News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

marchez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a new teacher looking to rent (purchase in the near future) a condo in Toronto. However, I work for the York Region School Board. I was wondering which neighbourhoods in Toronto would be the best for commuting out of the city in the mornings.

I have always loved some of the lovely neighbourhoods on Young St. (Davisville, Yng/Eglington, etc) but they don't really lead themselves to easy commuting.

Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Thanks in advance,
-Marchez

Where exactly will you be working? And where do you want to live? York Region and Toronto are very large! More details are required!

Is the TTC or GO not an option? If you're driving, I suppose there are two major North-South conduits into York - the 404 and 400.

I would suggest Yonge/Sheppard, North York City Centre, Yonge/Finch.

Really depends on where in York Region though. If you're out in Markham, Scarborough City Centre might be best.

All these corridors are close to York Region and along the subway line for easy access to downtown. Keep in mind, you can get some amazing deals north of Steeles if you don't mind the trade off for location in return for more space and lower rent/mortgage.

My wife commutes from Yonge/Sheppard to Richmond Hill (she's also a teacher). Takes her about 15 minutes in each direction. You'll generally be going against the major flow of traffic, which helps a lot.

I agree. The Yonge and Sheppard/Finch area might do the trick. You might also want to consider the bayview and sheppard area

sounds like you need to be near a GO station. St lawrence Market, HarbourFront, and CityPlace are excellent locations.

St Lawrence Market
Market Wharf ( pre construction )
L Tower ( pre construction / likely sold out )
London Condo ( best time to buy, just built )

Cityplace ( many buildings )
ice condo ( pre constrction )
Maple Leaf Square, almost complete.

I have always loved some of the lovely neighbourhoods on Young St. (Davisville, Yng/Eglington, etc) but they don't really lead themselves to easy commuting.

I always think of The St. Lawrence Market as the best place for commuting against traffic. You would be steps away from Union station, quick access to the QEW and DVP, and a walk to anywhere in downtown and you get the "lovely neighbourhood". But, most importantly, it is a cool neighbourhood, with a great social scene, the ACC, theater...etc..etc..

Traffic always sucks, so it is best to move within walking distance from work! That said, I believe that if you stick to the major routes, you should be fine.

Looking to move in right away? Check out:
- London on the Esplanade, which is in St. Lawrence Market.
- Domus, which is in "Upper Yorkville", but very quick access to the DVP via the Rosedale Valley Express (then again, DVP always sucks).

Looking to buy pre-construction? Check out:
- The L Tower, which is in St. Lawrence Neighbourhood.
- Pier 27, which is on the lake.

Maybe something a little further West, and with more entertainment?
- 300 Front Street West
- Fly Condos
- Festival Tower

Maybe something a bit further East? Leslieville is a great neighbourhood, with excellent restaurants, and close to the DVP and Kingston Road.
- Atria's Garment Factory Lofts, which complete
- My Abode Lofts, which should be starting construction any minute.

While getting dinner, I realized that for Richmond Hill commute (but, wanting to be in Toronto), maybe you would like St. Clair and Bathurst? It is very close to the Allen Road for commuting, but it is in a nice neighbourhood with great schools, and very close to the TTC and a Loblaws and Dutch Dreams for iced-cream. If so, check out:
- 500 St. Clair or 530 St. Clair.

Just some thoughts...

R.

M.

Last edited:
We live @ Y&E - takes us 25-30min to get to Warden and Hi-way 7 in the morning and only 20 - 25 min to get back.

Granted, we typically leave around 7:30/45AM and can take the HOV lane both ways on the DVP.

A few notes ... do NOT take the DVP from Eglinton - it's always crowded until you cross the 401 - we've timed it many times and it's quite a bit faster to go up Bayview to the 401 across to the DVP - once we hit the 401 were 90KM/H+ all the way to work.
y
By transit it's not bad, but NYCC is better to avoid the double fair (in walking distance of the finch terminal). Anyway, from Y&E it's still less then 1 hour comute typically (if you get the timing right). 15/20min subway - and then there's an express bus from Finch. This is to Warden and hi-way 7 though ...

I never typically suggest to live near your work ... if you're sure your going to be in the same job for a very long time then sure but live where you want but still manage to keep the commute reasonable. Personally - I find it hard to live / work if it's more then a 1 hour commute (by any method ... transit or car).

Last edited:

Back