39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
GST/HST rebates:
1) two main types - residential and rental
2) two components to calc formula - federal part and provincial part
3) phasedout after threshold amount (this amount is different for different provinces)
4) common practice (99% of the new home purchases) is for purchaser to assign the rebate to the builder, who in turn reduces the price of the house
5) example for #4 - builder will price the unit at, say $250,000. This price includes GST/HST and is net of rebate if the rebate is assigned back to the builder. Otherwise,
the price of the unit would increase by the amount of the applicable rebate and ONLY IN THIS CASE PURCHASER GETS TO CLAIM THE REBATE ON HIS/HER OWN.
6) This "assigment of rebate" is part of your agreement of purchase and sale ... those of you who bought new units - check your contract, you'll find this (usually one of the schedules at the back)
7) any r/e lawyer knows how to handle this and it is fairly straightforward ... (it does become somewhat complicated when you have mixed live-work townhomes, but that's another story...)

There is also a GST/HST transitional rebate for individuals that bought when the GST was 7% or 6%, and final closed when it was 5%. I believe the form is called GST193E.

As an owner who had an illegal notice from Canadian Condo Rebates shoved under my door, I am quite upset they did this. Not only did they trespassed on private property, they had the audacity to use the same envelopes the Government of Canada uses in their correspondence, put a Canadian flag on the envelope similar to the GoC logo, and put "final notice" or "second notice" on the envelope similar to what people get when they don't pay their bills. Only after investigating the company did I realize it was not a government agency.

Personally, I think the 10% fee is outrageous. It took me 2 hours tops to collect all the information I needed for my forms and send it to the government. As Redfirm stated, the builder (Concord Adex) already helps you claim most of the GST back for eligible buyers. Its only for items that they are not legally allowed/able to do so the buyer has to fill out the form. For these items, my lawyer informed me I had to fill out a specific form, and helped me with the calculations required.

I guess some people might find the 10% fee acceptable to them. But to solicit these customers, Canadian Condo Rebates needs to do what other businesses do - pay for postage and mail out their envelopes, instead of illegally entering private property. They also need to be more upfront with their potential customers.

There is also a GST/HST transitional rebate for individuals that bought when the GST was 7% or 6%, and final closed when it was 5%. I believe the form is called GST193E.

As an owner who had an illegal notice from Canadian Condo Rebates shoved under my door, I am quite upset they did this. Not only did they trespassed on private property, they had the audacity to use the same envelopes the Government of Canada uses in their correspondence, put a Canadian flag on the envelope similar to the GoC logo, and put "final notice" or "second notice" on the envelope similar to what people get when they don't pay their bills. Only after investigating the company did I realize it was not a government agency.

Personally, I think the 10% fee is outrageous. It took me 2 hours tops to collect all the information I needed for my forms and send it to the government. As Redfirm stated, the builder (Concord Adex) already helps you claim most of the GST back for eligible buyers. Its only for items that they are not legally allowed/able to do so the buyer has to fill out the form. For these items, my lawyer informed me I had to fill out a specific form, and helped me with the calculations required.

I guess some people might find the 10% fee acceptable to them. But to solicit these customers, Canadian Condo Rebates needs to do what other businesses do - pay for postage and mail out their envelopes, instead of illegally entering private property. They also need to be more upfront with their potential customers.

Dear Sir/Madame:

There is nothing illegal about entering a condominium in which you live. In addition, there is nothing illegal about using a brown envelope to send mail nor is there anything illegal about using a maple leaf in a company logo.

The door-to-door delivery method was adopted because our postal system was on strike at that time. Owners who are presently receiving the same letter will find it in their mailbox.

In future, I might suggest considering your words before making false claims.

Dear Sir/Madame:

There is nothing illegal about entering a condominium in which you live. In addition, there is nothing illegal about using a brown envelope to send mail nor is there anything illegal about using a maple leaf in a company logo.

The door-to-door delivery method was adopted because our postal system was on strike at that time. Owners who are presently receiving the same letter will find it in their mailbox.

those aren't claims, they are his/her opinions.
what you may have done is not 'illegal', it certainly could be construed as deceptive.

if they looked at the envelope and logo, and was given the impression it was GoC, i'm sure that was the intent.
otherwise CCR, your company could have easily used plain white envelopes.

In the future, I might suggest you consider your words before making further posts.

Dear Sir/Madame:

If you read my post carefully, the only thing I said was illegal was entering a private residence and soliciting business. The rest was just my opinion. The last time I checked, it is illegal to enter onto private property without permission. Unless you had prior permission from the condo corp. If yes, I would like to know and I will speak with the property manager myself for giving permission in the first place.

I received this letter too.

This company may not be technically doing anything illegal, but everything they are doing is suspicious. Why not explain the service you are offering, clearly, in the introductory letter, or at least on the website? Why explain the details of the service only on internet forums, when people are raising red flags that this might be a possible scam? Why pack the letter with time-sensitive calls to action, seemingly designed to make people panic to sign up so as not to lose money entitled to them? Why be huffy and defensive when people suspect your efforts are a scam, instead of realizing that perhaps you made an error in judgement and that your marketing materials are hitting the wrong notes and you should perhaps change your approach?

And, yes, IT IS ILLEGAL to enter a private residence to deliver your letters. I had a large mailing scheduled to go out during the Canada Post strike, too, and I waited until it was over to mail my letters. You know, like a legitimate business would.

I think we're getting through to the company. From my recollection, their website didn't use to have "Canadian Condo Rebates is not a government agency. A ten per cent contingency fee is applicable on all recovered funds."

It's a good first step in making sure potential clients are well aware they are not a government agency, and that they will charge a fee for their services. My hope now is that they will change their business practices to respect private property and not to give people the impression that they are a government agency through their stationary. I don't see why they would use these brown envelopes with "windows" and a red stamp marked second notice/last notice when a white envelope is cheaper, if that was not their intent.

I am not a first time home buyer. I bought a unit from CityPlace and have rented it out since. I signed the purchase agreement around June 2010. Does anyone has similar experience? If I qualify for any rebates?

I'm a little behind on this one by a week or two,

but I thought I'd let everyone know that I just called City Accord in 17 Capreol Court and spoke to an assistant there who not only said they do not share a building with Canadian Condo Rebates, but also had never heard of this company before.

I wouldn't give my personal information to any company who I can't even talk on the phone to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back