News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

why not, just force the private sector to fulfill 100% of the cost and to maintain and charge them for the privilege.

It bad enough to have to listen to one side conversations on bus, but the subway will be over loaded.

I like the quite time away from phones when riding the subway even when there is conversation going on that is less than the cell folks.

It bad enough to have to listen to one side conversations on bus, but the subway will be over loaded.

I like the quite time away from phones when riding the subway even when there is conversation going on that is less than the cell folks.

Second.

Wi-fi would be good though.

i think we're lucky that we have stations that go aboveground in some places already. thankfully it's only a window of a couple of minutes to make your calls during that time or download your emails.

^ I've witnessed multiple people attempt the 2-minute mad dash through phone conversations between Warden and Victoria Park. Yes, cellphone calls on the transit system are very annoying especially considering the bulk of conversations seemingly pretain to the exact GPS coordinance of a traveller at any given point of travel.

Ga-sheesh, if your loved one has a daily route routine all mapped out and short of the unlikely case of prolonged delays, is it really that necessary to bombard a rider with mindless, monosyllabic quips (in effect getting in everyone around the caller's sensory range) when you'll have insurmountable time to do that at home, etc. :rolleyes:?

Cellphones in the subways...or on other public transit-

Everyone: In this cellphone-obsessed society we live in today I feel that there are two ways of looking at cellphone and WI-FI access on subway trains-as one who still does not carry a cellphone-the way I feel is that I do not need constant contact with anyone and I do remember from as recently as the 80s when they were a particularly expensive convenience. All that changed in the 90s though to evolve what we have today. People tend to overuse cellphones at times frequently-subjecting all around them to private conversations whether they like it or not.

As for access in subways I feel that a cellphone provider should step up and do the work at their own expense-not the TTC or NY MTA or any transit agency-to provide what can be a vital service to some or more annoyance to others. I have noticed myself how people use cellphones on transit-a great example is NYC's #7 Flushing Line-which for the most part is elevated in Queens-people quickly pull out the cellphones when the train exits the tunnel from Manhattan and it is quite a difference from the underground ride.

I recall a ad campaign from the LIRR concerning cellphone use that stated:
"TALK LOW SO NO ONE WILL KNOW" - with good points about cellphone use on trains such as how sensitive the microphone is and to just keep calls brief
and that conversations subject those around you to your personal business and private matters. I have heard stories about things such as personal private info being given out in public or one of my favorite get-even stories:

A rider was on a commuter train with a nearby passenger involved in a very loud conversation that was annoying all around them-I forget if it was foul language or something intimate and private-but this cell user gave out their number-this alert rider took it down or typed it into their own cellphone-and then called this person-who probably had call waiting or something therof-and mentioned that he was seated nearby and mentioned a couple of choice details-that annoying rider then put away the phone for the rest of the ride after being finally told off about how rude that conversation was.

Even though I do not carry a cellphone myself I fully understand why some people need them-a good example is a doctor that may need to be contacted at any time-but too many people use them in a rude and annoying way-which makes it bad for those who do not. I would carry a cellphone if need be-but texting and all those other frills is just not for me!
That's my two cents here today-LI MIKE

I agree with MTA's station-only approach. If you need to make a call, step off at the next station and make it there.

+1. There was a woman talking on her phone on the 504 yesterday and it nearly drove me nuts. It would be even worse on the subway as I find the underground nature seems to add extra stress to everyone.

Having a picocell on the platform area would allow email to be received in the subway system and eliminate the mostly dead time between embarkation and disembarkation, unless you get lucky during passage through an open cut or across the Don Valley.

Oh God, please no. I'm to the point where I would almost rather have someone light up a cigar in the seat beside me than to answer their cell phone.

"HELLO?"

"HELLO?"

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

"I'M ON THE STREET CAR!"

"I'M ON THE STREET CAR!"

"HELLO?"

"I'M AT CHURCH STREET!"

"HELLO?"

"NOW I'M AT VICTORIA STREET!"

"CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

"I'M ON THE STREETCAR!"

"I'M AT CHURCH STREET!"

"WHAT?"

"NO, THE RASH ON MY ASS IS FINE!"

"HUH?"

"I SAID, THE RASH ON MY ASS IS FINE!"

"OOPS, I MISSED MY STOP!"

"I'M GETTING OFF THE STREET CAR!"

"WHAT?"

"I SAID, I'M GETTING OFF THE STREET CAR!"

"TALK LOW SO NO ONE WILL KNOW" - with good points about cellphone use on trains such as how sensitive the microphone is and to just keep calls brief

Yes, if people would simply realize that you don't need to shout into a cell phone they would be much more tolerable. In-person passenger conversations don't bother me, but something about the shouting of a one-way cell conversation cuts right to my spine. I think humans have evolved to instinctively equate shouting with danger, which makes it almost impossible to ignore.

Pre-qualification - cellular network in the subway system

Saw the below ... here: http://www2.ttc.ca/html/results.htm and here:

R26PX10700 PRE-QUALIFICATION - CELLULAR NETWORK IN THE SUBWAY SYSTEM Jan 14, 2010 Mar 5, 2010 "AWARDED"

Does anyone have more info on this? What proposal was accepted? Who will be building the cellular network?

Thanks.

Since it's a pre-qualification, no contract has been awarded. I assume it means they've narrowed down the bidders to those who fulfil the technical requirements. However I don't think results of prequals are ever usually released publicly.

Back