News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That was my experience when I moved to Fredericton. Atlantic Canadians are superficially famously friendly, but not welcoming to permanent newcomers. I find downtown Torontonians to be the oppsoite, warily standoffish at first, but warmly welcoming once acquainted.
I think that applies to Canada vis-a-vis Toronto at large, TBH.

Living rural/small town is no different than living in a big city - you have to commit. Boring and depressing? Play hockey, join a curling club, snowmobile, cross-country (or downhill) ski. It's mostly at your door. Small towns are not just little versions of big cities.

I'm surprised your friend didn't like Picton. I think there are more ex-pat Torontonians than locals.
Exactly, there are so many things to do, you just need to join groups.

That was my experience when I moved to Fredericton. Atlantic Canadians are superficially famously friendly, but not welcoming to permanent newcomers. I find downtown Torontonians to be the oppsoite, warily standoffish at first, but warmly welcoming once acquainted.
Being from New Brunswick myself, I can see how you felt that way. Strangers are usually not welcomed to stay in a small knitted close-minded monocultural community. It's a recent phenomenon that people are heading to the Atlantic provinces so folks will need to adapt or their villages will stay in decay.

Something about the friendliness of Torontonians, when at a food court/publlic space strangers come sit and talk with you. It's something my friends didn't believe at all happens and I showed them last time I was there on how weird it is.

I'll just slot this in here as Paris, Ontario has been mentioned in this thread before:

Back