News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

M

migueltree

I noticed fencing and constuction taking place at the Central Reference Library at Yonge and Bloor. Does anyone have any idea what this apparent renovation entails?

There was talk some time ago about renovations at the entrance - something more eye catching, I think. Probably a mistake. I'm not sure why the hoarding runs around most of the Yonge street side of the building, though.

Inside, they are replacing the carpets. I talked to someone in the library and she confirmed that the carpets will continue to extent partway up the walls. I'm pleased with that.

I believe there are also plans by Moriyama and Teshima to add a learning centre/computer lab right above the existing entrance atrium - though I am doubtful that's what the current reno is for.

GB

They've been working on it forever.

Part of me always hoped they might someday reclaim the space under the colonnade. I love the building from the inside, but damned if it isn't a black hole on the streetscape.

I heard years and years ago that they wanted to expand they little cafe they had in there to out into the collonade, to mimic a Chapters or Second Cup kind of atmosphere.

This was like, 5-6 years ago, though.

Back