News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't see why gays have to hate on the village. If you don't like it, fine, no one is forcing you to go there. But it's the one place you can just go and be yourself and no one cares.

On the contrary... some people find themselves judged much more frequently and much harsher in the village than anywhere else.

Judged by who and why would one care what others mistakenly think?

Walk past the crowd sitting outside Timothy's, and they're all judging your appearance. Go to a bar, and everyone is checking everyone else out. True, nobody is being judged for being a homo there. But people are being judged based on their appearance instead. It's not very comforting for some people, especially those deemed to be "ugly".

As for your second point -- it's easy to say "I don't care what other people think", but only a total sociopath actually believes it. If nobody wants to be seen with you, it's hardly a welcoming, friendly place, now is it?

Two new Village-related articles...

Zelda's Vamooses - Sept. 30th Update (Xtra)[/SIZE]

Zelda's new location on Yonge Street at Isabella between Sharon's! & Flight Centre (most recently Arrabiata Trattoria & Resto-Bar). This is where they started back in '82 or '83 with The Living Well Cafe.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Walk past the crowd sitting outside Timothy's, and they're all judging your appearance. Go to a bar, and everyone is checking everyone else out. True, nobody is being judged for being a homo there. But people are being judged based on their appearance instead. It's not very comforting for some people, especially those deemed to be "ugly".

As for your second point -- it's easy to say "I don't care what other people think", but only a total sociopath actually believes it. If nobody wants to be seen with you, it's hardly a welcoming, friendly place, now is it?

Are those shallow people making those shallow judgements worth fretting over? I'm uncertain why you would think that someone who doesn't submit to those artificial standards is a sociopath. What is so wrong with being yourself - that is who you are and unless you are a major crim, why should you have to pretend you are something you are not just to be excepted by those you deem to be so judgemental? Courage my love! Ultimately, nothing works better than being who you really are because that is who you are. Embrace your individuality and thank the gods for making you so. Do you really want to be one of the shallow?

This is a whole block here, from Dundonald to Gloucester Sts. that is under threat of development, not just the north-west corner of Dundonald & Church

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Looking north from Dundonald to Gloucester Sts.

South from Gloucester to Dundonald Sts. including 596 Church Street at the corner (Gloucester Mansions, 1911)

580-582 Church Street (Second Empire duplex, 1878)

584 Church Street (Catherine Collard House, 1909)

592 Church Street (Wallace Millichamp House, 1873)

596 Church Street (Gloucester Mansions, 1911) facing Church Street and rear of the property on Gloucester Street

October 5th update: added new & improved photos of this block & some buildings

Last edited:
This is a whole block here, from Dundonald to Gloucester Sts. that is under threat of development, not just the north-west corner of Dundonald & Church

ok, i'm confused now.

the NOW article said the SW corner and everyone is talking about those old mansions; however, those are the NW corner.

at the SW corner are Progress Place and the Beer Store ... no big losses.
i would even include everything on the block S to Wellesley would be a welcome addition for re-development.

ok, i'm confused now.

the NOW article said the SW corner and everyone is talking about those old mansions; however, those are the NW corner.

at the SW corner are Progress Place and the Beer Store ... no big losses.
i would even include everything on the block S to Wellesley would be a welcome addition for re-development.

NOW incorrectly stated the corner (does any media on this continent employ fact checkers or proof readers anymore?), it's the north-west corner - in fact this is blockbusting as the proposal is to redevelop from Dundonald Street to Gloucester on the west side of Church St. That is presuming that the rest of the NOW article is correct, which it may or may not be.
Progress Place would be a great loss for the community who use the facility but of course the S/W corner would the reasonable corner for mid-rise redevelopment as opposed to the obscenity that is being proposed.

You're being judged everywhere you go, not just in the gay village. We all make judgements and assumptions about people all the time. You just have to deal with it.

Apparently the only house that would be raised would be where the tanning place is. And look for 20-25 stories.

I've always found it a strange irony that people who think they don't live up to a particular standard of looks also think that they are the centre of attention wherever they go. Assuming you don't have some unusual physical disfigurement (which would not limit this problem to Church Street,) do you really believe after you walk past Timothys that everyone is checking you out, judging you, thinking about what you are wearing? Do they keep talking about you after you leave?

Someone who looks at you when you walk past may just be thinking about the weather.

Besides, Timothy's is full of bears who don't really judge anyone from my experience.

The patio at the Rainbow's usually the spot to people watch and where judgement's going on if at all, and to a lesser extent, O'grady's.

I wish I had lived here when the steps were around: there's no real central congregation point anymore.

And my gym is across from the new Zelda's - that place is going to tank quickly once they move in unless they make some significant menu changes as well as improve their service. I've lived in the village for three years now and have been to Zelda's twice in that time, both times leaving disappointed with the food and the fact that it took upwards of an hour to get a burger to the table.

Without the patio, its a moot spot.

Besides, Timothy's is full of bears who don't really judge anyone from my experience.

The patio at the Rainbow's usually the spot to people watch and where judgement's going on if at all, and to a lesser extent, O'grady's.

I wish I had lived here when the steps were around: there's no real central congregation point anymore.

And my gym is across from the new Zelda's - that place is going to tank quickly once they move in unless they make some significant menu changes as well as improve their service. I've lived in the village for three years now and have been to Zelda's twice in that time, both times leaving disappointed with the food and the fact that it took upwards of an hour to get a burger to the table.

Without the patio, its a moot spot.

It was quite the shame to lose the Steps, but it had also become a congregating spot for homeless people.

Back