8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought for sure I had made a thread for this building already but apparently not. This isocated at the corner of Charles and Gaukel in downtown kitchener and is right next to the former bus terminal and manulife center as well as directly across the street from an existing LRT station.

C8GfvEmXgAAksLm.jpeg

This is what the lot used to look like (credit to CBC KW twitter)

unnamed (2).jpg

Charlie_West_3.jpg

Those are a couple renders just for reference.

PXL_20210806_223901570.jpg

And this is the building as it currently stands (photo credit to taylorbb at WRC)

This was one of the earlier developments in this current boom and was the first to break the 30 floor barrier in the region as well as the first to break the 100m mark though it hardly held the height record before quickly being taken over by DTK condos (was likely only the tallest for a couple months at most)

I believe this topped out late last year or early this year, but there is still quite a bit of external work to do. Taylorbb pointed out that they've just started painting the building as it appeared in the renders.

Overall I'd say I quite like this project and the painting should hopefully really improve the way it looks currently.

It's pretty rare, at least in Toronto, to see unclad, poured-in-place concrete used as an exterior element (other than for the undersides of balcony slabs, which are nearly always painted (other than by the cheapest developers)), or closer to ground where you will occasionally see it, hopefully board-formed and with all of the wood's textures mirrored in it. I'm not sure I'd want to own in a building where a coat of paint and years of anticipated repainting and repainting and repainting was what was in store.

It's pretty rare, at least in Toronto, to see unclad, poured-in-place concrete used as an exterior element (other than for the undersides of balcony slabs, which are nearly always painted (other than by the cheapest developers)), or closer to ground where you will occasionally see it, hopefully board-formed and with all of the wood's textures mirrored in it. I'm not sure I'd want to own in a building where a coat of paint and years of anticipated repainting and repainting and repainting was what was in store.

Unfortunately not so rare here. Two recent examples of atrocious unfinished buildings, brick brewery and the still under construction gaslight condos which I am going to make a thread for.

This is gaslight as of a few days ago (my photos)
20210806_141715.jpg
20210806_142548.jpg

And this is brick brewery (same developer, image credit to tomh009)
20210120_222629818_iOS_resize.jpg

And that's about as good as you can possibly make brick brewery look. From any other angle it's hideous and the lighting helps here too

Unfortunately not so rare here. Two recent examples of atrocious unfinished buildings, brick brewery and the still under construction gaslight condos which I am going to make a thread for.

This is gaslight as of a few days ago (my photos)
View attachment 340552View attachment 340553
And this is brick brewery (same developer, image credit to tomh009)
View attachment 340560
And that's about as good as you can possibly make brick brewery look. From any other angle it's hideous and the lighting helps here too
Really? I think it looks amazing. Curious why “hideous”?

Looks good from only one angle. Unfortunately, most new condos being build in midsize Ontario cities look straight out of a 2002 Toronto Condo Guide.

Painting has begun on this one, the white is unfortunately very muted so it looks almost concrete grey. The black looks great though and matches the panels on the bottom well. If I could compare this to anything, it feels like a clunky and confused 357 King. That building resolves better even with all the material issues that one has.

PXL_20210818_235704481.jpg

It's starting to feel complete at grade, this photo doesn't really show that off well though.

PXL_20210818_235800859.jpg

Side note on the street over from this development there is a fantastic separated bike lane going in. Turning a two way road into a one way with ample bike separation. Surprised me one my first time seeing it, for such a car oriented city it doesn't feel like Toronto even gets treated to stuff like this.

PXL_20210819_000204819.jpg

Believe it or not the building is half painted...

PXL_20210818_233700477.jpg

Photoset taken today during an evening walk downtown. Find other photos in my post here.

For being a Thursday the streets were well alive, on my short route I encountered three performers, a local rally, and a park festival all within blocks. With Charlie taking occupancy now and DTK within the coming months it will be interesting to see the effects it has on how busy the surround areas become having many more units directly in the core.

A good example is right out in front of this building the pedestrian street (which is permanent) was being used as a venue for an event with many local organizations. I imagine this was because the park nearby had a festival being set up, but it's nice to see

PXL_20210916_224249382.jpg

Up the hill next to the old bus terminal (eventually to be housing) a piece of new infrastructure, a physically separated bike pathway nearing completion.

PXL_20210916_225231484.jpg

I particularly love this photo, greenery bathed in sunlight. I hope the trees next to the road get to stay here when the bus terminal is redeveloped.

PXL_20210916_225141201.jpg

Victoria Park green in use again finally, though I wish the fence wasn't necessary as the permeability is what makes festivals here so nice, but alas capacity restrictions.

PXL_20210916_224737045.jpg

An emerging skyline:

PXL_20210916_223743791.jpg

The Christkindl Market is back this year, much smaller than normal though. It's my favourite street market the city hosts each year. Normally held on King Street, due to construction at City Hall it was moved to Gaukel Street across from Charlie West.

Charlie West seems to be half moved in. Many units seem ready for the season too.

PXL_20211203_010917162.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211203_000706296.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211203_001521249.jpg

Basically complete, the ground level work is done and an italian restaurant moved in from elsewhere.

Seems work to permanently pedestrianize this street is happening with the removal of stop lights. Will be a great gateway to the park once the land around is developed.

PXL_20220422_002120004.jpg

PXL_20220422_001946875.jpg

The restaurant itself is nice, but the messy millions make it look rather cheap from outside which is unfortunate. The grey forehead makes no sense, like how is that cheaper?

PXL_20220422_001910351.jpg

Hopefully this is used as a patio, it feels like a missed opportunity if it isn't.

PXL_20220422_001850424.jpg

This is the space leased out by the city for a rotating art gallery, there's really nothing else that this narrow space could be used for, which really shows incompetence by the architect. At least it will have use...

PXL_20220422_003013151.jpg

Back