News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The business which owns the Berkeley Church and Berkeley Field House have very suddenly gone into bankruptcy. They also own La Maquette at King and Church.

As a neighbour I can say they had a big event at the Berkeley Church as recently as Saturday night.
I used to love La Maquette back when it was a restaurant. I was sad when they moved to an "event hall only" model. Maybe the lack of exposure to regular customers who might later think "Hey, that would make a nice place for a party!" hurt their business? I rarely actually saw an event happening there (though admittedly, I'm not in that neighbourhood as much anymore). And I loved the Berkeley Church! Such a dramatic spot. 😢

I used to love La Maquette back when it was a restaurant. I was sad when they moved to an "event hall only" model. Maybe the lack of exposure to regular customers who might later think "Hey, that would make a nice place for a party!" hurt their business? I rarely actually saw an event happening there (though admittedly, I'm not in that neighbourhood as much anymore). And I loved the Berkeley Church! Such a dramatic spot. 😢
Yes, La Maquette was a pretty good restaurant in a nice space and it seemed to sit empty most of the time after it was bought out. The building is owned by the City and it will be interesting to see who goes there.

I think it's very good news that Corktown will be getting three new places to eat and drink in the near future.

As previously discussed here: Rosebud Restaurant and Wine Bar at 498 King E, in the formers Kingsbrae diner. https://www.instagram.com/rosebudto/

A few doors down: Ladybug Wine at 519 King E, in the former Odin/Nava Social cafe space. https://www.instagram.com/ladybugwine/

Technically a few steps outside Corktown but very close: Lisbon Hotel at 19 Lawren Harris Sq, in the base of a new condo build. https://www.instagram.com/lisbon_hotel/

Someone posted here, somewhere. Maybe in St Lawrence - this is really in St L.
Will be interesting to see the psychogeographical changes that will happen when Corktown Station opens at King and Berkeley. I expect such a landmark will shift the boundaries of what is considered "Corktown" further west, perhaps all the way to Sherbourne as people in the 2030's will start to associate that station as the geographic center of Corktown.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the psychogeographical changes that will happen when Corktown Station opens at King and Berkeley. I expect such a landmark will shift the boundaries of what is considered "Corktown" further west, perhaps all the way to Sherbourne as people in the 2030's will start to associate that station as the geographic center of Corktown.
There are some who think the Station should actually be re-named as "First Parliament" and I understand that the station names are not yet definitive so this scenario may not play out....... (Certainly better 'geographic' names rather than 'commemorative'ones; we hardly want to see any named after one of the Ford Brothers or one of their developer chums!)

There are some who think the Station should actually be re-named as "First Parliament" and I understand that the station names are not yet definitive so this scenario may not play out....... (Certainly better 'geographic' names rather than 'commemorative'ones; we hardly want to see any named after one of the Ford Brothers or one of their developer chums!)
By the 2030s, when this opens, it'll more likely be named 'Staples.ca Office Supplies Station brought to you by Scotiabank'.

There's a multi family garage sale being held this Saturday, October 30 on Old Trillium Lane (just North of the Humane Society) from 9:00 to 1:00. Tons of great stuff. Free stuff too. Please drop by! No early birds please.

Last edited:
Work on Lisbon Hotel. Taken 28 September.

IMG_4141.jpeg

I guess this is the most appropriate one of the neighbourhoods for this, though it's in the mushy middle of several.

I was surprised to see the Shoppers at Queen and Parliament today had shut down, but even more surprised at the sign in the window that said they are moving to Queen and Ontario Streets... which, where would they go there? Or do they mean they are moving into the new ROQ City development when it is done? Though that's a year off or more for the retail store space to open up there, so why did they close already? Unless maybe that Benjamin Moore paint store is closing? That might be enough space for a Shoppers.

Another possibility is I completely misread the sign, but I'm sure it was Queen & something :D.

Really the big loss is the post office there. I liked diverting packages there as opposed to having sent to my building as despite rules to the contrary Amazon would often simply dump everything on the mailroom floor and leave.

Last edited:
Yup, I walked by the area a couple of weeks ago on my stroll, and made it my point to find the new "Shoppers". I walked in and was dumbfounded at how tiny it is. The pharmacist was probably wondering what this weirdo was doing trying to peek into the back (I thought maybe there was more to the store but nope). I don't know if they accept packages there but gut feeling is no.

Back