News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

This site is going for the permanent under-construction look. It is time to either finish the building (which doesn't fit the neighbourhood) or tear it down and reuse the steel framing since that is mostly all this structure is.

Another view: CLICK

I don't about that--in terms of scale it fits in just fine. It looks like it will be a very modern infill, which is OK because Corktown is a mishmash of styles anyhow. Some truly modern buildings are more authentic (imo) than faux-historica, like the townhomes at Shuter & River and Queen & St. Paul (or for that matter 80s infills on Wascana, Tracy, Trefann and Sackville).

Laneway housing is oh so sweet.

Want to split on 2500 in rent?

Hey, Johnny Kay, 2500, split four ways ain't that much. I could afford to just split it with one other person even.

I just don't have any friends that can say the same. :(

or, I do but they all own condos

Haha, I could do four ways. Perhaps three, though I'll need to bug my company for a bit of a raise.

Done! I'll convince two of my condo-owning "rich" friends to sell their places (at a loss, no doubt) and move in with us. It'll be grand!

Another view: CLICK

I don't about that--in terms of scale it fits in just fine. It looks like it will be a very modern infill, which is OK because Corktown is a mishmash of styles anyhow. Some truly modern buildings are more authentic (imo) than faux-historica, like the townhomes at Shuter & River and Queen & St. Paul (or for that matter 80s infills on Wascana, Tracy, Trefann and Sackville).

Laneway housing is oh so sweet.

I'd have to agree. Part of Corktown's fabric is its mish-mash of building styles and archtectual eras. Corktown is what it is because of it's mixture of auto garages and basilicas, cubed houses next to the highway and little cottages tucked away on the mews'. I love the strange urban combination of factories and offramps, English row houses and glass condos. It's what makes CT distinct. This isn't Cabbagetown, nor is it trying to be. CT fails when it tries to emulate its history. We need to preserve our cities history but also give it room to grow. There are numerous opportunities in the area with multiple car lots, empty fields and unused garages. As long as it works with the appropriate scale of the neighbourhood, I'm all for these little infill projects.

Has anyone heard anything about the dig at King / Parliament? Apparently archeologists have been called in and the excavation is on hold. I wonder if this has anything to do with Corktown's mass burial site from a century ago.

Has anyone heard anything about the dig at King / Parliament? Apparently archeologists have been called in and the excavation is on hold. I wonder if this has anything to do with Corktown's mass burial site from a century ago.

This is, I assume, the former TTC turning circle which was leased/sold to the Porsche dealer so he can move from First Parliament site. There are three permits outstanding but he has a reputation for moving VERY slowly on his various building projects. (He also owns the car dealership at Front/Eastern which took years to build and the site is still not tidied up.) Wh do you think archaeologists are on site?? The Corktown burial site was in Queen beside St Patrick's Church.
The permits are:

64 PARLIAMENT ST

08 224227 STS 00 Drain and Site Service Nov 24, 2008 Under Review
08 210402 DEM 00 Demolition Folder (DM) Oct 6, 2008 Under Review
08 210406 BLD 00 New Building Oct 6, 2008 Under Review

Speaking of burial grounds, the parkette at Power and Richmond (where a new off leash dog park is going) actually does have a mass grave of cholera victims below it. That's why no one has contested a dog park going in there. They can't do much else with the land.

Speaking of burial grounds, the parkette at Power and Richmond (where a new off leash dog park is going) actually does have a mass grave of cholera victims below it. That's why no one has contested a dog park going in there. They can't do much else with the land.

You sure do know a lot about mass graves! What is/are your source/sources?

If you're complete nerd, you can read the King & Parliament / King & Spadina plans 1996-01 (gives some info on revelopment in the area during that timespan)

You sure do know a lot about mass graves! What is/are your source/sources?

I had read about it in the past, but recently saw it mentioned in the print version of the latest "Bulletin". The article does not appear online yet, but I'll post it when it does. I'll try and dig up some other cholera goodies! (not literally of course)

I finally found some info on that corner property at King / Sackville.

Here's the OMB report: www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl081604-Apr-16-2009.pdf

Seems like 2 neighbours made an appeal with a restaurant going in there, but it looks like it's gonna happen!

Their first concern was pretty silly: 1. A restaurant is not suitable for this location;

That is very good news, more restaurants in the area are a good thing to me. Now I wonder what type of place will go in.

I, too, am curious about the dig at King and Parliament. I pass it every weekday and check on their progress. I'm no expert, but I assume the brickwork being unearthed are remains of the St. Lawrence Foundry, also known as William Hamilton & Son. I have not yet been able to find a photo of the foundry, but I did manage to extract a reasonable image from an 1876 bird's-eye view of Toronto that I found at:

http://prod.library.utoronto.ca:8090/maplib/digital/bev1876.html

The second image is from the 1890 Goad's Fire Insurance Plan.

Attachments

• 1876slf.jpg
    1876slf.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 1890slf.jpg
    1890slf.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 316
I really wish that more of the early Victorian industrial buildings still existed around the city. They are perhaps some of my favourite structures, I've always had a thing for 19th century industrial architecture.

Back