News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One of the best things about Toronto is how it is possible to escape to a quiet side street with little traffic, or even people for that matter, a five minute walk from almost anywhere.

One thing that makes people moving from elsewhere feel claustrophobic, I think, is keeping up the habit of driving everywhere. In most parts of the city, eastern Scarborough is probably an exception, driving is very unpleasant, and you are constantly reminded that you are a 30 minute drive from the edge of the city in good traffic. And traffic is never good. If you're living in the old city of Toronto, I recommend using your car as little as possible, try walking or biking instead.

That's not true. I can drive to Steeles, in good traffic, in less than 10 minutes. I live in a pretty central location.

One of the best things about Toronto is how it is possible to escape to a quiet side street with little traffic, or even people for that matter, a five minute walk from almost anywhere.

One thing that makes people moving from elsewhere feel claustrophobic, I think, is keeping up the habit of driving everywhere. In most parts of the city, eastern Scarborough is probably an exception, driving is very unpleasant, and you are constantly reminded that you are a 30 minute drive from the edge of the city in good traffic. And traffic is never good. If you're living in the old city of Toronto, I recommend using your car as little as possible, try walking or biking instead.

I enjoy walking & cycling a lot too, however, I find driving to be pretty OK for the most part as long as you do it outside of rush hour. I live in midtown however. Even with the Eglinton LRT construction, I'm finding it OK on weekends & evenings.

A lot of people seem to be interpreting my original post as a cry for help in a city gone wild... :)

Actually, my experience in moving here has been nothing but positive. So positive that I am wondering if it is just a prolonged honeymoon phase, that eventually the excitement and novelty will wear off. After two years, I am still impressed by the city, still love strolling around downtown, still in awe when seeing it lit up at night, still feeding off the energy and the pulse, still thankful and appreciative that we were able to come here and enjoy a lifestyle that we could never have in Halifax. My question was more about if others who moved here experienced the same type of thing but have now hit the proverbial wall.

As someone who grew up in and spent most of their life in suburbia, I worry if this is just a temporary phase or if I actually am in the process of "morphing", if you will, into someone who genuinely prefers the urban landscape.

That being said, we spent yesterday afternoon strolling through the Corktown Common, had a coffee at Balzac's in the Distillery District, then took a stroll along the Esplanade back to Yonge. Very pleasant afternoon, I must say. :)

I agree with this, I've been here a few years and I'm not bored. I keep discovering places I've never been to which are pretty great. Just as an example, this year I discovered the Scarborough Bluffs, the view west from the RC Harris plant is amazing. There are also tons of scenic areas & small towns outside of Toronto within driving distance, that are worth visiting.

I can't get bored of the food either. You go to Scarborough and there's 5-6 plazas full of Chinese restaurants in one spot.

The other thing is, this city is changing so rapidly it's tough to get bored. I haven't visited the new park & village at the West Don Lands yet, which is completely new. Next year Queens Quay will hopefully look way better. I'm in awe whenever I walk around there and see all the new buildings.

Not everything in Midtown is super-expensive. The houses average at over a million now sure, but the condos range fairly cheaper.

I think Midtown is the ideal fit for your situation, it is the best blend of urbanity and suburban vibe without any of the negatives of either you can find in the city. :)

You can get smaller houses like semi-detached or townhouses for cheaper as well.

Getting to Steeles means you're half way out of the city at best, doesn't it?

I live near Eglinton myself and I think that's basically the dividing line. North of there driving is often the best way to get around. South, I guess it depends on what you're used to, or what you're comparing it with, but driving can be unpleasant and biking can be faster. And even then the 401 can really screw with your plans if you get sick in a traffic jam.

I rarely drive myself. All I was trying to say is that if you come from a smaller city or a more car friendly one, say Dallas, Toronto can get you down. For myself I find driving south of Bloor is very stressful but walking or biking is really pleasant, which is why I suggest giving it a try.

Frankly the fact that Toronto sucks for driving is one of my favourite things about this city.

Steeles is the northern boundary of the City of Toronto. I'm guessing you're referring to the GTA?

That's not true. I can drive to Steeles, in good traffic, in less than 10 minutes. I live in a pretty central location.
I'm going to call bullshit on that one. Eglinton to Steeles is 10 km. If one drives the speed limit, at 60 km an hour, and hits all the lights on green, then it would take 10 minutes.

I suppose if your definition of central is Don Mills Road and Eglinton. Or Rathburn and East Mall, you might have a chance. But even then, not at rush hour - or anytime between 11 AM or 10 PM from Don Mills Road and Eglinton.

Though since when was the edge of urban development Steeles - unless you live in eastern Scarborough?

To be honest, I think the only possible way to get from Eglinton to Steeles in 10 minutes is via the DVP/404 in no traffic.

In any case, I agree that north of Eglinton, it's still pretty reasonable to drive to most places, particular given that parking is more plentiful and the congestion, while still heavy during rush hour, isn't quite as mind-numbing as being stuck in traffic down near Yonge & Bloor.

To be honest, I think the only possible way to get from Eglinton to Steeles in 10 minutes is via the DVP/404 in no traffic.

In any case, I agree that north of Eglinton, it's still pretty reasonable to drive to most places, particular given that parking is more plentiful and the congestion, while still heavy during rush hour, isn't quite as mind-numbing as being stuck in traffic down near Yonge & Bloor.
Agreed. Though I'm only assuming that central means Eglinton ... I'd tend to use if for the centre of old Toronto - not the extreme edge.

I don't think there would be a honeymoon phase because I think a lot of people know quite quickly whether or not they are going to enjoy their lives in the city. Some people I have met during my studies, at work or around town who hail from small towns dislike the urban life right off the bat and plan on moving out once the time is right (when they have enough money, have a family, etc).

I think a lot of it depends on where in the city you live. I lived in a downtown condo for a number of years but for whatever I just never really settled in. It never felt like 'home'. For me it felt like going from work back to my hotel. There wasn't that sense of community and it was there that I started to dislike being downtown so much because it all felt a little sterile and lonely (even though there were a lot of people around).

Moving out of downtown made me appreciate downtown more than I did when I lived there.

I'm very much a city person and love the interactions in anonymous high density parts of major cities. That being said, I also understand and value living in a community with friendly people you have things in common (or have mutual interests) with. I find the best way to get the most out of a city is to find a neighbourhood or suburb where you click with the people and are comfortable and energized. Then, most certainly, you'll be able to enjoy the city more on your terms. There are parts of Toronto that feel cold and unfriendly to me and parts where everyone seems to smile at me and where I enjoy all the activities/foods/interactions. Age/socio-economic status/schools/entertainment options/bars or lack thereof/restaurants whether fine dining or takeout/a particular flavour of ethnic mix or lack thereof/built form/transportation links all play a big part in defining a neighbourhood as being ideal for you.
In my case I moved from Yonge Street to a middle class suburb with good transit connections to downtown and a friendly mix of Latin American, South Asian, Middle Eastern and European people/culture. There is plenty of retail and nightclub options and everything is bright and clean, a place where I feel right at home but can experience downtown life whenever I want (I'm very much a city guy, Toronto is only now starting to get big enough for me...I like London/New York sized ideally, though those cities also have other drawbacks unique to them).

Last edited:
Just curious, which areas do you consider unfriendly?

The place that really stands out is the Rosedale area (around Yonge/Roxborough), some of the old money neighbourhoods like that have really unfriendly people. Polite enough when you talk to them but no eye contact or smiles otherwise. Parts of Markham are a little anti-social too, but that's outside of the city proper so doesn't really count. Quite bizarre considering other upper middle class neighbourhoods in Toronto like King West, West Queen West and suburbs like Mississauga/Orangeville/Pickering have very friendly people.

Back