News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The new bar going in to George's Play is called Church on Church St.

the story says the new owners are sound proofing the place and will have a dj and various party nights....didn't george pratt offer to soundproof the place and the owners said no and that they wanted it shut down by midnight?

either way, the fact that old play and the village rainbow are remaining gay venues and not donut shops or banks is a big positive

the story says the new owners are sound proofing the place and will have a dj and various party nights....didn't george pratt offer to soundproof the place and the owners said no and that they wanted it shut down by midnight?

either way, the fact that old play and the village rainbow are remaining gay venues and not donut shops or banks is a big positive

iirc, there was a dispute by george and the owners as to who would pay for the cost to soundproof.
no one wanted to pay, so the owners asked him to shut down by midnight.

if i had a very successful bar i would gladly pay a few thousand bucks for some sound proofing to keep it going...maybe george saw a bigger picture and was happy moving things over to play...

speaking of play...has anyone been in it lately since it's kind of a club as well as a strip club? do you need to be a member to walk in? can you just pay an entry fee to walk in? if you do that can you still go upstairs to watch the strippers and sex shows?

anyone know?

thanks

Interesting developments, although it does seem like much of the same. Church on Church is basically George's Play (with drag queens and such), and Big Johnsons is basically the Village Rainbow (another pub). Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it would have been nice to have something NEW come along. I hope they don't end up closing down like their forebearers.

Zelda's is no more, it seems, after the fire.

Holy crap, that's news to me! While I had pretty poor experiences at Zelda's, it's still a bit sad to see it go =(.

On another note, it looks like the Big Johnson's pub managed to open on Pride Day. It was really a bit strange, seeing as they could have made A LOT more money if they'd just opened 2 days earlier (say, the Friday of Pride weekend), but I guess better late than never? It actually looked decent inside, and it was busy when I walked by. Let's see how this plays out!

Holy crap, that's news to me! While I had pretty poor experiences at Zelda's, it's still a bit sad to see it go =(.

On another note, it looks like the Big Johnson's pub managed to open on Pride Day. It was really a bit strange, seeing as they could have made A LOT more money if they'd just opened 2 days earlier (say, the Friday of Pride weekend), but I guess better late than never? It actually looked decent inside, and it was busy when I walked by. Let's see how this plays out!

They were still laying in the floors on Thursday evening but it was really busy when they did open so good for them.

Maple Leaf Medical across from Loblaws is moving out in September over to 14 College (just west of Yonge).

Had lunch with a friend at Big Johnson's this afternoon, the food was decent but the service could have been a bit better. I'm chalking it up that the guy that served us was brand spanking new to the world of serving.

Had lunch with a friend at Big Johnson's this afternoon, the food was decent but the service could have been a bit better. I'm chalking it up that the guy that served us was brand spanking new to the world of serving.

It's going to take some time before people warm to it and they (the restaurant) find their groove. Smart that they decided to open during the summer as a beer is a beer and a patio is a patio. Not smart that they weren't fully ready for Pride, though.

Toko Sushi at Yonge & Isabella has closed.

Rodent infestation and "gross unsanitary conditions."

Toko Bistro & Bar
Inspected on: July 17
Inspection finding: Red (Closed)
Number of infractions: 13 (Minor: 4, Significant: 4, Crucial: 5)
Condition(s) for closure: Operator fail to prevent a rodent infestation. Operator fail to prevent gross unsanitary conditions

Back