News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I was reading that in the condo agreement, we agree to have the hardwood covered with 60 percent of some type of carpeting. Is that unusual?

I was reading that in the condo agreement, we agree to have the hardwood covered with 60 percent of some type of carpeting. Is that unusual?

Why would they do something so stupid?

Have you looked into what they're covering up? I doubt it's hardwood.

I think it's to prevent alot of noise transmission to other units.
Engineered wood is supposed to be better than real hardwood since there is a layer of foam insulation underpad.

I have an air pocket on my hardwood which the builder claims is normal, it's not.

I have a question, most everyone in my building is running a humidifier 24 hrs a day, is this not a huge waste of energy? They're doing it for the floors, not because it's dry.

Should the city not step in and tell the builders enough is enough with this cheap engineered wood? All my friends who put in genuine 3/4 inch wood have no issues.

This goes back to the waiver they are making us sign. My guess is that it's cheap hardwood, and they don't want to be liable for the problems that come up.

I wonder what will happen if I refuse to sign it.

That's why I got concrete:) For some reason, they never mention that concrete needs to be covered!

That's why I got concrete:) For some reason, they never mention that concrete needs to be covered!

some builders don't give you that option.
when i bought my place, i asked them to leave the ceiling as raw concrete and they said they couldn't do that either.:rolleyes:

Engineered hardwood flooring for condos is typically glued down either to either cork or some other noise attentuation product which is also glued down to the bare concrete. That's why is costs more - there is glue, cork and it is real wood.

Laminate flooring is not glued down and floats on foam or other similar product which is cheap. No glue, what you see is usually fake and not the grain of real wood (its a picture of wood). It costs alot less because of less material, less labour etc.

So for your case, if you have a engineered floor, you may have no glue and it didn't bond (or the cork didn't) to the concrete floor. But if the floor is not level, you might have a bounce in the floor as the glue did not adhere to the cork or the wood.

The remedy for engineered option would be to put down more glue to make sure it is all bonded, and for the laminate option, to put in floor leveller.

Why would they do something so stupid?

Have you looked into what they're covering up? I doubt it's hardwood.

16. Each owner shall ensure that sixty (60%) percent of the floor area of each room, entrance, and hallway in his residential dwelling unit (excluding the kitchen, bathroom and foyer areas of every unit) shall be covered by carpeting or rugs.

It's ridiculous and clearly no one's going to follow that procedure. I doubt its regarding noise, as doesn't concrete pretty much block out the majority of noise?

It's ridiculous and clearly no one's going to follow that procedure. I doubt its regarding noise, as doesn't concrete pretty much block out the majority of noise?

I hope you have quiet neighbours. If you have upstairs neighbours who walk around in high heels on hardwood floors for hours on end or children who play with their toys and ride their trikes on hardwood you won't find the rule ridiculous.

That is ridiculous. What's the point of having hardwood if 60% is supposed to be covered-might as well stick to carpeting and save money. Of course no one is going to follow it but I suppose its a nice way for the builder to cover his ass if people complain that the soundproofing is too thin on the floor/ceiling. When I see things like that I wonder what other kinds of corners are being cut only to pass on the bother to the consumer.

16. Each owner shall ensure that sixty (60%) percent of the floor area of each room, entrance, and hallway in his residential dwelling unit (excluding the kitchen, bathroom and foyer areas of every unit) shall be covered by carpeting or rugs.

Maybe the development company has a high-ranking interior designer/decorator.

I doubt its regarding noise, as doesn't concrete pretty much block out the majority of noise?

the requirement is there for noise abatement. Solids, such as concrete, transmit sound better then gasses or liquids.

I talked to one of the home depot renovators about installing hardwood.

There are several ways to install hard wood floors.

1) Gluing and stapling it to the floor. (cheapest way)

2) Use a certain type of carpeting and slap the hardwood together on top. (Easiest way).
There are 2 types of carpeting. A thin one which is half the price (white/grey colour). The material kinda looks like packaging.
The second type of carpeting is twice the cost. (red in colour and twice the thickness) It helps sound proof the floor.

I think the second option makes it easier to replace hardwood. If it was glued and stapled down it would be troublesome to remove and the floor could be uneven too. However I don't know if the builder will buy the cheap or the expensive carpeting underneath it. They could cheapen and pick the cheaper one.

I talked to one of the home depot renovators about installing hardwood.

There are several ways to install hard wood floors.

1) Gluing and stapling it to the floor. (cheapest way)

2) Use a certain type of carpeting and slap the hardwood together on top. (Easiest way).
There are 2 types of carpeting. A thin one which is half the price (white/grey colour). The material kinda looks like packaging.
The second type of carpeting is twice the cost. (red in colour and twice the thickness) It helps sound proof the floor.

I think the second option makes it easier to replace hardwood. If it was glued and stapled down it would be troublesome to remove and the floor could be uneven too. However I don't know if the builder will buy the cheap or the expensive carpeting underneath it. They could cheapen and pick the cheaper one.

The last few posts are with respect to carpet required on top of hardwood or laminate flooring in condos to reduce noise. Condo rules regulate the amount of carpeting required.

Your post refers to carpet as something underneath the flooring. I believe you are speaking of the acoustic membrane or the acoustic underlay, not carpet.

Also, with respect to your first option, if you are installing yourself, not with the builder, condo rules usually require pre-approval for renovations and the approval process includes stipulations for the minimum acoustic underlay. I doubt any condo would allow hardwood glued directly to concrete.

The last few posts are with respect to carpet required on top of hardwood or laminate flooring in condos to reduce noise. Condo rules regulate the amount of carpeting required.

It's odd they require carpet over hardwood. I haven't checked out what's under my carpet here so I'm not sure if it's hardwood or not. But is there condo regulation requiring carpet over hardwood? The condo I used to live in at Scarborough only had carpet in bedrooms. The rest of the area was hardwood. Washrooms had ceramic/porcelain. I notice at other city place buildings (Neo or montage I forget which I saw), they use hardwood in most places too except bathroom and bedroom.

Back