News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Several mentions of Midland so far, but I'm struggling to see its appeal. I went there last summer, and the older downtown is fairly rough around the edges. Bit of a hurtin' place compared with some other similarly sized towns.

Some historical sites in and around Midland...
huronia-museum-ouendat.jpg

From link.

Several mentions of Midland so far, but I'm struggling to see its appeal. I went there last summer, and the older downtown is fairly rough around the edges. Bit of a hurtin' place compared with some other similarly sized towns.

True true....I haven't been since 2011 so perhaps my opinion of the place is stale.

Midland's okay. We're a few clicks away and it's our main town. The waterfront is slowly getting upgraded after an industrial site shut down (grain elevator still operating). Main drag torn up this year for a rebuild. Like many central Ontario towns, it struggles attracting employment but the ones that are there seem pretty stable. |Main raison d'etre is tourism. From the Admiral's perspective, it is fairly walkable; banks, restaurants, bakery and a grocery store downtown. Box stores out on the highway.

Midland's okay. We're a few clicks away and it's our main town. The waterfront is slowly getting upgraded after an industrial site shut down (grain elevator still operating). Main drag torn up this year for a rebuild. Like many central Ontario towns, it struggles attracting employment but the ones that are there seem pretty stable. |Main raison d'etre is tourism. From the Admiral's perspective, it is fairly walkable; banks, restaurants, bakery and a grocery store downtown. Box stores out on the highway.

I don't know...I traveled to many small Ontario towns last summer, and Midland just struck me as pretty far down the list in terms of desirability. That being said, it's no Trenton - now that place is a hole.

I avoid public negative judgments on places- I figure they're somebody's home town (although I may well harbour views!). I've only been in Trenton a few times but did have a meal in a nice patio backing on the river. Brownfield former industrial lands are difficult to deal with unless you can find another of replace it with housing/retail commercial/retail. Trenton used to be a fairly significant rail junction with the accompanying industries but all or most of that is gone.

So-called 'military towns', particularly those where it is the major 'industry', tend to have a more challenging history because of the more transient nature of the personnel and many of the amenities are self-contained on the base. Less so now - many of the amenities are now accessible to the public. Angus used to be one tough town before the base downsized (in terms of resident population) and it turned into a bedroom for Barrie and Alliston.

People have to remember that most small towns aren't theme parks like the Village at Blue or, some may argue, Picton. Although many do cater to whatever segment of the tourist population they can, year-round, they serve as a commercial/retail centre for their catchment area and struggle to attract and hold employment. In most cases, tourist income is a few months but expenses are year-round.

I don't know...I traveled to many small Ontario towns last summer, and Midland just struck me as pretty far down the list in terms of desirability. That being said, it's no Trenton - now that place is a hole.

Trenton..........only passed through a couple of times on the way back from elsewhere..............I didn't remember it being quite that bad.........

1596205879960.png

I will say, the waterfront park here needs a bit of design help.

1596205988087.png

Trenton..........only passed through a couple of times on the way back from elsewhere..............I didn't remember it being quite that bad.........

View attachment 260842

I will say, the waterfront park here needs a bit of design help.

View attachment 260843

I was there last summer, and was a bit taken aback by the place. It has none of the charm or appeal of many other towns its size. I found it depressing actually.

I was in Paris today for lunch with my motorcycle club. Had a nice lunch at Stillwater’s.

The rooftop, by chance? Had a great day there once with a group for my sister's engagement pary part 2: friends edition.

Alright, never mind that bollocks....what was your impression of the town?

My observation of people in more cases than not is if you end up with a grandchild or more it doesn’t matter where you plan to move. Your choice of were to live will be made up for you ;)
My Grandparents were all back in the UK. I wouldn’t be surprised if my kids moved Australia.

The rooftop, by chance? Had a great day there once with a group for my sister's engagement pary part 2: friends edition.

Alright, never mind that bollocks....what was your impression of the town?
I always enjoy Paris, I visit every year for the https://cvmg.ca/ParisRally/ when Covid doesn’t force a cancel.

Back