News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Every time I walk through the Gay Village I see that Acme Burger is almost empty, while most other restaurants are quite busy. I can't see that place lasting very long. Even that central patio is not helping them.

OK that's just getting ridiculous. How many times has this place opened and closed and re-branded itself?

The backers pulled out suddenly early last week. I like the Statler's type atmosphere when I rarely go out, but sadly I think it's finally time to put this puppy to bed.

Every time I walk through the Gay Village I see that Acme Burger is almost empty, while most other restaurants are quite busy. I can't see that place lasting very long. Even that central patio is not helping them.

I didn't think it would last, one too many burger joints in the area and it's a bad fit with that great patio and no liquor license. Give it until late this year and they'll disappear into the night. The owners of the property should have played ball with Zelda's. It was wildly successful, the food was good - not great though a little overpriced but it oozed fun and had great atmosphere, inside and out. The patio was legendary and in a perfect spot where music and frivolity could happen late into the night with few neighbours nearby to complain.

Not in the village central but there's a new sandwich place opening up next to Bulldog; Brown Bag Sandwiches.

The second coming of Second Cup. Just days away from opening. Instead of "the steps" maybe now we'll have "the patio".

secondcupcw.jpg

The backers pulled out suddenly early last week. I like the Statler's type atmosphere when I rarely go out, but sadly I think it's finally time to put this puppy to bed.

I have it from a pretty good source that a deal may be close with another partner to re-open Statler's. We'll see in the next week or two.

I walked by the new Second Cup and ACME burger location at noontime yesterday (12:30 PM) and there were as many patrons on the ACME patio as there were on the Second Cup patio shown in Androiduk's picture above , which is to say NONE! I can't see ACME lasting very long at this location. I have not tried their Burgers yet are they really that bad? Why are they so unpopular?

I walked by the new Second Cup and ACME burger location at noontime yesterday (12:30 PM) and there were as many patrons on the ACME patio as there were on the Second Cup patio shown in Androiduk's picture above , which is to say NONE! I can't see ACME lasting very long at this location. I have not tried their Burgers yet are they really that bad? Why are they so unpopular?

Their burgers and food is fine, but IMO we have one too many burger places in the Village. I'm not a big burger guy but on occasion when I do go for one I prefer Hero Burger.
If the weather warms up a bit I think Second Cup will find it's crowd again and the patio will be a popular place to enjoy a good cup of coffee. Too bad Starbucks didn't grab this spot, I'm a Starbucks guy and I like to sit outside in the summer and enjoy a cup of Java. Next spring the Second Cup patio will be hopping.

Anyone know what the deal is with the new rubbish bin/solar-powered trash compactor in front of Wellesley Station? Are they testing it before replacing the rest of the bins in the city, or at least the ones in front of the subways?

Anyone know what the deal is with the new rubbish bin/solar-powered trash compactor in front of Wellesley Station? Are they testing it before replacing the rest of the bins in the city, or at least the ones in front of the subways?

Where the heck did these things come from? These aren't part of the street furniture program. The handles are all ready gross and dirty plus they smell as you approach them. Two thumbs down.

If the weather warms up a bit I think Second Cup will find it's crowd again and the patio will be a popular place to enjoy a good cup of coffee. Too bad Starbucks didn't grab this spot, I'm a Starbucks guy and I like to sit outside in the summer and enjoy a cup of Java. Next spring the Second Cup patio will be hopping.

Walked by The Second Cup just now, just a little past 11, and the patio was full.

Half the space of the old chocolate place is now a gallery. And it looks like Chikoroo has undergone a re-branding; it's now called Royal on Church. Also looks like Stadler's is gearing to be open by Halloween; saw some Halloween decorations in the windows.

Last edited:

Back