News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why pay $8.00 for only 3 movies when you can pay $8.00 /month for unlimited viewing from netflix?
Like rogers, bell, netflix and OTA, Bluray is also a compressed medium.

Blu ray is indeed compressed (it varies) but not to a point where artifacts, blooming or other defects can be seen, plus blu ray is 1080p, broadcast 720p (or 1080i at best) often shows compression, depending on how much the channel (or program) is being compressed. The 2K or 4K digital you see on the screen at the cinema is compressed too. The quality on Netflix is horrific. A friend gave me her name & password for her account to watch the new season of "Arrested Development" and I couldn't believe how bad the quality of the picture was.
Video stores like 7&24 will become a thing of the past in the next few years, I know that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I've always enjoyed taking my time & scanning the shelves for what I'm in the mood for, talking to the staff about their recommendations and running into friends & neighbours. So to that end I'll follow 7&24 to wherever they go, until the end.

The quality on Netflix is horrific. A friend gave me her name & password for her account to watch the new season of "Arrested Development" and I couldn't believe how bad the quality of the picture was.

Netflix uses variable compression based on your connection speed....get a faster connection.

Blu ray is indeed compressed (it varies) but not to a point where artifacts, blooming or other defects can be seen,

As you said, it varies.

plus blu ray is 1080p, broadcast 720p (or 1080i at best)

ATSC(broadcast) standards support up to 1080p30, bluray only supports up to 1080p24.

Netflix uses variable compression based on your connection speed....get a faster connection.

Interesting, and thank you. I was talking to a friend about it (who knows his stuff and has a good eye) and he looked at me funny and told me his Netflix was just fine. So that explains it. I have Sympatico 10/1 (officially 12/10 but that was a mistake by Bell when they told me this building was "FIBE ready" but when the installer came he found that FIBE wasn't installed yet). So 10/1 is all I can get until they add an additional node to his area and run it into our building, so Sympatico tells me. Everyone I know in this area has FIBE, or is FIBE-ready.

There is some activity at the building at 600 Church (It used to be a lawyer's office). There is a sign posted asking for restaurant staff. Does any one know anything more?

The parklets are being disassembled today to be stored, I was hoping they'd be there until Halloween. If the BIA is happy with them they'll be back next year - hopefully in April or May instead of August.

Not really part of the Village, but wasn't sure where else to put this. They've been putting up some murals around the entrance of the TCHC building at 389 Church St:

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Compared to how it used to look, from Google maps.

Last edited:
I hope those awful " parklets " do not make another appearance. Not only were they ugly and cheap, I got really tired of being hit on for cash by the sorry collection of beggars and addicts for whom the " parklets " became worldwide headquarters. The Village BIA has really bad taste. You'd think they'd be able to find a couple of designers of substance to help them out with their inane plans.

I hope those awful " parklets " do not make another appearance. Not only were they ugly and cheap, I got really tired of being hit on for cash by the sorry collection of beggars and addicts for whom the " parklets " became worldwide headquarters. The Village BIA has really bad taste. You'd think they'd be able to find a couple of designers of substance to help them out with their inane plans.

I'm going to agree! I thought they looked cute for a week, but over time ended up looking tacky especially with those colors they chose. Those permanent wood benches were also a haven for homeless people during the evening. I was expecting the execution to be better.

THIS is how you do a parklet. Even better, make Church Street a two lane street, extend the sidewalks, add developed trees, and some small tables/chairs outside some of the businesses!

Parklet-Planter.jpg

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/ceda/documents/image/oak038817.jpg
oak038817.jpg

oak034386.jpg

Back