News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Well, if we're really going to scrutinize it, let's find the actual speech and see how much bias we're actually dealing with. (See what I'm doing here? I'm taking your holier-than-thou classical liberal sense of integrity-even-at-the-expense-of-your-own-principles one step further. Take that!)

Don't bother. That quote was a thousand years ago. You'll have lots of new things to pick on, I'm sure.

I can't say that I'm looking at the result with no intrepidation. But that said, I say, give the guy a chance. All you leftist partisans can fully say, "I told you so" and we'll glad give you a proper majority if your predictions come to pass. Indeed, if Harper over-reaches, forget the Liberals, we might end up with an NDP majority!

Politicians say a lot of things before them come to office. Then they get in and find out the real world is nothing like the hyper-partisan cheerleading squad they hung out with prior to getting elected.

Harper now has his third term. I will bet money he won't run for a fourth. But he wants his legacy to be a rightward shift in this country. To do that, he'll have to govern from the centre-right and pull the centre towards thim. If he does anything like what some folks here think he will, his legacy would be the utter rejection of the right for generations.

Not really - Conservativism suffered a major, messy meltdown under Kim Campbell and now look at them ... they're baaaack! in government and more right-wing than ever.

This is from a 2003 speech that Harper gave to the secretive right-wing think-tank "CIVITAS" which was co-founded by his minister of immigration Jason Kenney.

So "Secret" that their last annual meeting was held in public at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier from April 29-May 1, with anyone interested invited to attend. Would you like to see the agenda? I have it, it's so terrifying it will make any reader wet their bed for months.

I try to keep things civil on here, but really, conspiracy theories and hidden agenda stuff, give me a break. I love democracy as much as the next person, and I'm a Conservative, but please don't assume that the average person on the street is stupid enough to believe the conspiracy, hidden agenda crap that been peddled for years. Liberal reliance on that and not raising their own game is why the Conservatives are where they are at now and why their traditional opponents are where they are currently. If this continues to be the Liberal throwback, then the red tribe is in real REAL trouble. That dog ain't hunting folks.

I think the Conservative hidden agenda BTW is a more relaxed Harper. Anyone who is expecting a SFT and a re-packaged budget that bears little resemblance to what was tabled in March will be disappointed. The only new addition I suspect will be a pledge to wipe out the per vote subsidy which they campaigned on and won a mandate to implement. Another nail in the coffin of Bloc who have heretofore survived on the generosity of taxpayers to fund their attempted destruction of our country. Those days are over, and I, and I'm sure most Canadians would agree, they went on for too long.

Last edited:
^ Actually a person's personal religious beliefs and their views of creationism are simply that -- personal.

It's not just a religious belief. It's a scientific belief. Denying the evidence that the world is over 4 billion years old despite the preponderance of evidence is suggestive of intellectual defect. I don't especially care if he thinks god set the universe in motion, but if he thinks that the world is only 6,000 years old, that is a problem.

I think the Conservative hidden agenda BTW is a more relaxed Harper. Anyone who is expecting a SFT and a re-packaged budget that bears little resemblance to what was tabled in March will be disappointed. The only new addition I suspect will be a pledge to wipe out the per vote subsidy which they campaigned on and won a mandate to implement. Another nail in the coffin of Bloc who have heretofore survived on the generosity of taxpayers to fund their attempted destruction of our country. Those days are over, and I, and I'm sure most Canadians would agree, they went on for too long.

The Bloc will continue to get their campaign expenses reimbursed as well as up-to $3 matching from the federal government for every $1 donated. That's how our political subsidies work. To suggest that political subsidies are being eliminated is false. The per vote subsidy isn't even the biggest one. It's just the one that impairs the Tories' political advantage the most. They promised to re-write political financing laws to best advantage them.

The Bloc will continue to get their campaign expenses reimbursed as well as up-to $3 matching from the federal government for every $1 donated. That's how our political subsidies work. To suggest that political subsidies are being eliminated is false. The per vote subsidy isn't even the biggest one. It's just the one that impairs the Tories' political advantage the most. They promised to re-write political financing laws to best advantage them.

You're correct and I was never saying that their electoral expense reimbursements were at play, I was referring to the "per vote subsidy" under which any registered national party receiving 2 per cent of the national vote receives a $2 per vote subsidy (the subsidy is indexed to inflation so it might be $2 and a few pennies for this past general election). The per vote subsidy is the lifeblood for parties like the Bloc (because they do little in the way of political fundraising) to hire head-office staff, run research bureaus and all the other expenses. On top of this each MP it should be noted has what's called an MOB or Members Operating Budget which is a perk of being an MP, it amounts to about $200,000 for paying staff (both Ottawa and constituency staff) and pay to keep the lights on.

Why is one district brown in 2011? Also, the district boundaries are slightly different than the map here:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/politics/electionresults/index.html

Eug: This is the map and section I was seeking...it is quite interesting reading these election returns...

What Riding/District does Mike Ignatieff represent? The Liberal loss in this election was quite substantial...

The NDP looks to be the new "Loyal Opposition" to the Conservatives and they dealt the Bloc Quebecois and the Separatist Movement a hard blow...
Can they recover from this loss?

Lomg Island Mike

Last edited:

Back