8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

onfence

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the Toronto area, is it safe to assume that new condos use drywall and wood studs? I guess that's good enough to hang a TV from the wall? Thx.

If you're talking about high rise, it's metal studs. If it were me, I wouldn't put a monster TV on unless I was positive I was screwing into at least 2 studs. Even then I think I'd prefer to have a wood backing in there for the bracket. Best case if you have a wall next to an adjacent unit that's concrete put it there. That's not always possible though..

There are fasteners that will work to mount a television straight to drywall. My tv is hanging off of 8 toggle bolts and I haven't had any problems. Just pay attention to what the bolts are rated for (and in what material), and remember that if you get one of those fancy brackets that swing the tv off of the wall that you're exponentially increasing the actual force against the bolts.

But failing that, yeah, into the concrete is the way to go. A half-dozen tapcons will hold better than any toggle bolt. Hell, go for a quik bolt if you want to be really sure

So chances are the wall will have metal studs instead of wood ones since I'm in a high-rise condo? I've tapped my wall and it seems hollow in some parts, so I guess that it's not concrete.

So chances are the wall will have metal studs instead of wood ones since I'm in a high-rise condo? I've tapped my wall and it seems hollow in some parts, so I guess that it's not concrete.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't

I'm debating on whether to hang my tv. I think it weigh 100lbs (very heavy) and would hate to mount it to drywall. Can't see it supporting at TV. Having said that, when I look at the condo's across from me there are no fewer than 10 TV's hanging off the wall.

I put up 2 Tv's in our condo. Metal studs. I used toggle/wing nuts to support them. 80 lb weight supports. 2 32 inch TV's.
So far touch would no problem. The point about the swivel is true. Adds alot of torque and can loosten the toggles. But it can be done. 1 TV is 2 weeks, the other has been up for about a year and no problems. Ideally, I would put up wood but means alot of cutting and also fishing the wires can be tedious but is doable.

No way in hell would I mount a TV on drywall alone. Even the instructions will tell you for the mount that you must fasten to at least one stud. If there's ever a leak and the drywall gets damp, goodbye TV.

I put up 2 Tv's in our condo. Metal studs. I used toggle/wing nuts to support them. 80 lb weight supports. 2 32 inch TV's.
So far touch would no problem. The point about the swivel is true. Adds alot of torque and can loosten the toggles. But it can be done. 1 TV is 2 weeks, the other has been up for about a year and no problems. Ideally, I would put up wood but means alot of cutting and also fishing the wires can be tedious but is doable.

I've never encountered metal studs before (only mounted on concrete before). Can you please describe how you did it?

Basically drywall screws. Wood is much better to mount on, but you have to work with what you got. Put at least a couple of screws into each stud and use a bunch of toggle bolts (butterfly bolts) in the drywall area. That's pretty much as good as you can do without cutting open the drywall.

I've never encountered metal studs before (only mounted on concrete before). Can you please describe how you did it?

I will describe it but Wooba is right. The instructions do warn you not to do it in this fashion. It was not an ideal choice. My handy guy who has done alot of work assured me he has done this before and never a problem. We drilled 4 screws rated at 80 lbs with wing nuts to support on the other side. Wooba's point however should be taken seriously.
So far, touch wood it has been OK. There are no water lines (or shouldn't be where we placed them because no washrooms on similar walls.
When we went into the dry wall in my house,we actually ran a piece of wood between studs and adhered it. That will for sure last.

Metal studs tend to bend and are very thin so it is tough to mount on this. Obviously one can put plugs in concrete but like you, I did not have it.

So unless someone has another suggestion, it is either this route or get a thin stand and place it on the stand.

So, took the chance but be prepared to possibly loose the TV like Wooba says.

Walls separating units are usually concrete. Interior walls (dividing rooms) are usually hollow with metal studs.

Walls separating units are usually concrete. Interior walls (dividing rooms) are usually hollow with metal studs.

I tapped my wall and it sounds hollow in some parts, so I assume that it's not concrete.

Since my wall is presumably w/ metal studs, I assume that the minimum I need to do is find to metal studs, and put 2 screws (w/ toggle bolts) into each stud?

EDIT: I guess this is a useful link for me?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4814406_install-plasma-tv-metal-studs.html

Last edited:
I tapped my wall and it sounds hollow in some parts, so I assume that it's not concrete.

Since my wall is presumably w/ metal studs, I assume that the minimum I need to do is find to metal studs, and put 2 screws (w/ toggle bolts) into each stud?

EDIT: I guess this is a useful link for me?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4814406_install-plasma-tv-metal-studs.html

I must admit I would follow their instructions. However, the metal studs at least in our condo tended to bend with minimal pressure.

Back