News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There's not enough meat on Fluffy to make it worthwhile, herbivore or carnivore, anyway.

Return chickens to Kensington Market

At one time, Kensington Market and St. Lawrence Market sold livestock. Maybe we should first make live chickens available at Kensington Market and St. Lawrence. Then, allow hens in backyards but the rosters (hatched from the eggs) could be sold on consignment through those markets.

Chicken are OK but roasters are incredibly annoying.
Indeed they are annoying. The charcoal ones at least - the smell was always wafting through the back door from the neighbour. I was quite pleased when he got a propane one though - and I'm sure the chicken roasted better as well.

I currently live with my parents and they have chickens, which I consider my own. They're quite intelligent, have different personalities and are friendly. I would love Toronto to approve owning chickens. I wonder if there are owners who keep their chicken(s) indoor?

I remember when they used to sell live chickens in crates in Kensington Market. I'd pass by in the mornings on my way to art school, and I now regret not hanging out with them more than I did, to see if they were friendly and quite intelligent, or just slightly intelligent, or quite unintelligent, or merely plain stupid, and what their personalities were like. But you can't go back, and there's no point having regrets.

The neighbourhood I used to live in in Tampa, FL (Ybor City) had a few populations of free-range chickens

3223935200_158176542c.jpg

PETA of course would be against it. Even though humans are omnivores, eating both plant and animals. Since we have already have gardens in our backyeards, why not add chicken coops for the other side of our diets.

Will chickens be the new chihuahua for urban hipster douchebags? :)

You have to wonder. A few years back it was little pigs which were all the rage. They, too, were supposedly intelligent and had personalities and so on. In the end they were just pigs for pets. Things would have been quite different if pops would have deemed Squeaky wasn't just for fun, but for food, and proceeded to slit his throat open on the driveway.

Legal or not, I know of a few households in Scarborough that keep chickens.

Laws aren't always reasonable so they aren't upheld by the citizenry. This is one of them, I reckon.

Even my parents in North Pickering aren't supposed to have livestock on their property due to some bylaw or other (though it's all rural here!) but they do keep sheep and rabbits.

Some things just make more sense than saying NO! to everything.

Speaking of which....have they banned smiles yet?

You have to wonder. A few years back it was little pigs which were all the rage. They, too, were supposedly intelligent and had personalities and so on. In the end they were just pigs for pets. Things would have been quite different if pops would have deemed Squeaky wasn't just for fun, but for food, and proceeded to slit his throat open on the driveway.

I'm not sure people should be allowed to slaughter pigs themselves.

Overall, I'm not sure why people would want to raise their own livestock except as pseudo-pets. It sure isn't cost effective. If you're worried about environmental impact, there are farmers that will cater to that concern, at substantially lower cost.

Chickens might not be too expensive to keep, but pigs, sheep, cattle would be pretty uncompetitive. I'm also not convinced that livestock would receive proper veterinary care when raised by people who don't know the first thing about livestock. It could be cruel in that way.

^ You can go out hunting and kill your food, but you cannot slaughter a pig for eating that you raised? That makes sense :rolleyes:

Back