News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Hero Burger opened today at C+W so the roommie & I met there after work and grabbed some grub to go. I had the 6oz (aren't we on Metric yet?) Hero Burger with fries ($8) & my roommate got the 8oz Peameal Bacon Burger with fries ($11). The burgers were truly great along with the fresh cut frites (cooked in transfat-free oil). This isn't really my type of food but if it's yours I highly recommended giving Hero Burgers a shot.

I had a group of friends over tonight to squeeze in three or four films nominated for Best Picture Academy Awards. The plan was to hit Hero Burger in between films so we all headed over there at 1:45am but they were closed before their 3am closing time because they - are you ready for this? they ran out of food.

Everyone including me was disappointed because we had our hearts (stomach's?) set on Hero Burger but we settled for great food from A La Turque. Bottom line, I think its safe to say that Hero Burger is a smashing success if they ran out of food on a Friday night.

Wow, finally some positive news. I for one am excited, and I think the new openings will help bring me (and others) back to the village. My friends have told me Hero Burger is quite delicious, so I can't wait to get my beef on lol.

CREWS: I got a facebook message saying they are having a hiring session sometime next week!! Rumour has it that the place will be reopening, and as someone already mentioned, they've applied for a liquor license!! I'm sooo excited lol.

has anyone been to Chi-Ko-Roo yet? I've walked past there a bunch of times and the wait staff is hanging out in the front.

I have no idea what kind of food they're slinging. A menu out front might be a decent idea at some juncture.

Haven't been yet but the menu is a little unusual witha sprinkle of Hungarian to Italian to Greek fare without leaving out a standard breakfast and brunch fare.

Church-Wellesley Village Changes - Update

A walk around the Village today shows some places have opened or are coming close to opening, others sit empty. These were all of the closed retail spaces that I could find which suggests the C+W Village isn't in all that bad of shape.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Happily, The Church Street Diner re-opened yesterday

No movement at the old Pizza Nova space

Mamma's Shawarma Wraps has been papered up for a couple of months now

Hero Burgers is a beehive of acitity

The space above Sailor (formally Priape) is still up for lease

Zelda's space still sits empty

No piano playing at Statlers

Crews/Tango looms sadly after being closed for over a year now

Former Bigliardi's is being renovated, Pizzaiolo is coming in here along with whatever else it will take to fill that big space

March 11th Update of Changes

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

That mysterious south part of former Biglardi's will become a "Pizzaiolo" (amazing pizza) very soon

Former Il Fornello is now "Chi-Ko-Roo"

Former Lettieris has blown the doors off with "Hero Burgers"

Finally, Statlers will become something called "Elevate"

Finally, a little bird who would know told a friend of mine who is also trustworthy that as long as Crews gets their license they should be open sometime this spring. I could also see lights on inside behind cracks in the paper that are up in the windows so it looks like something is brewing in there. Hopefully.

has anyone been to Chi-Ko-Roo yet? I've walked past there a bunch of times and the wait staff is hanging out in the front.

I tried it last weekend and wasn't impressed. Terrible, laughably bad service. The food ran the whole range from uncooked to overcooked, unseasoned to absolutely sopping with grease. I'm giving them a provisional pass because it might've just still been opening jitters, but it'll be at least a couple months before I give them another try.

That Hero Burger does seem to be a hit tho, other than the crowds (which is the same "problem" afflicting Guu to the south; great food but a pain in the ass to get in)

Wow! This is so exciting lol. Also, perhaps related to this....I was reading through FAB the other week and noticed an ad for an after-hours nightclub! It didn't give any details but I'm wondering where it might be located. I even forget the name of the establishment.

That Hero Burger does seem to be a hit tho, other than the crowds (which is the same "problem" afflicting Guu to the south; great food but a pain in the ass to get in)

Guu is a unique restaurant for Toronto with a substantial amount of hype behind it. I doubt the crowds will thin there at all this year.

Having Hero Burger be swamped though is a sign of an unmet demand in the area. Thinking about the nieghbourhood, the majority of fast food options are pan-Asian, shwarma or pizza. The closest (non McDonalds) burger and fries type oufit is GBC on Parliament or the Hero Burger at Yonge and King. That's a big geographic hole for burgers they are filling. There is probably enough demand for another one of the city's burger chains to move in too.

Do they stay open late?

Wow! This is so exciting lol. Also, perhaps related to this....I was reading through FAB the other week and noticed an ad for an after-hours nightclub! It didn't give any details but I'm wondering where it might be located. I even forget the name of the establishment.

I think it's going to be attached to Remington's.

I was at Remmy's the other night for the first time in quite a while and got talking to one of the long-time bartenders. He never mentioned anything about a coming club, but did say that the new renovated downstairs would be having its "soft opening" this weekend.

Last edited:
Guu is a unique restaurant for Toronto with a substantial amount of hype behind it. I doubt the crowds will thin there at all this year.

Having Hero Burger be swamped though is a sign of an unmet demand in the area. Thinking about the nieghbourhood, the majority of fast food options are pan-Asian, shwarma or pizza. The closest (non McDonalds) burger and fries type oufit is GBC on Parliament or the Hero Burger at Yonge and King. That's a big geographic hole for burgers they are filling. There is probably enough demand for another one of the city's burger chains to move in too.

Do they stay open late?

Hero is open until 11 Sun-Wed, and like 3 on Thurs-Sat.

Back