News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The problem might be that while Keesmaat's been in the media on and off discussing city planning initiatives, she hasn't really had any sustained media presence and wide-spread name recognition outside of urbanism and city planing.

Even Tory, without council experience, has at least been under the media spotlight during his previous runs for mayor and premier- meaning that the ""rabble"' (heck, most of the politically uninvolved) at least had some notion of who he was.

That being said, if the left-centrist groups and the Liberal monied class consolidate their support behind Keesmaat as the single candidate from start to finish and give her the unadulterated media spotlight for the mayoral campaign (Tory vs Keesmaat), I think she might have a chance.

The Fords are of course, the big wildcard- if they chose to enter, expect the political air to be sucked out of the room.

Last edited:
The problem might be that while Keesmaat's been in the media on and off discussing city planning initiatives, she hasn't really had any sustained media presence and wide-spread name recognition outside of urbanism and city planing.

Even Tory, without council experience, has at least been under the media spotlight during his previous runs for mayor and premier- meaning that the ""rabble"' (heck, most of the politically uninvolved) at least had some notion of who he was.

That being said, if the left-centrist groups and the Liberal monied class consolidate their support behind Keesmaat as the single candidate from start to finish and give her the unadulterated media spotlight for the mayoral campaign (Tory vs Keesmaat), I think she might have a chance.

The Fords are of course, the big wildcard- if they chose to enter, expect the political air to be sucked out of the room.

How many people knew about Rob Ford outside of Ward 2 before he ran for mayor? 10 months is a very long time to make a mayoral candidate a household name. Keesmaat is telegenic and knows how to own a camera. If given the resources of those opposing another Tory term, she has a great shot if it becomes a one on one.

Definitely hope so too that it becomes a Keesmaat vs Tory fight- it would be exceptional to have an actual urbanist and city planner at the helm of City Hall.

That being said, there are plenty of stars to align in order for this to happen.

Last edited:
How many people knew about Rob Ford outside of Ward 2 before he ran for mayor? 10 months is a very long time to make a mayoral candidate a household name. Keesmaat is telegenic and knows how to own a camera. If given the resources of those opposing another Tory term, she has a great shot if it becomes a one on one.

For that matter, David Miller was a long shot at the beginning of the 2003 campaign.

For that matter, David Miller was a long shot at the beginning of the 2003 campaign.

Yes, another great example. I was at Miller’s campaign launch at the Gladstone Hotel. Maybe 50 people there at best. It was after the debate at the ROM when he really started to shine and be talked about.

I’d wager that more people know who Jennifer Keesmaat is today than those who knew David Miller even weeks after he was a declared candidate.

In fact, Keesmaat has more Twitter followers than our former mayor. Read into that what you will...

F4D23D39-A2C9-48DA-B7CD-8144EC63FE96.jpeg

0014E08E-B51D-4FFA-B2C4-383D8F8E05A9.jpeg

Attachments

• F4D23D39-A2C9-48DA-B7CD-8144EC63FE96.jpeg
    F4D23D39-A2C9-48DA-B7CD-8144EC63FE96.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 0014E08E-B51D-4FFA-B2C4-383D8F8E05A9.jpeg
    0014E08E-B51D-4FFA-B2C4-383D8F8E05A9.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
If Keesmaat is vying for the Mayor's office, her sudden approval of the Scarborough Subway makes a lot of sense. No candidate will become mayor opposing that project, and by supporting early she can easily fend off claims that she'll cancel the project.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how she'll get votes from the suburbs. Tory already occupies the formidable "as little taxes as possible at any cost" corner. And remember, if Doug Ford indeed goes into provincial politics that will massively benefit Tory. It won't be too easy for her to sway enough voters that already hadn't voted for Chow in 2014.

Given Keesmaat's advocacy of SSE, it's clear she abandoned any sense of integrity a while ago. So, politics it is.

Personally I don't think it would be wise for her to jump straight into the mayoral run - being Chief Planner is fine for experience, but I think she will need to be in the thick of council first. Plus it might wiser to avoid the potential vote split should a Ford run, let Tory run his course and consolidate her base with the new ward boundaries in place. She can't win this one alone with just the core votes.

AoD

Last edited:
By the way, Keesmaat’s podcast is very well done and will give you a great idea of how she’d run her campaign and what kind of platform she’d run on.

The timing of her departure gives her 4 months to detach herself from the current administration and prep for a January election bid announcement. I think we all sensed that Jennifer Keesmaat had mayoral ambitions. I’ll be surprised if she’s not at least mounting an exploratory effort to seek out support and determine if she’s a viable candidate.
I still have a sixth sense that something occurred to snap her patience, or realize it's time to jump from a sinking ship. One possibility? SmartTrack and Lawrence East station, and the Il Duce imbroglio.

I am concerned that her 'education' credentials count for little to the average plebe. Make no mistake, she'd be a real breath of fresh air and change, but I'm not sure that makes her electable. Tory knows how to schmooze Mr/Ms Toronto Average.

Given Keesmaat's advocacy of SSE, it's clear she abandoned any sense of integrity a while ago. So, politics it is.
There's no doubt she had to compromise her ideals to survive her tenure at City Hall. No-one is going to survive there if they live by altruism alone. You never elect a perfect candidate for Cnclr or Mayor, it's the one *most* electable, and at least for the downtown vote, she'd be very hard to beat. I'm amazed she's been as outspoken on some issues as she has been, and survived this long.

Keesmaat is telegenic and knows how to own a camera.
Incredibly telegenic. She could host a TV program and get a lot of viewers. However, TV viewers would be a complete waste of her intellectual side. She's certainly cut-out for the media or politics.

It Keesmaat is vying for the Mayor's office, her sudden approval of the Scarborough Subway makes a lot of sense. No candidate will become mayor opposing that project, and by supporting early she can easily fend off claims that she'll cancel the project.
This is going to be the big bug-a-boo. She probably will to be electable, but she can also re-mold the issue to make more sense for everyone.

Some excellent comments in the string, I found myself 'liking' seemingly contradictory views because they are all valid points.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it would be wise for her to jump straight into the mayoral run - being Chief Planner is fine for experience, but I think she will need to be in the thick of council first. Plus it might wiser to avoid the potential vote split should a Ford run, let Tory run his course and consolidate her base with the new ward boundaries in place. She can't win this one alone with just the core votes.
AoD
I can see her fairly easily grabbing a council seat, especially with three new ones up for grabs. And then maybe a Mayoral run in 2022. She may also simply go back to the private sector for a while and make 3x the money.

Back