40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

CodeMonkey

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto Star said:
The Voice has been silenced.

Veteran broadcaster Mark Dailey wasn’t merely the voice of Toronto’s Citytv . . . he became the voice of the city itself.

After more than 30 years as an ebullient and authoritative nightly presence on local screens, the beloved 58-year-old anchor, reporter and announcer lost his fight with recurring cancer on Monday afternoon

Rest of story @ Toronto Star

Wow, I can't believe he's gone. :(

During a tour of the citytv building years ago in my high school years i got to meet Mark. We had the most boring tour guide who managed to suck all the fun out of the tour, all that changed when Mark showed up, i thought he would have been Mr Serious, but he wasn't anything like that, he was hilarious! quick witted and kind, he was the type of person you would love to work with, watching him off camera you could tell he loved his job, I have been a huge fan ever since.

I miss his sarcastic voice over intro's to CityTv's" Late Great Movies" often his intro's were better than the movies!

RIP Mark, CityTv wont ever be the same. you were the last saving grace for a lot of long time viewers.:(

I met Mark when after I exited the Staples on University Avenue with a precariously large box containing my new desk, I heard that familiar voice from across the street asking me if I needed help. He ran through traffic to help me carry the desk to a cab. I've never heard anybody ever say a single bad thing about Mark Dailey. He will be missed.

I put on the 6pm CityTV news that I record every night on my PVR when I got home around 9:30 from a meeting and nearly fell off the couch, I had no idea his cancer was terminal. I grew up watching this guy, briefly chatted with him several times casually where I work (terrific guy) and I was left feeling like I lost a friend. Stupid, I know but that's how I felt.
Toronto is a much darker and sadder place today.

For a guy from Ohio, Mark Dailey became a true Toronto original. Sometime down the line I hope something (street, square, etc.) gets named in his honour.

R.I.P.

This just left me stunned. I wasn't aware of his struggle with cancer. He seemed so healthy and vital and was a much beloved presence in our daily lives on City. Condolences to his family as all of Toronto mourns this loss.

absolutely terrible news. what a loss. i hate cancer.

i like to think of the moses znaimer years as the golden age of toronto media and mark dailey was a huge part of that.

Citytv Says Collective Goodbye To Mark Dailey http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...citytv-says-collective-goodbye-to-mark-dailey

Following his private funeral, Dailey's procession passed the Citytv building.

With police keeping traffic at bay, Citytv employees and old friends lined both sides of Victoria Street, sporting blue armbands for Prostate Cancer Canada. The hearse carrying Dailey's remains briefly stopped and opened, allowing us all a moment to salute him.

Roses were placed beside his signature fedora, which sat atop his casket.

As the procession finally drove away, we all stood silently for a moment, before a few scattered mourners began clapping, kicking off a rousing round of applause for a man who truly deserved one.

The camera crew bowed their cameras

Very sad for sure. Toronto lost a great guy. His voice is legendary, and I'll miss hearing it for sure. Seemed like such a friendly person.

Back