News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Car2go added 4 door cars in Toronto (I think they have it in Europe too, but so far only Calgary, Vancouver and Toronto have them in north america). They are Mercedes b class, and are the same price as the smart cars.

I am a member of both autoshare and car2go but find myself using car2go more and more.

The introduction of 4 door cars is just another reason to use car2go. They are a bit more than autoshare for short trips but only $80 including 400km of travel for a full day, and sometimes only $50. The only downside is that there is no guarantee you will get a four door if you actually need one.

Autoshare does a good job keeping a variety of vehicles (anything from a BMW X1 to a Fiat 500) and replacing vehicles regularly.
I put a couple thousand km on one of their brand new Civics during the summer and it was nice to be able to drive a brand new car.
I often do 500+km in a 48hr booking, so once you consider gas, it is about the same as renting. I have seen Autoshare vehicles all over the province, so I cant be the only one that thinks there great for weekend trips.
Autoshare is expensive is in the booking by the hr - for short trips under 5 hrs.
Before I bought my car for various reasons, I occasionally had full-week AutoShare bookings (7 days) of a Toyota Prius, for a long trip to the states.

The price was competitive or cheaper than renting the same said Prius, when factoring in the insurance and gas costs. With Autoshare, gas is free (included) in the distance charges.

That was long before Enterprise bought AutoShare, however...

Last edited:
Student CarShare abruptly shut down all of their operations a couple of weeks ago.

I looked at their rates a while ago and it was not much better than Autoshare (Enterprise carshare) or Zipcar in terms of overall hourly/daily+km+membership fees. It was certainly a bit cheaper but Autoshare/Zipcar had so many more cars...virtually nothing at Student Carshare, and generally only located at campuses, not that useful for someone living off-campus. Similarly, Zipcar is available in tons of cities in Canada and the US and even Europe, and I believe now that Enterprise Carshare has acquired Autoshare they are rolling out the same thing, and Car2Go does that within North America as well.

Can't see it having been that competitive. Also Auto/Zip/C2G regularly had booths at various campus events and around town, and tons of advertising with the sheer number of vehicles they have parked or driving around the city at any time...I think I've seen one student carshare vehicle in my life, vs probably cumulatively thousands of C2G/Zip/Auto vehicles.

Their site currently says "Regretfully, Student Car Share has shut down operations and services. Should the situation change, this website will be updated." however when I googled it, the cache of their page read "Regretfully, Student Car Share has shut down service as it has run out of funds to operate. The company has no money to refund memberships nor pay creditors." Yikes. Quite a hard fail, then...

I looked at their rates a while ago and it was not much better than Autoshare (Enterprise carshare) or Zipcar in terms of overall hourly/daily+km+membership fees. It was certainly a bit cheaper but Autoshare/Zipcar had so many more cars...virtually nothing at Student Carshare, and generally only located at campuses, not that useful for someone living off-campus.

That wasn't as true outside of Toronto. They had cars in student areas near Waterloo, Laurier, Trent, McMaster, Mohawk, Windsor, Guelph, Brock, and elsewhere. Pretty sure they had more than Zipcar in those areas - some of which are now left without any carsharing option.

There's gotta be some kind of story behind their sudden demise.

I looked at their rates a while ago and it was not much better than Autoshare (Enterprise carshare) or Zipcar in terms of overall hourly/daily+km+membership fees. It was certainly a bit cheaper but Autoshare/Zipcar had so many more cars...virtually nothing at Student Carshare, and generally only located at campuses, not that useful for someone living off-campus. Similarly, Zipcar is available in tons of cities in Canada and the US and even Europe, and I believe now that Enterprise Carshare has acquired Autoshare they are rolling out the same thing, and Car2Go does that within North America as well.

Can't see it having been that competitive. Also Auto/Zip/C2G regularly had booths at various campus events and around town, and tons of advertising with the sheer number of vehicles they have parked or driving around the city at any time...I think I've seen one student carshare vehicle in my life, vs probably cumulatively thousands of C2G/Zip/Auto vehicles.

Their site currently says "Regretfully, Student Car Share has shut down operations and services. Should the situation change, this website will be updated." however when I googled it, the cache of their page read "Regretfully, Student Car Share has shut down service as it has run out of funds to operate. The company has no money to refund memberships nor pay creditors." Yikes. Quite a hard fail, then...

I joined them in Ottawa shortly after they launched when the only competitor was Vrtucar, and SCS was cheaper and had good availability where I was. Most of their key staff were former employees or contractors of Zipcar Toronto. Over time, I started to get a sleazy vibe from them, but the service was reliable and pretty cheap. Zipcar came to Ottawa last fall, with well over three times the cars in the same area of SCS, and their cars were noticeably busier. I wondered how long they would keep this up for, the financial post article from last year indicated that they wanted to become profitable by the end of 2016, so I'm guessing they ran out of investors.

I think (no inside knowledge) that SCS was an attempt to fill a niche as both Zipcar and Autoshare were being very slow about expanding beyond the core Toronto market.

I think they were right, that there is a market there; and Zipcar seemed to pick up on this belatedly, aggressively adding K-W, Brampton, a large Mississauga presence, even out posts in Hamilton, Oakville, Pickering and Ajax last year. They also grew considerably in Scarborough.

Enterprise having taken over Autoshare has so far only pushed them onto the York U campus and not much else. They still seem quite timid with a very poor offering outside the core and the Yonge St. spine North York.

Community Carshare was really growing in the South-west for many years............but seems to have slowed down a bit recently.

With Vrtucar now absorbed Communauto, it seems this is going to be game for the big players increasingly, at least in major markets.

As of March 31, 2016, Car2Go is rolling out on-street parking across Toronto. Sources--see their website under the 'parking' tab, and this Metro article.

There has been a large negative reaction elsewhere, so for the purposes of an informed debate I can provide 3 important summaries:

How Car2Go currently works:
you must end your rental within the home area (roughly Eglinton, Vic Park, Jane/S Kingsway, the lake, plus a lot at Pearson) inside a designated parking lot. You can park at almost any un-gated on-street surface Green P lot (via a barcode on the dashboard issued by the TPA that enforcement officers can scan), or in most gated Green P lots/garages (via a Green P monthly parking access card located in each vehicle that bills the parking to C2G and opens the gates); there are also many privately owned lots which have designated Car2Go spaces where you can drive right in and end your rental leaving the car in that spot. There are also a small handful of City of Toronto Carshare Vehicle Parking Area (CVPA) spaces consisting of 3-4 smart cars' worth of parallel parking spaces on a few residential streets in the city.

Those are the only places you can currently end your rental and, consequently, the only place you can start your rental as unused cars should only be present in those designated lots. During your rental you are absolutely free to park wherever you want, but you're responsible for anything relating to parking--if you park in a no parking zone and it's towed, you pay and are fined; if there's a street parking meter, you pay; if it's a non-designated lot/garage, you pay. They are vague on whether you can park for free at designated lots during your rental, i.e. use the Green P access card to enter and exit a lot while retaining your access to the car without ending your rental, but I've found most people do it.

How Car2Go wanted to operate per a recent proposal to council: (this is also how it works in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, a couple odd dozen other North American cities and several European ones) C2G pays the TPA a certain amount per car they own per month, and get to park in any semi-restricted parking space for free; i.e. they cannot park in a no parking/standing/stopping zone including rush hour zones (i.e. they would not allow members to end their rentals on King St even at 12PM because the car could stay there until 4 and be towed), and not in accessible spaces either, but they could park in any metered parking space for an unlimited amount of time (under the monthly per-car fee to TPA) as well as in residential permit parking zones (with some exceptions, most likely), and in unsigned parking zones exceeding the 3 hour limit. Again, they would pay the TPA an agreed-upon fee for all of these benefits, just like they do across Canada and the USA.

How Car2Go will operate under these new rules: since council denied their last proposal, they've come to a hybrid solution on their own; members can end their rental in any unrestricted parking space regardless of the 3-hour bylaw, Car2Go will monitor vehicles and move them in under 3 hours if somebody else doesn't come to rent them, or pay the ticket if they fail to do so, without penalizing the member. This does NOT included metered parking spaces, or rush hour restricted parking, or illegal spots of course. It is unclear if this includes areas signed as 1 or 2 hour parking, or parking at say 6PM in an area marked no parking after midnight due to residential permits (they've only called out rush hour no parking zones as an exception so far).

A lot of people are saying this is illegal and absurd and is going to screw up the city, but they don't seem to be noticing that there is nothing illegal or wrong with this if done right. Car2Go's vehicles experience a very high turnover rate in general, most of the time the vehicles that were near my condo would cycle out well under every 3 hours on their own through people taking them. And C2G is saying their staff will monitor cars present on residential streets approaching the 3-hour limit, and send an employee to move it elsewhere if necessary. Of course it's reasonably likely that now and then a car will be left somewhere over 3 hours, but they're stating that they don't intend to let that happen where preventable and they will pay the tickets if it happens, which is more than can be said of a lot of private vehicle drivers who often park illegally.

Overall I think it's a good idea. Reduces pollution and congestion, improves access to carsharing, operates within the law...seems like a good compromise, though I really wish city council had just taken the damn money for parking in metered spaces etc. C2G is guaranteed to pay for street parking that way, while I walk down streets with meters and regularly see more than half the cars haven't paid...

Edit: an e-mail I just received from them confirms that this includes 1-3 hour parking zones as long as there is no rush hour restriction. The FAQ on http://toronto.car2go.com/street/ also confirms that overnight parking restricted streets ("No Parking Except By Permit 12:01 AM - 7AM) are allowed as well.

Last edited:
Interesting development with Car2Go. I tried the service out, but parking was my #1 frustration with it. You had no way of knowing if upon reaching your destination whether there was actually a parking spot available. My first trip involved 3 different attempts to park before finally finding an open spot, which is rather upsetting when you're paying by the minute. This seems like a good incremental step for them to take, but still very frustrating that they weren't able to negotiate a proper deal with the city for some specific number of cars.

That aside, I find Car2Go is often not my transportation of choice for other reasons as a person that doesn't own a car. Many of the times I want a vehicle involves shopping for items that are too big/heavy to take on public transit, but if you leave it parked while you shop at a grocery store or Ikea, it gets very expensive very quickly. The other time is that anytime I want to actually move more than 2 people or something smaller than a grocery sack, the tiny vehicle isn't going to help. In both of these cases, I find Zipcar to be a much more useful/economical form of transport.

Street parking should make Car2go more convenient, but I wonder if they will regret this change. So far the results seem to be quiet chaotic... more people taking advantage of street parking than not. I picked up a car last night on Saint Clair in a zone which requires you to pay for parking, and it had a ticket on it. This is technically not allowed by their street parking guidelines, but how can they enforce this? We'll see.

Street parking should make Car2go more convenient, but I wonder if they will regret this change. So far the results seem to be quiet chaotic... more people taking advantage of street parking than not. I picked up a car last night on Saint Clair in a zone which requires you to pay for parking, and it had a ticket on it. This is technically not allowed by their street parking guidelines, but how can they enforce this? We'll see.

When somebody parks against their guidelines, i.e. if it's parked in a pay parking zone, how they can enforce it is quite simple: they will bill the member who parked it there the full cost of the ticket, plus a processing fee, and I believe a $100 fine from Car2Go themselves on top of that. If it gets multiple tickets, or gets towed, those cumulative costs are all put on the member who parked it there. Note this is different than parking it in an unsigned 3-hour-max non-pay street parking spot where the car ends up being there over 3 hours--in that case Car2Go would pay the cost of the ticket and not penalize the member, as that is their policy for parking. It's very simple.

Regarding street parking in general, it's how they operate in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, and several dozen US and European cities. Not a single one of their cities, other than Toronto, lacked street parking before today. Seeing as it's the business model of their entire operation I don't see how they'd regret switching to it in Toronto. As a Car2Go member I certainly think it was a good move...in the downtown area, it has always been and will continue to be the case that you need to park in their designated lots as there is no unrestricted/non-pay street parking, but farther out (west of bathurst, beaches, midtown) it was often quite a walk from a lot to your destination...street parking will massively improve that.

When they rolled out street parking and updated their service map to no longer list the designated parking lots they've removed, I was amazed that they have removed the vast majority of their lots outside of downtown, seeing as there is generally ample street parking very close to those lots. I knew they were getting rid of some, but not such a large portion. That made me realize that with not only the extra members+extra usage per member they're likely to see with this more convenient service, but now also the massive savings from what I assume were large sums of money they were paying to all of those parking operators, they can easily get quite a few tickets in these 3-hour-max and overnight permit zones and pay the tickets, then still be making a bigger profit than before. Sheds a lot of light on why they went ahead despite no formal endorsement from council.

I'll revive this thread to plunk down a report to the next meeting of TEYCC which seeks to create several new on-road reserved carsharing spaces.

From the above:

1652450578082.png

I'll revive this thread to plunk down a report to the next meeting of TEYCC which seeks to create several new on-road reserved carsharing spaces.

From the above:

View attachment 400056
Zipcar abandoned it's local on road spaces on Bastedo at Danforth (near Coxwell) a couple of months back. I don't know why, but people would frequently park their cars in those spots. On several occasions I'd have to try to find a semi-legal spot or park in a lot nearby.

Perhaps the city needs to better demarcate the spaces, e.g. painting the spots. Heavier fines than whatever the illegal parking fine is ($40?) and aggressive towing may also help.

Back