News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It will divert south, connecting to both Front Street & Mill Street along with some other new streets.

It should be fairly effective at dispersing traffic. The new street light at King & River will also slow things down. (And make it easier for residents of the Corktown Districts Condos to get to the Beer Store.)

wdl-street-grid.jpg

There are photos of the new Bayview Avenue section and of parts of Lower River Street (called Street A on the map above) on the River City thread.

It will divert south, connecting to both Front Street & Mill Street along with some other new streets.

It should be fairly effective at dispersing traffic. The new street light at King & River will also slow things down. (And make it easier for residents of the Corktown Districts Condos to get to the Beer Store.)

wdl-street-grid.jpg

Thanks for the map. This should be a nice opportunity to both show off the new underpass park as that section of eastern should get an influx of car traffic and reduce the traffic on king. Seems to me that the majority of the car traffic on king during the rush hours is cars coming to and from bayview as cars from the DVP would utilize the eastern ramp. Excellent point about the beer store. A lesiurely stroll across king vs. a mad sprint will be welcome:)

Until 2015, however, Bayview Avenue traffic will divert via Street 'B' (Lawren Harris Square), then back up Lower River Street to King Street. Lights have been installed at King and River Streets, and the plan is for all of this to open by December (though Bayview is looking a bit too incomplete for that schedule).

Mill Street will remain closed until after the Pan Am Games, as it is required for construction access and then for the games themselves.

Until 2015, however, Bayview Avenue traffic will divert via Street 'B' (Lawren Harris Square), then back up Lower River Street to King Street. Lights have been installed at King and River Streets, and the plan is for all of this to open by December (though Bayview is looking a bit too incomplete for that schedule).

Mill Street will remain closed until after the Pan Am Games, as it is required for construction access and then for the games themselves.

They are making the final adjustments to things and apparently hope to pour the concrete base for Bayview either tomorrow or Monday - or so a Security Guard on site told me today. They have already poured the curbs. There is still a short section of Bayview right on the berm (about 100 meters) where they are installing additional drainage but he thought this would get curbs early next week and concrete by next weekend, if the weather holds. Paving can follow quite soon afterwards.
They are also busily installing a brick road surface on Lawren Harris Square, where the concrete base was poured a few weeks ago.

Until 2015, however, Bayview Avenue traffic will divert via Street 'B' (Lawren Harris Square), then back up Lower River Street to King Street.
It will also be able to turn down Eastern and up St. Lawrence Street. Could also go all the down Eastern to ... uh ... Eastern (we need a name change here ...), but it's right-turn only, and would take you west of the Don.

Lights have been installed at King and River Streets, and the plan is for all of this to open by December
No lights have been installed yet. The River/King intersection also has yet to be modified, even though the new piece of River Street is already constructed ... with about a 5-metre gap missing at King. City Council is yet to approve the connection. Presumably it will be on the November 29th agenda as it went through Toronto-East-York council earlier this month. However, that item noted that the new signals would be the subject of a future council approval ... which means mid-January at least I'd think. Unless they go ahead and buy the hardware before they get approval to install, I'd think an opening is still a while away ... and at best beginning of February.

(though Bayview is looking a bit too incomplete [/quote[for that schedule).
I noticed today that they were putting curb in, south of Eastern. However, I don't think they can even start building the piece up the hill, until they sort out issues with the flood protection design ... and that could be months away. I'd think that we'd be looking at late-Spring/Summer for that issue ... unless they put in some kind of temporary road.

Edit - just saw DSC's post. So perhaps they've found a solution for the flood protection design before winter comes! I guess that means that council approval of traffic signals would be the key issue.

Last edited:
No lights have been installed yet. The River/King intersection also has yet to be modified, even though the new piece of River Street is already constructed ... with about a 5-metre gap missing at King. City Council is yet to approve the connection. Presumably it will be on the November 29th agenda as it went through Toronto-East-York council earlier this month. However, that item noted that the new signals would be the subject of a future council approval ... which means mid-January at least I'd think. Unless they go ahead and buy the hardware before they get approval to install, I'd think an opening is still a while away ... and at best beginning of February.

See photo of new traffic lights in post 322 on the River City Thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...Saucier-Perrotte)/page22?highlight=river+city So far they have put up the two lights on the south side of King Street - in the photo - and have also put up the (temporary) wooden poles for those on north side. They have also done some preliminary work to close off the existing road that comes up from underneath the bridge.

The decision of the Toronto and East York Community Council on the road changes and the traffic lights appears to be final and needs no further approval by City Council. The minutes say this is all "Delegated Authority":

Committee Decision

The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Approved the alteration of River Street, from King Street East to Queen Street East, to allow for the construction of curb and sidewalk on the east side of River Street, reconfiguration of the intersection of River Street and King Street to allow for the installation of traffic control signals, and modifications to the intersection of River Street and Queen Street East generally as shown in Drawing No. 421G-0467, dated October 2011 and attached to the report from the Director of Transportation Services, Toronto and East York District, dated October 14, 2011.

Pouring Bayview today

They are making the final adjustments to things and apparently hope to pour the concrete base for Bayview either tomorrow or Monday - or so a Security Guard on site told me today. They have already poured the curbs. There is still a short section of Bayview right on the berm (about 100 meters) where they are installing additional drainage but he thought this would get curbs early next week and concrete by next weekend, if the weather holds. Paving can follow quite soon afterwards.
They are also busily installing a brick road surface on Lawren Harris Square, where the concrete base was poured a few weeks ago.

A HUGE line of mixers pouring concrete on Bayview today.

More concrete pouring today and lots more work on the short unfinished stretch of road south of Eastern Avenue. Also work on King Street East at River is about to start.

KING ST E
at RIVER ST. Eastbound curb lane closed due to road construction.
START: 11/22/2011 12:00:00 AM
END: N/A
INFO UPDATED: 11/21/2011 2:39:16 PM
DISTRICT: Toronto East York
WARD: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28)
ROAD TYPE: Major Arterial Road

UPDATE: AS anticipated by the permit above, today, 22 November, they are busily working on the new road entrance on south side of King Street.

Last edited:
The decision of the Toronto and East York Community Council on the road changes and the traffic lights appears to be final and needs no further approval by City Council. The minutes say this is all "Delegated Authority":
Ah yes. I think your correct. And this item is conspicuously absent from next week's City Council agenda. So that aspect is done ... I wondered about that when I saw them ripping up the intersection earlier this week.

I also noticed that they had also paved Bayview south of King earlier this week. However everything stops before it goes up the hill. Looks like there is some work being done there ... so perhaps we will see some kind of opening in the next few weeks.

Not sure how traffic lights are going in without council approval. Was there another item in that agenda relating to this I missed?

As far as I could see from the Community Council motion neither the road changes nor the traffic lights needed Council approval and the lights are going in right now in any case.It is certainly not coming to Council next week. The section of Bayview going up the hill (about 100 meters) is being worked on and they are installing some sort of crushed stone drain under it. The security guard I spoke to last week told me that they are intending to pour the concrete on that section next week and then pave the whole stretch. He was right about the first concrete pouring so I guess we will see. I cannot find the quote now but somewhere on the (poorly indexed) WT site I read that the City wants Bayview open by "the end of December".

That's good news then! Hopefully the new lights will let King flow better in morning rush, limiting the number of cars coming off Bayview onto King. Hopefully they don't allow left turns as the new light at River for afternoon rush (those who want to turn north at River, can always turn south at St. Lawrence ... heck it would probably be faster if traffic started to back up).

hah - sorry for the misinformation. I was just walking past the Queen bridge. From there it looked complete (ish)

Back