8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

ap70

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am a foreign Architect living in Toronto since 2001 and actually working for a company that supplies fixtures for the major condos in GTA.

I have been admiring the excellent contemporary designs and construction systems used in all these new buildings and I really like them, exteriorly.

On the other hand, what I have seen in the last six months on the interior architectural plans is the most bizzarre and low profile living spaces.

From kitchens without drawers, single 60cm closets to washrooms in front or beside a kitchen/stove, the spaces presented by the new wave of "developers" are nothing more than "empty eggs" those certanlly will have to be "redesigned" soon the market get a bit smarter.

So my question is why the OAA and other architectural professional regulators do not open a clear way to promote the integration of foreign professionals Architects? Why the so called "liability" is so important but when the matter is "liveability" it is put in the garbage by a blind side of these regulators?

I am not trying to attack anyone however this matter must be discussed with a little bit less politeness once as an professional of the Architecture I don't agree with the way that individuals and families are being set "smashed" inside of these spaces.

An interesting issue. Perhaps, in the breathless property speculation market of the past few years, Flipper has become the tail that wags the dog, requiring small, bite-sized units of space that are economically perfect for his flippin' needs but of little practical use for most human beings who are actually looking for somewhere decent to live?

Yes, some interior spaces are quite strange and not practical. Many newer developments have closets that are two or more inches smaller in width than ones found in the past, guaranteeing that hanging clothes will always be pressed up against a door.

Pity the person who has clothing for their broad shoulders.

Yes, some interior spaces are quite strange and not practical. Many newer developments have closets that are two or more inches smaller in width than ones found in the past, guaranteeing that hanging clothes will always be pressed up against a door.

Pity the person who has clothing for their broad shoulders.

The 4plexes in the Beaches have closets like this, and they were built in the 1920s. When you hung up a garment the door wouldn't shut anymore.

60cm wide.

...I mean 60 cm wide...not depth...one closet in the main door one in the bedroom.

It is not enough for the summer clothes ...where the winter stuff will be placed...the bedroom has no space for additional shelves...it is just Caothic...

Bathroom doors opening on to the dining area. How...declasse! Alas, very common in a lot of these new developments. Oh, WHERE have the old standards gone?

Yes...

Yes..they are doing it!
It is incredoble when you go over the architectural plans and see the solutions that have been adopted in order to force one or two more suites in a floor.

Can you imagine someone using the bathroom while you are preparing the dinner/table?

It is just nasty!

...or maybe they are so ahead of the marketing/market that the bet on "singles for life"... just sad!

I rotate my clothes by season ... but I've got a basement, and that's cheating within the context of this thread.

I used to have a bed with 4 pull-out drawers on casters beneath - it was practical for storing bed linen, towels, and clothes. Designing for a small space is an art, and living in one can be a challenge even if you're a neat freak and avid de-clutterer. Minimalist interiors - pedestal sinks in bathrooms, for instance - eliminate space to tuck things away in. My previous neighbours renovated their place, and got rid of most of their kitchen cabinetry; it made the place look bigger at the open house when they put it on the market, but I think it would have created practical problems for most potential buyers.

Back in university when we rented a place at 1001 Bay, the only bathroom was an ensuite off the bedroom - solved the entry into the living/dining room aspect, but guests would have to walk through the bedroom to use the bathroom.

I agree with ap70 completely!

The condo boom of the past 10 years have given us some better looking buildings on the outside, but whoever is responsible for the interior spaces need to re-evaluate the layouts.

With the increased number of smaller sqft suites, many designs have bathroom and bedroom doors opening directly into LR/DR/kitchens, which can make furniture placement awkward since wall space is reduced.

Also, many units regardless it be a 1bd or 2bd completely lack sufficient closet/storage space which is paramount in compact sizes.

As an example, here is a unit from Tribute's Queen/Portland project that another poster was inquiring about - it's 1197 sqft 3bd/2bath.
I've attached the original developer's plan, and I did a revised mock up.

Personally, I found the 2 axcillary bedrooms too compact for anything beyond a single bed and nightstand, had entrances which broke up one of the main LR/DR walls. The pot'l purchaser had some issues with lack of natural light in the original kitchen placement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the poor quality with slightly off wavy lines (no, the walls are not supposed to be that way ... LOL

- I've enlarged the other 2 bedrooms and given them a common entrance nook which allows more unbroken walls in LR/DR for furniture placement;
- moved the kitchen towards the end of the space so that sunlight can reach in and provided an extra pantry for groceries, etc;
- moved the 2nd washroom towards entry and abutts master W/R so common plumbing stacks can be used and it doesn't open directly to kitchen/LR/DR which is unsightly. (only downside to washroom here is that some ppl don't want to have to travel from bedrooms);
- you could possibly enlarge the space where the W/D + closet is to become a walk-in storage with W/D since the hallway is much larger than needed (if I'm not making myself clear, I could illustrate it for you).

Attachments

• queen and portland - floorplan[1].jpg
    queen and portland - floorplan[1].jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 194
  • queen and portland - floorplan - rev 1.JPG
    queen and portland - floorplan - rev 1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 205
I'd like to see Toronto impose a minimum size for a living unit, otherwise we'll end up like London & Paris where people live in spaces no bigger than a large closet.

I'd like to see Toronto impose a minimum size for a living unit, otherwise we'll end up like London & Paris where people live in spaces no bigger than a large closet.

Maybe, but then you may be effectively shutting lower income people and first-time buyers out of the market. Sometimes the best way to get your foot into the door of home ownership is to start small.

Our condo is tiny, but its almost 20 years old the layout is quite efficient. There are some compromises, of course, like no proper area for a table (well, I guess there was but now it's an office). My biggest pet peeve is also the opening of the bathroom door on to the main living area, but in a small space, there's not always much option. A bathroom opening into a kitchen, though? Yikes, there outta be a law.

I agree, an interesting issue. Perhaps a reason/driving force for this is that many people do focus more on the exterior of a building than on the interior. Think about it. Even in a major condo building you might have what, 1000 people living in it. The city has what, 5 million people living in it now? That's far more eyes seeing the pretty exterior of a building than those that suffer through poorly designed suites.

I remember visiting a friends condo on Queens Quay (the circular ones, I forgot the marketing name). While ok looking on the outside, the round exterior made the suites very difficult to work with. His happened to be a bachelor and looked essentially like a curved hallway that opened up to a common living/sleeping/kitchen area, but the curved wall made arranging furniture difficult.

If CDR doesn't mind I might take some artistic license on your adjusted floor plan. Looking at it gave me some ideas to try out.

If CDR doesn't mind I might take some artistic license on your adjusted floor plan. Looking at it gave me some ideas to try out.

Sure, go ahead.
It's always interesting to see how others would have planned out the space.
Keep in mind that we can't change structural features like the pillars :D

If anything, I probably should have made the closets in the other 2 bedrooms larger to 4.5 ft deep walk-ins since the bedrooms are much larger now, and the same for the hall closet where the W/D are in thereby providing add'l storage space.

The small sized space problem also has to do with the low area standard for each room stated in the Ontario Building Code. If the OBC increases the standard, developers will have no choice but follow. Mind you that we compare our Toronto condo units to units of most Asian condos, ours are actually still bigger and more spacious. We, North American are traditionally living in big space and we are in a threshold of change.

Back