News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Corktown purchasers were sent a finishing selections letter this week (a bit premature!). Streetcar indicates that "construction has started on Corktown Phase 1". Well, not really. Streetcar has demolition permits for the existing buildings at 52 Sumach and 569 King, but there has been no ruling from the OMB and far as I can tell no other construction related permits have been issued. The meeting for selection of finishes aren't being scheduled until October but I'm not planning on handing over any more cash until permits have been issued there's a hole in the ground.

569 King E is coming down now, newsletter from Streetcar says that it will take 4 weeks and after the initial work they will start taking down 52 Sumach.

Hello everyone,

Sam here from Streetcar, just wanting to clarify any confusion over the OMB decision.

First, we are of course very pleased with the decision; we worked at length with the community to devise the best development proposal possible, and we are very excited about our final plans. With the OMB decision now published, we are happy to close this chapter.

Allow me to clarify that this project was appealed to the OMB not by the City or the community, but by Streetcar itself. We did this in order to escalate the re-zoning process, and it’s worth mentioning that the City appeared at the hearing in support of our development.

As for the final order being withheld, this was done at our request to provide us with the flexibility to make any additional zoning changes if needed. The site plan is a completely separate matter and is currently in final circulation with the City.

The matter before the Board has been resolved and is final. It is in no way impeding us proceeding with construction.

As some of you have likely noticed, demolition is already well underway, and now it’s full speed ahead on getting Corktown District built and occupied.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at corktowndistrict@streetcar.ca.

Allow me to clarify that this project was appealed to the OMB not by the City or the community, but by Streetcar itself. We did this in order to escalate the re-zoning process, and it’s worth mentioning that the City appeared at the hearing in support of our development.
I'm trying to picture that scene at the hearing...

City of Toronto (to OMB): "We love this proposal! Please force us to speed up our re-zoning process to allow it to proceed!"

yea sorry something is not adding up.

According to Streetcar, excavation and shoring work is set to begin at the end of the month. However, a search of the Building Applications site indicates these permits are still under review.

Seeing some progress on this project will make me feel better about having to hand over a cheque for upgrades/finishes BEFORE the project has even started. Methinks Streetcar is running a little low on cash these days.

They moved an excavator onto the 569 King site this morning so it does look like they are prepping for digging. There is another at 52 Sumach that has been sitting there since they took down the building in the summer.

They moved an excavator onto the 569 King site this morning so it does look like they are prepping for digging. There is another at 52 Sumach that has been sitting there since they took down the building in the summer.
Perhaps they just have a couple of spare diggers? According to the City's permit application site they have applied for three permits (in August) and all are 'under review". (See: http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/setup.do?action=init )

Well they began digging this morning at 569 King E. and a flyer from Streetcar just showed up announcing that they were commencing excavation and shoring work which was expected to take 6 weeks or so and then 52 Sumach will commence followed by 549 King East. Of course they stopped at noon and the site is deserted as of mid afternoon but I guess someone had to distribute the flyers to the neighbourhood. :)

Well they began digging this morning at 569 King E. and a flyer from Streetcar just showed up announcing that they were commencing excavation and shoring work which was expected to take 6 weeks or so and then 52 Sumach will commence followed by 549 King East. Of course they stopped at noon and the site is deserted as of mid afternoon but I guess someone had to distribute the flyers to the neighbourhood. :)

That's alright - they were thoughtful enough to start excavating at 7am. Ahhh, welcome to the neighbourhood Streetcar!

According to the City website their permits are still under review - but they are not the first people to go ahead without them!

if Streetcar builds without permits ... I can ASSURE you they will be not be the first people to be shut down by a 'stop work order' (which is a provincial offense) :p

I've noticed trucks coming in and out of the Bright Street entrance (street behind Sumach where they're laying a few townhouses). Looks like some activity has finally begun.

Back