News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

including Bruins and Celtics and Red Sox are 40% better :D

Back off, last I checked we beet the bruins last game.

; - )

Last time I checked leafs have 2 losses and 1 win against boston this season and 44-24 overall.

errr, enough out of you !

Thanks for the stats though, I'm surprised Boston was so expensive, real estate I can understand but you mean just regular every day things ? Haven't been there so I cannot comment personally, I can about Chicago though and it always surprised me how cheap real estate was (in general..)

errr, enough out of you !
Thanks for the stats though, I'm surprised Boston was so expensive, real estate I can understand but you mean just regular every day things ? Haven't been there so I cannot comment personally, I can about Chicago though and it always surprised me how cheap real estate was (in general..)

Something about it being close to Harvard and only the elites of the elites can afford to go study there and even if you aren't an elite, the school breeds normal joes into elites.

Last edited:
^ Miscreant - I too live in Boston - and I completely agree with you.. I would say almost everything (minus liquor) is about 40% more here.

Where abouts are you? But yeah, I'm not sure I'd say day-to-day living is more expensive--eating out, etc. But either way I'm getting rinsed here, so my Boston days are numbered.

Beautiful city though--in the right places. Where it's ugly it's fugly.

SF rent prices in a comparable area to Toronto is roughly double. Boston is similar to Toronto, but it is also a bit smaller of a city. Chicago can absolutely be cheaper, if you are willing to live in cheaper neighborhoods that can have safety issues.

SF is more expensive all a variety of legitimate reasons: a far better climate, high paying jobs, tons of natural beauty. Toronto can't compare. If Canada has a city with all of that, it probably will cost Manhattan price (Vancouver with such mediocre job market and sad weather is already as expensive as it is).

Boston is not that much smaller. Boston and the Old City of Toronto are of similar size (100-120 sq km). GTA has 5.7M and GBA has 4.5M.

Toronto isn't exactly starving when it comes to jobs, its posting 3% annual growth rates. It just so happens that our population is growing even faster. The thing really driving up SF prices is the strict development controls.

Where abouts are you? But yeah, I'm not sure I'd say day-to-day living is more expensive--eating out, etc. But either way I'm getting rinsed here, so my Boston days are numbered.

Beautiful city though--in the right places. Where it's ugly it's fugly.

Umm, I don't agree.
My Bostonian friends find Toronto to be very expensive. Actually my New Yorker friends find Toronto expensive too.

How can Boston be 40% more expensive? Food is of similar prices. Sales tax is 6.25% in Boston, 6.75% lower than here already. Online shopping is definitely way cheaper in the US compared with here. Car insurance, I don't know anywhere where it costs more than in Toronto. Housing price is pretty much similar.

Boston is expensive in American standard. Compared with Canadian prices, it is nothing.

Toronto isn't exactly starving when it comes to jobs, its posting 3% annual growth rates. It just so happens that our population is growing even faster. The thing really driving up SF prices is the strict development controls.

yep, almost Draconian. Doesn't make sense... maybe because of water shortage?
SF should look like Manhattan with all midrise residential apartments everywhere, instead it looks like Toronto where 2 storey single family houses dominate the city.

Umm, I don't agree.
My Bostonian friends find Toronto to be very expensive. Actually my New Yorker friends find Toronto expensive too.

How can Boston be 40% more expensive? Food is of similar prices. Sales tax is 6.25% in Boston, 6.75% lower than here already. Online shopping is definitely way cheaper in the US compared with here. Car insurance, I don't know anywhere where it costs more than in Toronto. Housing price is pretty much similar.

Boston is expensive in American standard. Compared with Canadian prices, it is nothing.

Rent. Rent. Rent.

Canadian pricing is "more expensive" normally as well as everything is priced for the dollar to be around $0.80. The last few years of the dollar being at par have really screwed up price comparisons.

Rent. Rent. Rent.

I might read it wrong. If we were talking about rent only, then yes, Toronto is pretty affordable in fact.
Many downtown apartments charge less than $1000 a month for a decent bachelor/Jr 1bed room (esp east of Yonge between Carlton and Bloor). Hard to do that in Chicago/Boston/SF.

In terms of sale price, Toronto is substantially more expensive than Chicago for comparable locations, and at par with Boston/LA/DC. Cheaper than SF/NYC - actually SF/NYC are the only two cities which are pricier.

Comparing US population of cities to Canada is unfair given the Americans include population far away from the cities in the metro figures. Toronto has way more than 5.7 million people. In fact, the 5.6 million figure given in the 2011 Census did not include Hamilton (750,000) which technically it should to be more realistic. Add in three years of population growth since 2011, and the current estimated population of the GTHA is around 6.5 to 6.6 million people. That does not include the entire St. Catherines/Niagara corridor nor the Kitchener Waterloo corridor which would add another 1 million+ people.

Add in three years of population growth since 2011, and the current estimated population of the GTHA is around 6.5 to 6.6 million people. That does not include the entire St. Catherines/Niagara corridor nor the Kitchener Waterloo corridor which would add another 1 million+ people.

Might as well include Kingston, London, Ottawa, and North Bay. +1 million

Back