News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

What should be done with Commonwealth Stadium?

• a) It should undergo a major refresh

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • b) A new stadium should be built

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • c) Upkeep and minor improvements are all that is needed

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
Commonwealth-2-mainweb.png

"...the city is hopeful that the province may make larger investments in the stadium infrastructure to ensure modernization efforts can continue to move forward, as the economic impacts of major events continue to grow in our city.”

Seutter said the city’s plan is to continue to invest in the venue, which is used for more than football games, including concerts and other major sporting events."

Development design for Commonwealth has been ongoing to bring the facility to modern standards and it appears this stage will be complete by September. In the link below I found some information and pictures (scroll down to see Stadium Upgrades, details are subject to change). The differences that I notice are a snaking stadium entrance for crowd flow management, in the concourse there is glazing to replace panels as well as a new colour scheme and there are modern washrooms. I am not sure if there is a new layout in the market concessions based on the picture. Does anyone see any other differences? There are no pictures of the field. In any event, I would like to see upgrades completed to the stadium by 2030.

https://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_events/commonwealth_stadium/stadium-information

I do love the look of that glazing over the panels. washroom & concession updates look nice too and are needed but what this doesn't do is expand concourse space (which is brutally bad when building gets somewhat full) When it's full or close to it these are usually the premiere events the facility is truly evaluated on (i.e. Grey Cup, Heritage Classic, Concacaf). I am sure there are other upgrades we will see if more money flows in as these were probably based on a more reasonable budget doing regular lifecycle items.

I do love the look of that glazing over the panels. washroom & concession updates look nice too and are needed but what this doesn't do is expand concourse space (which is brutally bad when building gets somewhat full) When it's full or close to it these are usually the premiere events the facility is truly evaluated on (i.e. Grey Cup, Heritage Classic, Concacaf). I am sure there are other upgrades we will see if more money flows in as these were probably based on a more reasonable budget doing regular lifecycle items.

The webpage mentions that the upgrades would improve concourse flow and concession access though I don't see what has changed to address this.

Some neat renderings, but with the budget shortfalls the City is facing, I don't see any way this moves forward anytime soon. Would love to be proven wrong though....

Back