News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It seems that Nissan at 508 king east is packing up and moving to 165 front St. East.
Are you sure it's 165 Front Street East? That's the Young People's Theatre. I just got their flyer for next season in the mail, and there was no mention of them moving.

Correct you are, my mistake. 265 front St. East.

Are you sure it's 165 Front Street East? That's the Young People's Theatre. I just got their flyer for next season in the mail, and there was no mention of them moving.

Correct you are, my mistake. 265 front St. East.
Ah, the First Parliament site. Presumably another short-term location. I'd have thought King East would have been a better location for them, with more stability. Though did they have a garage in there?

Ah, the First Parliament site. Presumably another short-term location. I'd have thought King East would have been a better location for them, with more stability. Though did they have a garage in there?

They have signed a 4 year lease for the First Parliament site. It used to be a Porsche dealership and Infinity (Nissan) has been using the garages for the past few years. Now it will go back to being a dealership for 4 years. Really disappointing. We were hoping they'd be started on the library well within the next 4 years, but apparently not.

They have signed a 4 year lease for the First Parliament site. It used to be a Porsche dealership and Infinity (Nissan) has been using the garages for the past few years. Now it will go back to being a dealership for 4 years. Really disappointing. We were hoping they'd be started on the library well within the next 4 years, but apparently not.
Yes, the Ontario Heritage Trust (who own the Porsche/Interpretive Centre/Infiniti dealer building) took everyone by surprise and just signed a 4-year lease. They did not have the courtesy to even inform the owners of the rest of the block (The City and the Library Board) who were, we thought, working with them and neighbourhood groups on a plan that was to see construction start on the new District library in 2017. People, including Councillor Pam McConnell and MPP Glen Murray) are NOT happy! It will be discussed at SLNA next week. See http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/Delegate's Agenda - April 2015.pdf and I think at several other neighbourhood get-togethers.

That's good, but nothing can be done at this point. Is the OHT an agency of the Province? If so, how could Glen Murray not be aware?
The OHT is a 'creature of the Province" - it has a Board and they report to the Minister of Tourism so there would be no need to inform Glen Murray. (Though they were clearly unwise to have ignored both Pam McConnell and Glen Murray and the Working Group on which they/we all sit!)

The OHT is a 'creature of the Province" - it has a Board and they report to the Minister of Tourism so there would be no need to inform Glen Murray. (Though they were clearly unwise to have ignored both Pam McConnell and Glen Murray and the Working Group on which they/we all sit!)
I hope their board gets called on the carpet in front of the minister, then.

TTC website says April today. But it said February last week. Sigh.
So with the end of April nigh the TTC has updated the webpage for the 503/504 diversion to now say mid-May 2015. http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

Which, while another delay, is at least only a couple of weeks away. I didn't really believe it would open in April, given when I walked down mid-last week there was still no overheard between Cherry and River.

So possibly it will re-open after over 20 months. Recall that when it was closed on September 9, 2013, it was supposed to reopen in November 2013 - http://web.archive.org/web/20130919..._Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

So with the end of April nigh the TTC has updated the webpage for the 503/504 diversion to now say mid-May 2015. http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp

Which, while another delay, is at least only a couple of weeks away. I didn't really believe it would open in April, given when I walked down mid-last week there was still no overheard between Cherry and River.

So possibly it will re-open after over 20 months. Recall that when it was closed on September 9, 2013, it was supposed to reopen in November 2013 - http://web.archive.org/web/20130919..._Advisories/Route_diversions/504_King_bdg.jsp
It has been a long time but it's NOT the TTC's fault (for a change!). Infrastructure Ontario had to work near bridge foundations and then discovered it hardly had any!

It has been a long time but it's NOT the TTC's fault (for a change!). Infrastructure Ontario had to work near bridge foundations and then discovered it hardly had any!
Still, the TTC has hardly been putting IO's feet to the fire, often posting ludicrously short time frames for reopening, months earlier than the timeframe IO was touting.

And it's hard to believe the slow order on the Queen Bridge is still necessary. I doubt TTC has even bothered to ask if they could lift it ...

I'd be surprised if they wrap up by mid-May - they still seem to be doing a lot of work at the base of the bridge.

And seriously, if the bridge is safe now, why the slow order? It can really clog things up on the bridge and the River/Queen/King intersection during rush hours. The King/River intersection is particularly dangerous for anyone on foot or cycling due to drivers turning without paying attention, and backing up the intersection when the light changes.

I'd be surprised if they wrap up by mid-May - they still seem to be doing a lot of work at the base of the bridge.
I haven't seen from any angle but a streetcar on Queen recently, but that looks like stones the flood protection - which in itself shouldn't require closure. Afterall, they haven't closed the Queen bridge.

Oh ... TTC have changed mid-May on the website to May 10. Maybe it's really going to happen! There should be a parade or something! :)

I haven't seen from any angle but a streetcar on Queen recently, but that looks like stones the flood protection - which in itself shouldn't require closure. Afterall, they haven't closed the Queen bridge.

Oh ... TTC have changed mid-May on the website to May 10. Maybe it's really going to happen! There should be a parade or something! :)

I just walked down there and they appear to be dismantling the temporary bridge supports and the TTC has done more wiring on King in the last week or so. It really may be reopening.....

The TTC NextBus announcement in the shelter at Sackville Street now says ".... diversion until 10th May 2015". Frankly, I do not believe it as they still have no overhead from Sumach to River but the metal bridge supports are now pretty well removed so it MAY be coming closer. This date agrees with the TTC webpage which says "Route diverting between Parliament Street and River Street, extended to May 10, 2015". At least they are sending a consistent message, though it may well be wrong, again!

Last edited:

Back