News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I know someone who lives at City Place and gave another resident s*it (pun intended) for not picking up. He didn't care, said "what are you going to do about it?" and laughed. With that attitude, you're not going to get very far convincing them to be responsible dog owners unfortunately.

It's all spoiled, 20 year old, U of T students who rent there, so what do you expect. I think there is a rule, no 40+ allowed in Cityplace. Check out how many drunk, young punks, stagger through there on a Friday night. Seriously, I saw this one dude so drunk, he couldn't figure out which building he lived in. He was puking in every lobby in Cityplace. That is one strange neighbourhood.

If I lived at cityplace, I would hang out for a while to see who doesn't pick up the shit. Then snap of photo of them and post it in the lobby.

Yes, awesome idea, i like it..If I had some free time, and was bored I would totaly do that if I lived there.. That guy who said "what are u gonna do about it?" well here's what buddy, ur mug shot in our lobby, laminated, under the glass on a post it board, with a nice caption like site contaminator, or something...well that might we weak but u get the idea.

Apparently, this is a real problem though, not just superficially. It likely effects sale prices potentially, (albeit in a minor way), but more importantly, it effects water run off, and in the states, it became a real problem when 40% of dog owners aren't picking up, mostly dudes btw. It effected alot of communities and beaches from Florida to Virginia, where people had to boil water, or not go to the beach. I hope nothing like this happens to our water supply. Read that in a USA today article....nasty people, wouldn't want to be in a relationship with those people if they are that lazy and can't even pick up their dogs poop, I wonder how long they might leave their new born's poop...hmmm..nasty.

City place haters are as old as Cityplace itself. People have always hated the development. In fact, it was the emblem of Toronto's condo boom for a while. Anyone who thinks Cityplace will be a future ghetto shouldnt be working in real estate. Whats interesting about the article above is that it looks like the guy is actually admitting what his critics were accusing him of - "exagerrating".

I live in a unit on Front St. and everyone is blown away by it when they visit. It still increases in value - I am garunteed to have more than doubled my earnings and aside the HST, my maitenance fees have stayed almost stagnant over 6+ years. When I first moved in and bought a condo, and relayed the location, people were saying there is nothing there. Now King West (one full block up from me) is the most happening place in Toronto (Btw, this is due in part to Cityplace residents partying and filling up the restaurants/clubs/grocery stores etc.) The nieghborhood is not even done yet and some people are still staying it will be a ghetto. Good luck with that prediction.

Some of the newer Cityplace buildings are getting bad reviews (but its just typical bs you hear when people move into new condos). People say they are mad because of traffic. Its ridiculous. I have lived in SOHO, NYC and Jersey City. No traffic is when you should be worried about real estate value. What determines real estate is more location. 10 years from now, no one is going to care or tell the difference between the Tridel building across the street or the SOHO Metropolitan. All those buildings will look as old as Cityplace and with the similar value. Location and the layout of your condo is what people will buy.

A level headed post, Dp55. I'm not a CP hater nor am I a fan.

I think the location is fine. But it just needs to build into a neighbourhood and perhaps that will happen over time with increased amenities. If it is just towers among a certain radius then that's no difference than many buildings in Scarborough despite it's proximity to other neighbourhoods with more character. SOHO Metropolitan is fine being on Wellington one block south of King. I think things become more challenging south of Front. Bremner has a bad rep and my realtor wouldn't even show me buildings there. Another realtor friend of mine talked about the quality of many of the buildings in CP (and, to be fair, this would be case by case and not necessarily reflective of all buildings at CP).

I think the main issue is over supply. There are a ton of units here, always quite a number for sale at any given time, high percentage are rentals, rental rates don't seem to be as high as they could be, and appreciation (over the short term, that is) seems to have a ceiling as well. This is a matter of supply and demand and I'm not placing any personal opinion on CP. This just seems to be the case.

I think more emphasis needs to be placed on how CP can be improved as opposed to what's wrong with it (though I realize both tend to go hand in hand).

The issue of over supply and rental is all over downtown. Not just at CP. And the hate on so many towers in one area is similar to what's going on elsewhere too. Around Yonge street, every block as a few towers. Eg) 18 York, 4 pinnacle south of it, London on the Esplanade, L Tower rising, Backstage that will be built, Pier 27, Ice condos and Infinity condos under construction. MLS, The old Harbourcity towers, Waterclub towers, World Trade Center, etc. I don't know why only CP is listed as having too many towers in one area and a lot of renters. But the other towers on every block east of it is okay. What about all those towers going up North of Front Street? There's no over supply there? No renters?

As for coffee shop. There's no Tim Hortons, but there's The Spot at HVE. There's a sports bar there too. Sobeys and Longos are nearby with Loblaws coming online in a few years. What would be nice is a coffee shop at the park, but it remains to be seen. There doesn't seem to be many retails so far and maybe it's due to zoning? The townhouses can't provide anything but services because it's only zoned for that (work/home). Unless Concord leaves some space for retail and rent it out to anything other than banks, there might not be any retail on the west of Spadina. Or maybe it might be a zoning issue, I don't know.

A level headed post, Dp55. I'm not a CP hater nor am I a fan.

I think the location is fine. But it just needs to build into a neighbourhood and perhaps that will happen over time with increased amenities. If it is just towers among a certain radius then that's no difference than many buildings in Scarborough despite it's proximity to other neighbourhoods with more character. SOHO Metropolitan is fine being on Wellington one block south of King. I think things become more challenging south of Front. Bremner has a bad rep and my realtor wouldn't even show me buildings there. Another realtor friend of mine talked about the quality of many of the buildings in CP (and, to be fair, this would be case by case and not necessarily reflective of all buildings at CP).

I think the main issue is over supply. There are a ton of units here, always quite a number for sale at any given time, high percentage are rentals, rental rates don't seem to be as high as they could be, and appreciation (over the short term, that is) seems to have a ceiling as well. This is a matter of supply and demand and I'm not placing any personal opinion on CP. This just seems to be the case.

I think more emphasis needs to be placed on how CP can be improved as opposed to what's wrong with it (though I realize both tend to go hand in hand).

I agree. The main arguement against CP is exclusivity. There are alot of buildings particularly west of Spadina. But no matter what happens, its better than the deserted wasteland that was there previously.

The issue of over supply and rental is all over downtown. Not just at CP. And the hate on so many towers in one area is similar to what's going on elsewhere too. Around Yonge street, every block as a few towers. Eg) 18 York, 4 pinnacle south of it, London on the Esplanade, L Tower rising, Backstage that will be built, Pier 27, Ice condos and Infinity condos under construction. MLS, The old Harbourcity towers, Waterclub towers, World Trade Center, etc. I don't know why only CP is listed as having too many towers in one area and a lot of renters. But the other towers on every block east of it is okay. What about all those towers going up North of Front Street? There's no over supply there? No renters?

As for coffee shop. There's no Tim Hortons, but there's The Spot at HVE. There's a sports bar there too. Sobeys and Longos are nearby with Loblaws coming online in a few years. What would be nice is a coffee shop at the park, but it remains to be seen. There doesn't seem to be many retails so far and maybe it's due to zoning? The townhouses can't provide anything but services because it's only zoned for that (work/home). Unless Concord leaves some space for retail and rent it out to anything other than banks, there might not be any retail on the west of Spadina. Or maybe it might be a zoning issue, I don't know.

THe retail issue with Cityplace is a zoning issue. The city will not allow retail businesses which will produce extra traffic. Everything must be for the residents so nail salons, convenience stores etc. Its sad because all it would take is a destination-driving retail business like Whole Foods, a giant Apple Store, The Keg or something like Real Sports to take CP property even higher but with the zoning laws, good luck. There are all kinds of restrictions.

The truth is the neighborhood has some key developments that will vastly improve the area, so critics should reserve their worst predictions.

(a) The bridge over the railroad tracks to join the community with Front St. West
(b) The street to connect Bathurst through the middle.
(c) The signature tower

Wait until all the units are complete, then, exclusivity may or may not be an issue anymore. While Cityplace has alot of buildings, they only have a handful of larger size units with waterviews etc.

If it's a zoning issue, I don't know why people are dissing the builder for lack of retail. It would be the city's fault for the zoning law and not the builder.

I don't understand all the hate. It's not the builder's fault. And no I don't work for the builder or have any affiliations.

I'd have to go back and read all these posts again to determine where the "hate" is being directed. It seems that it's towards CP, in general, versus the builder or the city. Mind you, due to a lot of quality issues with many of the buildings, Concord has received much of it. Perhaps the city deserves more of it because if limits have been put in place that are keeping this area from being a destination then that's poor city building.

But I don't think finger pointing is the answer. I know I'm trying to look at CP objectively and that's what everyone should do. Those defending CP always point to it's location and proximity to the downtown core, the harbourfront, and King West. I think that it's due to that proximity that many people feel as though opportunity was lost. Since they're quite linked, I believe that's what stirs up heated debate.

If it's a zoning issue, I don't know why people are dissing the builder for lack of retail. It would be the city's fault for the zoning law and not the builder.

I don't understand all the hate. It's not the builder's fault. And no I don't work for the builder or have any affiliations.

Absolutely right. I have spoke with the developers about this specifically asking why there is such sparse retail etc. and that is what they say. Because the Rogers Centre etc., the city already views the area as too congested and will not approve any destination-driving retail. I think a retailer like Whole Foods, The Keg, even Apple etc. would view Cityplace as a no-brainer location because upward-mobile young 10K residents without any decent restuarants/retail would be easy money but the govn will not allow business which cause more traffic.

People forget what was at CP previously, which was nothing. In my opinion, they have done a good job turning an awkward wasteland into a residential area. It was much worse before. Dont get me wrong - I would love improvements but I think once its done, CP will be fine. The place is under-rated. The hate will actually help CP builders by keeping them on their toes and making sure they keep the project on the up-and-up.

Back