're missing out on some of the best parts of this world if you don't have access to a car. The nature. The skiing. The little towns. I just got back from a 3000km family road trip through Alberta/BC/Oregon/Washington. So many great things were seen and done and hiked and kayaked...none of that was going to happen without the freedom and accessibility that a car offers.

Back