News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Conservative bills would force ISPs to widen police access

Justice Minister, Public Safety Minister introduce two bills that would give law enforcement much greater access to Internet communications, personal details of subscribers

Ottawa — The Canadian Press, Thursday, Jun. 18, 2009 02:26PM EDT

The Conservative government wants to give police greater powers to eavesdrop on Canadians in cyberspace.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson and Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan introduced two bills Thursday that would give law enforcement much greater access to Internet communications and the personal details of subscribers.

The proposed legislation would: – enable police to access information on an Internet subscriber, such as name, street address and email address, without having to get a search warrant.

* force Internet service providers to freeze data on their hard drives to prevent subscribers under investigation from deleting potentially important evidence.
* require Telecom companies to invest in technology that allows for the interception of Internet communications.
* allow police to remotely activate tracking devices already embedded in cellphones and certain cars, to help with investigations.
* allow police to obtain data about where Internet communications are coming from and going to.
* make it a crime to arrange with a second person over the Internet the sexual exploitation of a child.

Nicholson, flanked at a news conference by police officers, said the changes were necessary to keep up with the changing times.

“Twenty-first century technology calls for 21st century tools for police to effectively investigate crime,†he said.

Van Loan added: “The legislation contains important tools to allow our law enforcement community and our intelligence officials to combat crime and terrorism in the face of rapidly evolving communications technologies.â€

Privacy and civil liberties advocates have raised alarms over the changes, particularly the measure to remove the obligation of police to obtain a warrant before getting personal information about a Canadian Internet user.

Some Internet service providers willingly gave over such information to police in the past, but others insisted on warrants first, which raised the ire of law enforcement officials.

The new regime would allow a select number of law enforcement officials to see the data, and would conduct regular audits on how the information is being viewed and accessed.

Ick. Can I have privacy, please?

While I can see some provisions in there that might be useful to law enforcement, there's no excuse to not require a warrant. I hope this bill dies off.

don't warrants provide checks to prevent people from using their privileged positions for personal gain/reasons?

don't warrants provide checks to prevent people from using their privileged positions for personal gain/reasons?

Exactly. And if they are worried about the suspect finding out or something, they can get warrants that aren't public. I find it interesting that the intelligence community has significantly stricter controls than the police placed on it, and they don't even have powers of arrest or detention and their information is usually not usable in court. If CSIS and the rest of the intelligence community can do their jobs without greatly expanded powers, why the police need them is beyond me.

To me this is just another comparison to be brought up to the Bush admin and Republican Congress. They stripped the rights away of Americans so that no warrant was required for any kind of electronic survellience, Obama still hasn't changed the law BTW, and phone companies actively turn over information to the gov't.

Harper is following in the same footsteps and its yet another reason why he's anything but moderate, people need to realize this man is pretty hard-right.

Exactly. And if they are worried about the suspect finding out or something, they can get warrants that aren't public. I find it interesting that the intelligence community has significantly stricter controls than the police placed on it, and they don't even have powers of arrest or detention and their information is usually not usable in court. If CSIS and the rest of the intelligence community can do their jobs without greatly expanded powers, why the police need them is beyond me.

i can foresee alot of ways this "extra tool" can be exploited; for competing businesses' secrets, personal beefs, stalking, criminal activity such as using the new powers for mob/gang intel gathering (intel for mob/gangs to use) via crooked cop proxy. basically a tool to steal and/or sell sensitive info.

checks like warrants get more people involved which makes it harder for individuals to use the system in such manners as posted above.

Yeah, this is bad all around. Echoing BrandonTo416, this reminds me of a Patriot Act Lite, and bypasses the regular steps to spying on John Q. Public and that is asking for trouble.

This is something to fight an election over. I wonder whether this is even constitutional.

I would certainly hope that someone would take it to court. It sure sounds like unreasonable search to me, and our Supreme Court is fortunately less cowed than its American counterpart. This is absolutely something to fight an election over.

It will not go anywhere.

It appears Harper is playing a game where he releases law and order bills that have some good parts but includes stupidity that the other parties cannot agree on.

The only reason I can see that is maybe he want to point the opposition as soft on crime.

Chances are that by the time this ever gets to the Senate (assuming it does) an election will be called before it can get passed. People need to get it through their heads that the government spying on you on the Internet is no different than them going through your mail.

Same as wiretapping too... and because I have an internet phone does that not mean they'd be able to legally tape my calls without a warrant.

What's especially stupid is people just have to encrypt their data and it makes the whole exercise pointless which anyone committing major criminal activity is definitely doing if their the least bit intelligent.

w.ll.am

Encryption only deals with the content of your usage - not the patterns of your usage - and that information can be hugely damaging in itself.

AoD

Back